Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[H] My E46 Slower than other E46s

Hello ,

I`ve been noticing that that my M3 is running a little bit slower than other E46 M3`s ive driven ..

It was also noticed when Ayham drove it as well but were not sure what the problem could be , Its like the car is sleepy (it needs to wake the F*** up :D)

Ive done All recent jobs that was required on the car :

A Small Brief :

Diff Input output seals replaced + Diff Oil
    Stabiliser bar link
    Oil Filter
    Castrol Edge Engine Oil
    Steering Pipe
    Steering Hose
    Cam Cover Gasket

I dont think any of this could affect the HP of the Car

+ Ayham Noticed that Fan Clutch Is on its way out and i just got it replaced as well ....(could that have been an issue ???)))
    Was also noticed that the car is running quite Rich

I thought id share this with everyone to try and eliminate or find out why the car is not running as responsive as it should be ....

Waiting for Feedback from the team

E46, M3 06 Titan Silber Grey- Current
    • Brushed Aluminum Pedal shifters , 55C BMW Motorsport Thermostat
    E46 M3 05 Alpine White - SOLD

More info required, miles, year, any modifications to the exhaust, any codes?

Comment

Not sure if you have all the symptoms in this post....i hope not, but might be worth checking...my E39 was the same, replaced the vanos.....http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=854594
      sigpic

2014 - M6 Gran Coupe

Comment

Hi Bruno ,

M3 2005 Model
        Mileage is 122000KM
        No Modifications ever done on the car ( If you remember Anup from here youll know which car im talking about )
        No Fault Codes as well ( As Per Munich Motor Works)

the only way i could check is Dyno the car at Sam Perf or somewhere else + Check if the car is Euro or GCC Specs ( Apparently Euro spec have better headers)

My only guess might be the exhaust system is completely Clogged up from previous owners using Special instead of Super 98 fuel ..

Regarding Faults : MMW would have told me if any faults from any Engine Misfiring was occurring....
        Last edited by ghaith; 17-06-2013, 11:35 AM. Reason: Adding Info

Comment

euro has the same headers as the GCC version...

i say just dyno the car first and take it from there.

Mark i can feel the pain the vanos units cost you. ouch

Comment

What makes you think your car is slower than other E46 M3s? I only ask because I've found the old butt dyno can be pretty subjective. For instance, it will nearly always give you a higher reading when:

1. you are in the passenger seat
            2. you are driving a car for the first time (then you get used to it)

Also, if you are comparing to other M3s you may have driven a few months ago, my butt dyno tells me that the S54 does tend to lose some power during the heat of summer here in Dubai.
            Last edited by TRSpitfire; 17-06-2013, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Bruno...all done now though, seems to be running well too....i can safely say i have spent more than the cars worth in the last 14 months :) but i like to call that enthusiast costs :) lol....
              sigpic

2014 - M6 Gran Coupe

Comment

Running rich, can be many many things. For your age of car, check all vacuum hoses, these engines are very sensitive to any extra air in the intake system and the DME will richen the mix. Also check your O2 sensors, this can be done with GT1, you should get voltage readings fluctuating between 0.1V to 0.8V . Failed 02 sensors are not sending correct data to the DME and thus richen the mix.
                The next would be the vanos, seals on the vanos from BMW are known to fail slowly, and give the lack of power when cams advance/retard, you could be lucky with just solenoid seals, which is only AED150.00 in parts from the UK, or it could get more expensive if solenoids are failing, or seals deep inside the vanos.

Mark did you not try to repair the vanos?, what had failed, seals or solenoids?
                '94 Avus Blue e36 m3
                2007 LWB Prado. 2" IVD lift.GPS 276C.Bashplate.Rear Pintle Hook

Comment

Vanhack,

it was one bank and oil had got in the seal and fused the solenoids, tried just to get a card with solenoids but are as rare as hens teeth.....decided to order in a used set from the UK as that was the only place i could get them, car they came from had 70k miles on it....will now look for the right bank solenoids in working order, have the seals redone and put them up for sale myself :) .....try and get a little bit of cash back...
                  sigpic

2014 - M6 Gran Coupe

Comment

Also have a Compression and leak down test done.
                    EURO 04 M3
                    Current Mods:GC DA's, Eibach Sways, PF RTABs, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II + Alpine KCA-420i, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo Corners, M5 SMG Knob, Screen protector for OEM 16:9 display, VCSL: Bumper + Race Lip, CF Trunk, CF Diffuser, DIETZ TV in Motion, AP Headers, RT Cats, SS Res X-pipe, SS Race, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, GM SMG Paddles, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Intake, EVOLVE Alpha-N Tune, BBS CH's, FX-R Projectors + 3k D2S, ST40's, DINAN Rear Strut Brace

Comment

Mark, I am not sure on the e39, but the e36 ABS solenoids are the same as the vanos solenoids....ABS solenoids need a little soldering to mount the circuit boards only.

Seen a DIY on E39 vanos solenoids somewhere as well....apparently the circuit board on the E39 solenoids is weak. have a look here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT7rNgixoNo
                      '94 Avus Blue e36 m3
                      2007 LWB Prado. 2" IVD lift.GPS 276C.Bashplate.Rear Pintle Hook

Comment

how is the car when you are above 3000 rpm? Is it still sleepy? I would do a Vanos test, your problem sounds like a not correct working Vanos.
                        E36 M3 3.2 L Conv.

Comment

Originally posted by Callahan View Post
                          how is the car when you are above 3000 rpm? Is it still sleepy? I would do a Vanos test, your problem sounds like a not correct working Vanos.
                          Problems Solved and picked up by DAS

1.Thermostat does not engage fully -> Replaced with 55C BMW Motorsport
                          2.Coolant full of Air ---> Bled
                          3.Radiator is completely Clogged and Dirty --> Drained and Cleaned yet would be better after a replacement

Car runs Much better now..

Vanos Seals+Valve Shims are going to be replaced soon as i kinda screwed the car when trying to floor it to 270

Comment

Working...
                          X