BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz reliability and servicing costs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz reliability and servicing costs

My father has owned two Mercedes's, a 2001 E240 that he bought new in 2001 and a 2009 S350 that he also bought new and is currently driving. Both cars were bought from Gargash. Generally, both cars have been reliable. He has been servicing his 2009 S350 at Gargash and only recently tried another shop for servicing (Silber Arrows). He had a good experience there and is likely to go back to them for his next service. The only thing keeping him from trying BMW next (he has never owned a BMW) are the repeated reports that BMWs are less reliable than a Mercedes and also that AGMC absolutely rapes you with service costs. Is this true? Are BMWs less reliable than a Mercedes? How is AGMC with servicing (costs and actual service wise)?

A 525 and a 740 are as reliable as an E240 or a S350.

Its just that Gargash are a much better dealership than AGMC.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Thanks.

Let's say that he buys a new car from AGMC and it has a service package. Should we take to AGMC for servicing to go somewhere else even though it has a service package from AGMC?

Edit: How are Abu Dhabi's and Sharjah's BMW dealerships? If I am not wrong, they are not AGMC, correct?

Comment

Take it to AGMC. Sharjah is also AGMC.

Abu Dhabi is ADM. They are better than AGMC.
        sigpic

Comment

I heard many take their cars to the X Service Center behind Time Square Mall in Dubai a they are a bit cheaper and provide better service than AGMC.

My wife just bought a new 428Ci Convertible a few months back and she has been doing the service at AGMC and has no complaints yet. They even call you to tell you the service is due as they have access to your car's mileage through their systems so you don't even need to worry about missing a service.

BMW = Sportier than Mercedes with the same class luxury :D

Comment

I've heard the AMG's are much more expensive to maintain than an ///M .... anyone here with AMG experience?
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I used to own an E63 AMG. Definitely a lot less expensive to maintain compared to an ///M.
              sigpic

Comment

My friend owns a 2014 E63 S AMG and he says the contrary (service with the dealer)

Did you service yours with Gargash?
                Current
                E92 M3 - Mineral White
                F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                E36 318is
                E39 540i ///M sport
                VW CC
                E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I used both Gargash and Silber Arrows. But that is besides the point.

The things that break down on an AMG are less than the things that break down on an ///M. The AMGs comparatively are simpler cars.
                  sigpic

Comment

good info....i always thought they are similar is build complexity. must say some of the BMW parts are short lived and especially due to the Middle Eastern summers!

Did you find wear and tear issues of rubber/plastic parts happening frequently in your AMG?
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

That's true. In my opinion AMG have always been a step behind ///M in introducing technologies.

In addition, AMG engines and trannys are simpler. AMG have big displacement long stroke, low revving engines. ///M has small displacement, short stroke, high revving engines. AMG engines are never rev happy. With an ///M engine you can sit at 7000 RPMs and the engine does not feel very stressed.

The same goes for transmissions. AMG had good old autos when ///M had SMG. The early AMG dual clutch trannys were slow and laggy. Don't think AMG have any synchro rev matching manuals.

So yeah, the AMGs have fewer problems, but the ///M cars offer better performance and driver engagement.
                      sigpic

Comment

Let me answer this question... if you are getting a warranty and a service contract with the car you should be fine if you end up dealing with AGMC or ADM.

I have dealt with Gargash many times, as we've owned Mercs in the family. i don't like their packages and prices that's for sure

Comment

Working...
                        X