Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BMW Assist / Online Killing me- Calling for Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW Assist / Online Killing me- Calling for Help!

Hello all,

Happy Eid to all.
    I posted a message before about a problem I have with BMW Assist / BMW Online. I've taken the car to AGMC, it's been reprogrammed and AGMC says nothing is wrong with it so now I'm determined to get it fixed. Saturday I am getting a contact in BMW Germany to speak to (for Monday) but I won't wait until then. I need help in any of the following ways:

1. If anyone here uses BMW Online and is willing to meet me- say Wednesday 01/10- so I could see their settings, that would be awesome. I live in Dubai Marina but can meet anywhere.

2. Has anyone got BMW Assist / BMW Online working with du?

3. Does BMW Assist connect through the mobile or through the Navigation? (I have a theory behind this question in my process of elimination)

4. Is it normal that the car is seen as a BT headset yet it is expected to be capable of initiating a data connection on the mobile (unusual for headsets) and how does the phone get told to accept data connection requests from another device.

If you have the answer to any of these questions, I'd appreciate any kind of input. My background and my line of work is telecommunications so I am dead-set on fixing this with AGMC's help or without.

BTW, I have tried 6 different mobiles of mine and 2 of friends over the past few days so I doubt it's the handset.
    BMW 530iA - 2009 Model (Black with brown interior)
    BMW 320i - 2006 Model (White with black interior) [SOLD]

I don't know if these options are actually working here in the UAE... Simplest option of TMS (traffic monitoring system) isn't even working here... Also, I don't think I would want to be checking emails or surfing the web while driving (but that's just me).

Good Luck with your search
    ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

The features do work. UAE is one of a handful of countries worldwide where the full range of BMW Assist and BMW Online features works; including traffic information (I can set the sources in my list).

As for practicality, the feature is there and it's a brand new and expensive car so I expect it work. Whether or not I use it on a daily basis is another story.

Comment

Well in my case, ive tried checking if TMC works, but it doesnt. Regarding the BMW online/ BMW assist, ive got no idea about it because my car doesnt have this option.
        Good to see you persistant about it, if you get any updates share your info with us.

Comment

have you addressed this to AGMC? i'm sure they should be able to clear all these issues. the traffic monitoring system works throug the police system, but i haven't seen it work yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
            have you addressed this to AGMC? i'm sure they should be able to clear all these issues.
            He already took his car regarding this issue to AGMC, it's been reprogrammed and the AGMC told him nothing is wrong with it.

Comment

I'm trying to gain an understanding of how the system works and then I'll be in a better position to troubleshoot/fix it.

During the handover when I received the car at AGMC, my salesman told me that it uses my mobile for the connection (which makes sense). The thing that surprises me is that the phone doesnt seem to be getting any connection request and this is tied to my question of whether or nota bluetooth device lika a headset (as the car is recognised) is capable of initiating a connection request from the phone.

Comment

You need to set your phone into a data connection state, or maybe there is a similar setting in the car.... because by default, when you turn on BT on your phone it is looking for a headset/speakerset to connect to
                ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Originally posted by petrolhead View Post
                  You need to set your phone into a data connection state, or maybe there is a similar setting in the car.... because by default, when you turn on BT on your phone it is looking for a headset/speakerset to connect to
                  The phone already is in connection-state. I use my phone with the car's BT system all the time and it works perfectly (address book and everything). I just can't understand why the other functions don't work.

Comment

mmm have you compared yours with another late model 5 series? :dunno:

Comment

mmm have you compared yours with another late model 5 series? :dunno:
                      Umm... that's what I was hoping one of the kind people around here would allow me to do :rofl: - I'd like to see a late model (2008 or so) 5er so I could see settings, mobile device used and compare.

Comment

there are few people who have the latest model 6 and 5 series. i'll ask them if they can do the comparison with you. will an X6 work?

Comment

there are few people who have the latest model 6 and 5 series. i'll ask them if they can do the comparison with you. will an X6 work?
                          That would be fantastic.
                          I believe an X6 should be just fine for the comparison.

Comment

Working...
                          X