Hello + Various E30 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alaa.B View Post
    I had a few remarkable moments in my life, one of them was when my E30 test report said PASSED

With E30's, you should get used to rolling up your sleeves and getting your elbow greased. PM me and I can offer you some help if you need.
    Haha - yep there were some moments of fear when the inspectors were checking it out.

This was part of the reason behind the purchase. I'm a synthetic man that clearly grew up with Google, Nintendo and engineering that just worked. hence keen to understand under the hood even if I need mechanic advice.

Reassuring advice though, the previous owner used Elite auto in Al Quoz so I'll be making an introduction.

Comment

i just called oman insurance for my e30 m3 and they quoted me 1090. how much did they charge you?

adnic all of sudden are asking 960 or something like that; i used to pay way less

Comment

955. mine isn't an M3 though so maybe that is the difference?

Comment

The price you are quoted on reflects the value of the car. Lat thing you want is to cheap out on the year payment and if God forbid car is totaled you only get a few bucks for it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Alaa you wont get a penny on 3rd party insurance so saving money is the way to go. these are 3rd party rates we talking about not full insurance.

Comment

[MENTION=3]Bruno[/MENTION] know anyone that can advise on an annoying issue?

Just got the E30 detailed and had a decent interior clean. It needed one! On the way back, the car wasn't coming out of third gear.

Noticed that the knob by the gearshift was on 3:2:1 rather than E.

But it won't switch back to E! This is with placing it in park, engine off keys out...

Suspecting that it was knocked or maybe even broken off in the clean and is stuck in that position. Can get access to the pin and tried to twist with pliers but no luck.

Any thoughts? It's been running so smoothly, very doubtful it's a bigger gearbox issue

Cheers
              Last edited by thejenarator; 23-05-2016, 11:28 PM.

Comment

welcome to the club
                as a various E30's owner over the years in the UAE u can find every consumable thing for E30 mechanically underneath the car which is mostly bushes new (after market) and if they are not there they will order what u need u can get them in 2 weeks maximum but for the interior ,body parts, lights, bumpers, ect only used if u can find them there are certain people who deals in them.

for the wheels its hard to find originals and replica's are available i have BBS rs 15'' 001 for sale by the way

also if u need parts let me know i have too much E30 parts at home :D

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by thejenarator View Post
                [MENTION=3]Bruno[/MENTION] know anyone that can advise on an annoying issue?

Just got the E30 detailed and had a decent interior clean. It needed one! On the way back, the car wasn't coming out of third gear.

Noticed that the knob by the gearshift was on 3:2:1 rather than E.

But it won't switch back to E! This is with placing it in park, engine off keys out...

Suspecting that it was knocked or maybe even broken off in the clean and is stuck in that position. Can get access to the pin and tried to twist with pliers but no luck.

Any thoughts? It's been running so smoothly, very doubtful it's a bigger gearbox issue

Cheers
                most probably its the switch it self

E36 1996 325 coupe MT + supercharged RIP
                E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech + Bolt On's CURRENT
                E30 1989 325 M50 Mtech coupe MT + RIP
                E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech coupe AT SOLD
                E30 1991 325 low 4door AT SOLD
                E30 1988 320 ac schnitzer 4door AT RIP
                E36 1992 325 M50nv MT DRIFT/RACE CAR CURRENT
                E34 1991 525 ac schnitzer Daily CURRENT

Comment

[MENTION=2661]salty[/MENTION] that's good to know, especially if things can be got in 2 weeks.

Might you be able to recommend a place that is familiar with E30's that can take a look at this transmission switch? I reckon if that center panel can be removed (the screw is under the rear ashtray) then it can HOPEFULLY be set back to E.

Google-whacking and this doesn't seem to have occurred anywhere else!

RE Rims - very interested, especially if they are 4lug and would fit the 1992 3.20. at 15" would the springs need to be adjusted or would there be any affect on the ride? Don't want to lower the car as trying to keep it OEM as much as possible.

Cheers

Comment

Welcome to the club!

Well done on picking an E30, just sold my E30 convertible to Norway, man it was a sad moment to let her go.

On the other hand I have an E30 touring :drool:

Regarding your Questions:
                    - Dubai based garages that can get the parts and work on this type of model. Janu in Sharjah any good? - not sure since i never been, but i know our sponsors are good and have experience with older BMWs
                    - Are there parts hard to get hold of here but can get got easily in the UK?- you and your luck sometimes you get lucky here but most of the time parts are ordered from outside the UAE
                    - It is a convertible (manual control) and in generally good condition although there are small rips in the folding crease areas that will need some future help from a fabricator. Anyone had experience on this? there was an old thread about a who who had his whole interior done for 1,500dhs- I did the plastic/glass in Satwa for 500 AED, it was the best thing i did to the car, it totally changed its look, i wish i have done it before selling the car. The guy had to stitch it without taking the roof off.
                    - Maybe the one mod would be to switch the bottle top alloys for BBS. Are these available in Dubai and would they fit this E30? - you might get lucky!

share some pictures of the beauty!!
                    - E82, 1M - Current
                    • Akrapovic Exhaust • BMW Performance Seats • BMW Performance Steering Wheel
                    - E30, 316 Touring - Current
                    • BBS Rims • Eibach Lowering Springs • Some Engine Modifications
                    - Nissan Xterra - Off Road - Current
                    E36, 318 Touring Sold
                    E36, M3 Evo Sold

Facebook Instagram SnapChat

Click HERE to get your BMW ///M Bracelets from BMW Club UAE

Comment

[MENTION=2962]S.BAKI[/MENTION] thanks for your response. Can you share the contact at Satwa? Also, how did it change the whole look?

I'll share some pics when back from the garage. The mechanics noticed that the guibo needs to be replaced so the time/bill is a bit more than expected

Comment

Working...
                      X