Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil

Hey guys,

Pretty new to the fast car scene so I'm still trying to find my way. Since about a week I have an E90 M3 and I'm interested to buy some oil just in case the car asks for some. I have read about Castrol Edge Professional TWS 10w60 which has been discontinued quite a while ago... There has been a replacement (Castrol Edge Sport 10w60), but some people said not to use it...

So, my question is: which oil should I use and where can I buy it?

I have heard of Liqui Moly. Is that good stuff?

Thanks
    BMW E90 M3 | Akrapovic Evolution Titanium exhaust | Dinan Air Intake | Dinan Underdrive pulley | Dinan DKG Software

Look, the Oil debate is just an endless thing to go on and on about.

I've read a lot on this and surfed the international forums and all I came up with is this. Some oils have better characteristics than Castrol, BUT Castrol does provide the optimum contact relativity between metals. In other words, the liquid itself was designed to stay contact and glued to your piston chamber at all cases. Other oils are not very compatible even though they might have better numbers in terms of viscosity and other crap, but in early mornings when you start the car the top of your chambers would have no oil leading to metal to metal rubbing. This would shorten the life of you car, engine, bearings, S65...etc

The only thing you need to care about is this:
    - Maintain a regular oil change every 5k, regardless to what you've heard, or been told.
    - Use Castrol Oil as it is the best you can find at the moment.
    - Consider getting an oil cooler which I am considering now since S65 engines have untrustworthy bearings and needs extra precaution.
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Thanks for your reply and info Rafik. Which oil do you buy? Where do you buy it? And where do you get it changed or do you do it yourself?

Also, regarding the oil cooler. Do you actually need one? I've been driving pretty fast today for about 30 minutes and the oil temperature had been steady at 100C all the time. Is it something you'd still recommend? Thanks
      BMW E90 M3 | Akrapovic Evolution Titanium exhaust | Dinan Air Intake | Dinan Underdrive pulley | Dinan DKG Software

Comment

Any BMW spare parts shop should have TWS. I believe [MENTION=395]shak[/MENTION] he can provide it for you even replace the oil at his place.

Driving the car hard for sometime while at speed isn't really risky since the car is breathing well. Tracking your car would really affect it since you'll be doing speeds between 80-220 kph at short amount of time with lots of resistance. Here's the problem and that's when you'd see that needle pop up high.

I'm still researching about this issue, meanwhile sticking to TWS and driving moderately during daytime is a must. I even have a second car not to worry about this. I keep the baby parked underground and take it once a week at night during weekends.

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
        eMail:
        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Thanks Rafik. I'll get in contact with Shak

Comment

Sure anytime :D

Need Assistance?
            eMail:
            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Get any oil except for liqui molly. I used it once and am never going to put it in my car again.

The engine block tends to hold oil because it is made of alusil. It does not matter which oil you use. Its a property of the metal not the oil.

+ 1 on changing the oil every 5000 kms.

@ Rafik: How will the oil cooler help with the bearing issue.
              sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                Get any oil except for liqui molly. I used it once and am never going to put it in my car again.

The engine block tends to hold oil because it is made of alusil. It does not matter which oil you use. Its a property of the metal not the oil.

+ 1 on changing the oil every 5000 kms.

@ Rafik: How will the oil cooler help with the bearing issue.
                It would help indirectly, as the Aftermarket Oil Cooler would maintain a steady 100C which optimizes the oil's flow through the bearings.

Need Assistance?
                eMail:
                Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Working...
                X