My 330Ci's steering becomes heavy when turned to the max

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 330Ci's steering becomes heavy when turned to the max

So I have spent well over 27K in repairs/restoration of a BMW 330ci Convertible 2005 that I got recently which was fixed at the X Service Center. I told them that the steering wheel is kind of heavy, so they changed a few things and added some lubricant and stuff and now it's buttery smooth.

Upon driving it from the X Service Center, this cal feels like a brand new car since it has had almost all components changed to brand new ones, you cannot even tell it's a used car.

Problem is, as I arrived home in Silicon Oasis, I was about to reverse park so I turned the steering wheel fully to the right and began to reverse, that's when I started feeling the steering wheel became heavy as a truck all of a sudden and it was like vibrating to no end, at first I thought the front tire was flat since the feeling it gave me when turning the steering wheel is the same feeling you get when you try turning the wheel with a flat tire. But I checked and the tire was perfect.

So I parked and then shut down the engine then turned it back on and the steering wheel was perfect again.

I thought ok let me ignore it this time.

Next day I went on a ride with my wife to city center and the car was perfect, then again, when I arrived back home, at the same exact sport in the parking lot, the steering wheel became heavy and started vibrating again, when I told this to my friend, he told me that maybe when I am turning the steering wheel fully to the left or to the right while trying to park something is happening.

I will take it back to the X service center tomorrow morning. I hope this is an easy fix as I have no more money to spend on this car, bought it for 24,000 dhs and spent around 27K for a full restoration including interior detailing, exterior detailing, engine detailing, even parts of the leather inside were changed......

what do you think could be the problem?

Originally posted by Matrix Leader View Post
    So I have spent well over 27K in repairs/restoration of a BMW 330ci Convertible 2005 that I got recently which was fixed at the X Service Center. I told them that the steering wheel is kind of heavy, so they changed a few things and added some lubricant and stuff and now it's buttery smooth.

Upon driving it from the X Service Center, this cal feels like a brand new car since it has had almost all components changed to brand new ones, you cannot even tell it's a used car.

Problem is, as I arrived home in Silicon Oasis, I was about to reverse park so I turned the steering wheel fully to the right and began to reverse, that's when I started feeling the steering wheel became heavy as a truck all of a sudden and it was like vibrating to no end, at first I thought the front tire was flat since the feeling it gave me when turning the steering wheel is the same feeling you get when you try turning the wheel with a flat tire. But I checked and the tire was perfect.

So I parked and then shut down the engine then turned it back on and the steering wheel was perfect again.

I thought ok let me ignore it this time.

Next day I went on a ride with my wife to city center and the car was perfect, then again, when I arrived back home, at the same exact sport in the parking lot, the steering wheel became heavy and started vibrating again, when I told this to my friend, he told me that maybe when I am turning the steering wheel fully to the left or to the right while trying to park something is happening.

I will take it back to the X service center tomorrow morning. I hope this is an easy fix as I have no more money to spend on this car, bought it for 24,000 dhs and spent around 27K for a full restoration including interior detailing, exterior detailing, engine detailing, even parts of the leather inside were changed......

what do you think could be the problem?
    Power Steering pump?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by RAFiK View Post
      Power Steering pump?

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
      Most likely the power steering pump. ....when you get into full lock , listen for whistling noises which can be another indication of a weak pump

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
        Most likely the power steering pump. ....when you get into full lock , listen for whistling noises which can be another indication of a weak pump

Man I love how you guys are like BMW Doctors and can know the issue without seeing the car! :D

How much is this pump?

Comment

Well, we are not for sure but we try to give our best bet.
          @shak and [MENTION=188886]Kinetechnik MS[/MENTION] can sort you out on this.

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
          Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
          eMail:
          Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post

took the car this morning to the X Service Center and you were right, it was the steering pump. the original one is not available at the Dubai or Abu Dhabi dealer so they will put an aftermarket one that is made supposedly by the same manufacturer for AED 1,500.

I did also call Kinetechnik and a lady named Angela told me they can get it for 2500. I decided to go with the cheaper option since my pocket is burning from all the money I spent on the repairs lately.

Comment

(Y)

Bingo!

Glad we were right! Good luck!

Need Assistance?
              eMail:
              Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by RAFiK View Post
                (Y)

Bingo!

Glad we were right! Good luck!
                So I got the car today after they changed the steering pump, now the car feels like it's brand new again, I left no stone unturned, everything was changed, brakes, shock absorbers, steering pump, etc

I am so happy! The joy of driving a BMW is better than anything. I have more fun driving this car more than my previous 2013 Mustang V6 Convertible, that thing had a huge lag due to the gear ratios, like if I floor it, it takes about 3 seconds to even start moving, then it starts going really fast. With the 330Ci, the moment I press the gas pedal it starts roaring immediately with 0 lag! I love it. The handling is also much better, I feel it is very stable on the ground.

Next project in about 6 months is I wanna save up to buy an E92 M3 (same like yours, 2 door) which I hope when the time comes, you guys can help me find a clean one since Dubizzle only has like US imported ones or the newer v6 ones which are very expensive and I prefer a V8
                Last edited by Phoenix; 22-12-2015, 04:08 AM.

Comment

glad its all sorted out :) enjoy the car!
                  Current
                  E92 M3 - Mineral White
                  F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                  E36 318is
                  E39 540i ///M sport
                  VW CC
                  E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Thats common issue for the E46
                    Good to hear its sorted out for you

Are you coming to yas event?
                    Would love to see the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    sigpic
                    E46FANATIC

Comment

Originally posted by E46Fanatic View Post
                      Thats common issue for the E46
                      Good to hear its sorted out for you

Are you coming to yas event?
                      Would love to see the car

When is it? if it's anything like the last event in the morning then no, please let me know the date and time.

Comment

When is it? if it's anything like the last event in the morning then no, please let me know the date and time.
                        Dude its on the upcoming events page
                        8th of jan and it will be at night
                        Great for owls xD

sigpic
                        E46FANATIC

Comment

Dude its on the upcoming events page
                          8th of jan and it will be at night
                          Great for owls xD

Great! I'll see you then! :D

Comment

Great! I'll see you then! :D
                            Cool
                            Make sure you click the link in the event page to reserve your place and be ready to buy the membership package in case you didnt as its for paid members only
                            Unless you come to watch only, sure you welcome

sigpic
                            E46FANATIC

Comment

Cool
                              Make sure you click the link in the event page to reserve your place and be ready to buy the membership package in case you didnt as its for paid members only
                              Unless you come to watch only, sure you welcome

I registered, when I try joining as a paid member, it says I am already registered. What gives!

How much is the membership and how much would one need to pay as a one time fee to attend the event?

Comment

Working...
                              X