Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the E46 Convertible open the top remotely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I once test drove a guy's M3 2006 model convertible and he showed me how he can open the convertible top remotely without even being in the car or having the key in, he just pressed a button and the windows rolled down and the top came down.

Now in my recent BMW 330Ci 2005 Convertible, I tried to press and hold the up arrow key which is used to unlock the car, and all it did was it brought down the Windows half way down and stopped, it didn't fully open the convertible.

The service advisor at the X Service Center didn't even know that was a possibility until I told him. So my question is, doe the 330Ci Convertible have the ability to open the top automatically or it has to be done while you are in the car and press the convertible opening button?

Mind you the convertible and all windows work fine

Or maybe there is a trick to doing this or shall I have them check it up as to what could be the issue?

From the factory only windows open when you long press the key. The guy must have coded the car differently to open the convertible top as well.
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

It's possible with coding as said but your battery needs to be in good health.

It looks cool your roof opening as you walk up to the car - but not so cool when it won't start after!

I found a thread on how to code it with NCS I'll see if I can find it & post the link
      Last edited by Robbo; 15-12-2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Have a read here

Guide To Coding With Ncs Expert - Diagnostics and coding - E46 Zone Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Robbo View Post
          It's possible with coding as said but your battery needs to be in good health.

It looks cool your roof opening as you walk up to the car - but not so cool when it won't start after!

I found a thread on how to code it with NCS I'll see if I can find it & post the link
          You don't need NCS for that, I could do it for you.
          Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
          Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
          Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
          Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
          1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
          Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
          eMail:
          Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

[emoji106] is there a better / simpler software that you suggest Rafik?

NCS looks so complicated I've never used it incase it went wrong! I'd like to code the mirrors to
            Fold on locking

Comment

Originally posted by Robbo View Post
              [emoji106] is there a better / simpler software that you suggest Rafik?

NCS looks so complicated I've never used it incase it went wrong! I'd like to code the mirrors to
              Fold on locking
              I could do all that for you ;) There are many simple software tools. You just have to have the right cable, right software, and know exactly what you want to mess with. Messing with wrong parameters can brick your ECU.
              Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
              Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
              Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
              Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
              1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
              Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
              eMail:
              Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by RAFiK View Post
                I could do all that for you ;) There are many simple software tools. You just have to have the right cable, right software, and know exactly what you want to mess with. Messing with wrong parameters can brick your ECU.
                +10000000
                sigpic
                • BMS Dual intake system • BMS Oil Catch Can • BMS Oil Thermostat • COBB FMIC • COBB AccessPort V3 • Aerodynamic kit‬‏ • M Package • Cp-e Tial BOV •Cp-e 3" catless DP • Wedge performance stg3 map • Fox super SS cutback • MMP 2.5 Turbo inlets & outlets • CF Front Splitter Lip Diffuser

When fast cars become cheap, the wrong type of people buy them
                and the e36 M3 is one of the biggest victims of this phenomenon" - BMW Car Magazine

Comment

I have the software & cable and have used winkfp to update my SMG software - that was fairly easy- NCS seems like another level though!

Comment

Its possible just with some coding. come to an event and rafik will do it for you, just let him know in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                      Its possible just with some coding. come to an event and rafik will do it for you, just let him know in advance
                      i wanted to come to the event badly to meet all my new BMW friends but when I saw I had to be there at 7:30 AM I'm like darn! I'm a night owl and I sleep around 4 AM in the morning :(

Are all events so early like this?

Can't wait till I meet my new friends

Comment

Originally posted by Matrix Leader View Post
                        i wanted to come to the event badly to meet all my new BMW friends but when I saw I had to be there at 7:30 AM I'm like darn! I'm a night owl and I sleep around 4 AM in the morning :(

Are all events so early like this?

Can't wait till I meet my new friends
                        Hey buddy,

Lol not all events are so early. Most are later in the day. Do come for the next one on 8th Jan

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk
                        Current
                        E92 M3 - Mineral White
                        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                        E36 318is
                        E39 540i ///M sport
                        VW CC
                        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I once test drove a guy's M3 2006 model convertible and he showed me how he can open the convertible top remotely without even being in the car or having the key in, he just pressed a button and the windows rolled down and the top came down.

Now in my recent BMW 330Ci 2005 Convertible, I tried to press and hold the up arrow key which is used to unlock the car, and all it did was it brought down the Windows half way down and stopped, it didn't fully open the convertible.

The service advisor at the X Service Center didn't even know that was a possibility until I told him. So my question is, doe the 330Ci Convertible have the ability to open the top automatically or it has to be done while you are in the car and press the convertible opening button?

Mind you the convertible and all windows work fine

Or maybe there is a trick to doing this or shall I have them check it up as to what could be the issue?
                          Last night opened the convertible roof by holding the key in the unlock position. ...so it definitely opens if you use the handle lock and key method. Haven't tried the keyless way yet

Current
                          E92 M3 - Mineral White
                          F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                          E36 318is
                          E39 540i ///M sport
                          VW CC
                          E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                            Hey buddy,

Lol not all events are so early. Most are later in the day. Do come for the next one on 8th Jan

awesome!! Cant wait :D

- - - - - - - - - -

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                            Last night opened the convertible roof by holding the key in the unlock position. ...so it definitely opens if you use the handle lock and key method. Haven't tried the keyless way yet

I'm afraid I'm not following, what do you mean if I use the handle lock and key method? I get the key must be held in the unlock position (the up arrow key), but what do you mean the handle lock?

Comment

awesome!! Cant wait :D

- - - - - - - - - -

I'm afraid I'm not following, what do you mean if I use the handle lock and key method? I get the key must be held in the unlock position (the up arrow key), but what do you mean the handle lock?
                              Meaning insert key into the handle lock (manual lock and unlock process) and when your turn to unlock , hold it in the unlock position. The same works when you lock as well (if the convertible top is open and you manually lock the car, hold key in lock position and the top closes along with the windows)

Current
                              E92 M3 - Mineral White
                              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                              E36 318is
                              E39 540i ///M sport
                              VW CC
                              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
                              X