Question for SMG users...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for SMG users...

Hey guys, the previous owner of my M3 recommended that for "day-to-day" driving i should leave my "shift-speed" setting on 3 (out of the 5 available). Is that right? He suggested that any higher would put unnecessary wear on the system.

The other day, on the approach to the Arabian Ranches interchange, i pushed Sport, put the shift speed to max and had a great drive home. The problem is that now the car seems a little mundane without Sport on! How often do you guys "press the danger button" - or do you have it permenantly on?

Oh, and one more thing, although i probably don't want to know - someone remind me how to perform launch control...my friend did show me but i wasn't really paying attention.
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Danger button is the most exciting button in the world... almost every time I'm alone in the car I take a stab at the beast... and my GOD does it respond!!! :drool:

Normal days I leave it on 3rd setting, it changes a lot quicker and on lower RPM so it leaves the engine nice and relaxed. When u click the "Danger" button u're overloading the SMG pump and wearing it out a lot quicker... technicians please correct me :)

Next time you meet with either Bruno, Rifo or me remind us to show u what rev-tac does! da boyz were a little bored and wanted to test their cars... they've got a few interesting tips up their sleeves!

happy driving :D :yuhoo:
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

the sport button will make the car's throttle responsive, you will also feel that the gas pedal will be much more sensitive to your foot movements.

the 3rd level is the normal one. no need to raise that up unless you are street racing :nono:. it will speed up the gearshifts and one doesn't really require that often on regular road trips and city cruising.

never tried launch control and will never want to. i really don't have to blow up the car to know how fast it goes.

Comment

I'm always on sport mode!!! I can't drive the car without seeing that little green light switched on!!! And I always have my shift on 3 rd level, unless i'm in that crazy mood, then its traction control off, max shifting level, and sport on (thats a given!)
        I've never done launch control, and wouldn't want to do it! It will hurt ur car specially if u get used to doing it! it will be fun the first time, which will make it tempting to repeat! I've been in my friends M3, and when he launched it, daaaaamn! lol!
        sigpic
        Audi R8 - White / Blk
        Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Ive never done launch control even in my manual M5, it hurts the car very much.

Comment

Me Too..i am always driving my M with the third SMG option..As is feel it is the best to drive Sporty and smoothly..

but regarding the Launch Control..can any please tell me about..as i never heard about..
            sigpic

Comment

If I had one of those Ms, launch control baby :drool:
              Meskovic
              this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Rifo needed here - He's known for Launching into space :D
                2008 325i coupe
                Stock

Comment

Originally posted by naseem80 View Post
                  Me Too..i am always driving my M with the third SMG option..As is feel it is the best to drive Sporty and smoothly..

but regarding the Launch Control..can any please tell me about..as i never heard about..
                  Launch control is the very moment when you push your car to the max from 0/idle position/stationary position.

Here's a video example of Launch Control

[youtube]7ENCFJloN6k[/youtube]

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                    Launch control is the very moment when you push your car to the max from 0/idle position/stationary position
                    Correct, but i think it's worth mentioning that launch control is controlled mainly by the car...i.e. it's a deliberate process and a design feature of the car, rather than the act of simply slamming your foot to the floor!

How it works, and indeed how you do it, i don't know. There's a procedure you have to go through (put in in sport, take traction control off, press this, press that etc etc). I have been shown once and, as that video suggests, it's a pretty scary experience, and not one i intend on trying myself!
                    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
                    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
                    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
                    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Comment

Well I dont know the exact procedure, im unable to explain, because Ive never driven the SMG :dunno: but definetely its not just stretching your legs on the accelerator pedal :nono:

Comment

1. Warm up the engine by driving ~10 to 15miles
                        2. Find a straight and deserted piece of road
                        3. Shift to neutral
                        4. Turn “DSC” off (warning light appears)
                        5. Turn “Sport” on
                        6. Push the up on the shift bias located behind the shift lever until the 6th bar is showing on the display
                        7. Shift into Auto mode
                        8. Push the shift leaver forward and hold
                        9. Depress the accelerator to the floor slowly (do not let the accelerator up even a fraction of inch throughout)
                        10. Engine should rev and hold at ~2K rpm
                        11. When ready release the shift lever and hold on.
                        12. Maintain the accelerator to the floor throughout the duration because once released the launch control will be aborted

SMG should perform shifts at optimal timing if the transmission is in the automatic mode. Once a certain number of Launch’s have been performed then the computer throws and error code but should self clear after normal driving for ~25miles.

Comment

^ Is that a copy paste or did you actually try it :D
                          Meskovic
                          this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

i copied it... i never launched my baby.

this is why we have rifo to test all the crap on his car first.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                              i copied it... i never launched my baby.

this is why we have rifo to test all the crap on his car first.
                              RiFo and all other guys who bought the M3 for the reason BMW built it! :read:

look who's talking, i used to baby my Z4M and rarely launched it from zero :)

BMW history:
                              07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Working...
                              X