Your advice please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your advice please!

Hey guys, your advice please. As i have said before, i'm a bit of a novice so i'm going to ask some pretty simple questions. Still, better to ask you guys than get charged a fortune for AGMC to tell me the same thing!

Anyway, i work on a construction site at Global Village. Now, as you will appreciate, working on a dusty construction site in the middle of the sandy desert is not a great combination, and after only a few days of driving the M3 to work i'm getting worried about what damage the dust and sand are doing, or might do in the long term. Specifically, there are two main concerns. Firstly, when the wind blows a bit, i have to drive miles of roads with that thin layer of sand that floats across the tarmac - you know what i mean, right? That must be getting on my disks and calipers? Secondly, the air out near Global Village is always thick with dust and fine sand, which i can only assume is getting sucked into my systems but i'm concerned that the sheer amount of rubbish going in there will start to causes problems.

I know that living in this part of the work we all have these problems but given my work location i'm just overly concerned.

So my question is this. What can i do to ease the two concerns i have listed above, and is there anything else that could potentially become a problem, and what can i do about it?

Right, that's enough from me i think :blah: Thanks!

PS - as far as i know, all my existing parts (filters etc) are stock.

PPS - avoiding the roads i currently use would mean a 30km detour, which is not an option!
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

you need a daily driver :)

i had the same problem & i never drove my M to work.. but for me it's more of a site office at Motor City so there was no way to take my M or park it there

i can't go into the technical issues that might come up from "sucking" dust, but watch our for paint chips!

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

You need a second car, this way taking your M to the desert i think you're torturing it. So get a cheap car to drive you to work and keep the M as your Garage queen or the weekend car.

Comment

^ +1 on a second DD.

As for your first concern, it's valid and after a couple of months you'll see the paint turning dull and chipped on the fascia (bumper, nose, mirrors, tip of the hood). I STRONGLY recommend you take the car to Proshine for their paint protection formula and let them worry about it for the coming 3 years (their warranty). Check the detailing thread for the discount. I wish I had such an offer when I used to drive my E36 convertible daily to Abu Dhabi :(

As for mechanical problems, that's why you've got a wall-thick air filter in there. Make sure you take it out and buff it with presurrized air every car wash. The second treatment is to take a looksee under the skirt every other wash and give it a good clean (AED10-15 more than the normal wash). That done, you'll be only having a dirty engine bay which I strongly recommend you DO NOT wash! Buff it with air at the car wash and clean it with a rug at your free time wherever you can reach. Otherwise, you can also take it to Proshine for an engine detailing session (not oil-based ;)) every other month!

Hope this helps...

Comment

WoW Ayham :clap: those were some really useful tips
          Eldest boy, you got your solution from the horse's mouth, ive got nothing to add :)

Comment

Learned these lesson the hard, costly way!! :(

One thing to add, don't go with aftermarket "CAI" (Cold Air Intakes), you'll damage your MAF sensor in a couple of hours.

Comment

Working...
            X