X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Ride and some advice please

Hey Guys,
    thanks for the welcome.

My baby is an E39 M5, 1999 model, in Night Blue, think its an individual color. Looks like it was imported from Monaco in 2007, it has 170k on the clock.

she is definitely a fixer, the interior is well worn in, but comfortable as you expect, feels like wearing your favorite shoes when you sit inside.

Mods, she doesn't have any except maybe an ACS exhaust of those could just be the mufflers, not had chance to get under her yet to verify.

Issues:

Radio, keeps cutting out, but thinking dynavin swap out, need a new amp as mine is DSP and dynavin needs a different one.
    Door actuator problem, Bruno gave me a link but i am not sure i am wanting to do this myself just now as the requirement is to go in through the airbag, explosives
    wheels, they are peeling, undecided on course of action yet.
    Coil-overs and bushes later this year.
    Thinking UUC shorts shift kit -
    Have a steering vibration between 80 - 120, could just need balancing.
    Have some "whining/low" when driving, maybe gearbox, but feels ok, usual play in the long throw, or prop shaft maybe.
    Missing guard on top of drivers door window, so a little wind noise coming from that.
    Brake discs will be changed all round as there is a slight judder on breaking.

sounds a lot, but she drives okay and handles pretty well, she will be a long term project as the missus is putting a firm foot down with the flat of her hand well she did let me swap her SL500 for it lol.....

Any comments, thoughts etc would be appreciated and DAS will be getting a visit for a full scan so i can start getting parts in then maybe have her done in one go

any thoughts on the best colour, i was thinking of maybe foiling/painting her at some point.

Cheers
    Mark
    sigpic

2014 - M6 Gran Coupe

dont go with the dynavin it's garbage... in our hot weather and when sun is reflecting on it you wont see the screen at all.

the radio thing is fixable.

was your car in al ain at some point?

if you like let me go for a spin i'll tell you what it needs. been through and done almost everything to mine.

Comment

Bruno,
      that's a shame on the dynavin, looked a good replacement, i am guessing a 2003 head unit with navigation would possibly fit in.

Ok, want to arrange a drive sometime next week? moving house today/tomorrow then have a guest in town, so if the offer is okay for next week would appreciate the feedback, one thing i noticed last night, as i had not been paying to much attention to it at first, noticed the front tyres are different makes, so that might be the steering wobble cause, will look into changing them :)

Cheers
      sigpic

2014 - M6 Gran Coupe

Comment

anytime when we are both free. take your time, been busy myself :S

Comment

i have the same issue with the radio..still troubleshooting..its probably the amplifier and the head unit..headunit should not be difficult to source, but the apmlifier is a challange..if its pre 2001/2002, you could find them, 2002 and above are very rare, the pins are different..if you fix yours, please keep us posted as to what the issue might be..i believe there is a short someehre, since the radio cuts off only when driving, if stationary ,nothing happens, i ve kept the car for 4 hours and it didnt switch off , the minute i drove off ,it cut off...i ve also noticed that the unit seems to switch off on bumps, i have a PSS9 suspention and it contributes to the car vibration..

it doesnt always switch off, recently i just lose the volume and the screen and everything seems to be fine..if i switch the car off and then on, the unit re works just fine..it sure is annoying though when driving on the highway and then suddenly silence! :( ..in some cases i just ignore it..and it goes back on!
          sigpic
          2002 1975 white
          E9 3.0 1975 green
          E12 528 1980 white
          E21 315 1982 red first owner
          E21 320 1979 yellow
          E23 745i 1982 red
          E23 733i 1979 white
          E24 635csi 1989 blue
          E34 M5 3.8 1993 red
          E36 M3 Cabrio 1995 dakkar yellow
          E46 M3 Cabrio 2003 silver