Advice on buying a used BMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on buying a used BMW

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and unfortunately I'm not yet a BMW owner, but I'm working on it!

I wanted to get some real world insight on the issues faced when buying a used BMW. my budget is around 100,000 (maybe stretch to 115 for the right ride) and I'm looking primarily for 3 or 5 series with less than 50k (max 60k) on it. But pretty much EVERYONE has told me I will pay a fortune for maintenance!

I plan to buy the car on a 3 year loan and I do about 20-25,000 KM a year - so let's say by the time I'm done paying off the loan it has around 130,000 KM on it. Between the time I buy it and the time I'm ready to sell, what kind of issues should I expect? Where are the best garages?

Sorry I'm a complete noob and new to the country (bought myself a 2014 dodge charger from the showroom and It got old real fast!), I love the BMW driving experience to bits but if I end up having to pay an arm and a leg for maintenance and deal with breakdowns and such, I will regret this decision I'm sure... Please advise if someone with my limited tolerance for garage visits should be a deterrent from buying a beemer!

Thanks!

What BMW are you planning to buy and what sort of worries do you have in mind?
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by Rifo View Post
      What BMW are you planning to buy and what sort of worries do you have in mind?
      I'm looking at a 2011-2012 5 Series (523, 528) or a 2012-2013 3 series with the new shape and 4 doors. I also would be interested to look at a 2009-2011 3 series coupe if I find it at the right price in the right condition.

I'm finding some great cars within my price range (max 120k) but the KM are slightly high at 70,000...

I'm so eager to take the plunge here but honestly if I'm gonna spend my time and money in the workshop I know I will regret the decision, I do love BMW's for that driving experience but practicality plays a huge role for me when buying a vehicle!

Let me know what you guys think!

Comment

well if you get a 2012 model with low mileage that means you'll also get the warranty valid until 2017 plus the Service Package, so it means that if the car has now 50k km for the next 2 years you're completely covered, do an extension of the service package for the 3rd year and voila, no headaches at all :) . I have seen F30 320i starting at around 115k with low miles, so i'd say the pond is full of fish, just got to find what you like.

Maintenance wise, i don't find it that expensive outside BMW dealership, and mine is an 8 year old 7 series, there is some really good shops out there with a strong reputation that will charge you way less than AGMC in case of a major issue with your car, which is less probable given the age and mileage of the car you want to buy.
        '09 RS6 V10 BiTurbo - current
        '08 BMW 540i Mpack - sold
        '04 Audi RS6 - sold
        '01 Audi A8 D2 4.2 - sold
        '06 BMW 750Li - sold
        '05 BMW X5 4.8is Blue Le Mans - sold
        '12 Golf GTi DSG Superchips stage 1 - sold
        '11 Passat 1.8T DSG - sold
        '01 540i M-pack - sold
        '08 Cayenne Turbo - sold
        '09 Porsche Cayenne - sold
        '04 Audi RS6 ABT - sold
        '04 VW Phaeton - sold
        SLK 230K - sold
        E46 330i -sold
        E46 330i M-Pack - sold
        Jaguar X-type - sold

Comment

OK thanks for the advice.

I have one last but very important question for you guys.

I've found some absolutely fabulous 3 series coupes (2008-2010) models. One in particular had only 37k on it!!! I want that car and I'm ready to buy however I found out that they stopped making the 3 series coupe completely (and rather stupidly) since the introduction of the 2 and 4 series.

Will I end up paying a ton for parts on this vehicle if I buy it!? It is a 330 coupe 2008 with less than 40k on it. But Since it is no longer made will parts be an issue?

If one of you guys give me the go ahead I'll post pics by next week!:thumbsup2:

Comment

you should be worrying about parts for that car after 2022, as last year for coupe was i think 2012 :), the general rule is that the manufacturer is obliged to produce spare parts of a vehicle for another at least 10 years after the last vehicle has left the assembly line. So go ahead and buy it if you like it and stop having these crazy worries :) .
            '09 RS6 V10 BiTurbo - current
            '08 BMW 540i Mpack - sold
            '04 Audi RS6 - sold
            '01 Audi A8 D2 4.2 - sold
            '06 BMW 750Li - sold
            '05 BMW X5 4.8is Blue Le Mans - sold
            '12 Golf GTi DSG Superchips stage 1 - sold
            '11 Passat 1.8T DSG - sold
            '01 540i M-pack - sold
            '08 Cayenne Turbo - sold
            '09 Porsche Cayenne - sold
            '04 Audi RS6 ABT - sold
            '04 VW Phaeton - sold
            SLK 230K - sold
            E46 330i -sold
            E46 330i M-Pack - sold
            Jaguar X-type - sold

Comment

The 3 series coupe has undergone a name change to 4 series :) dont worry about the parts, they are easily available :)
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
              X