Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help please - what exhaust is best for an M6 convertible?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help please - what exhaust is best for an M6 convertible?!

Hi fellow members.

I will sell my beloved RS4 on Sunday, and pick up one of the '07 M6 Convertibles currently on sale in Dubai (TBD!).

As mentioned in a previous post, I will be putting an aftermarket exhaust on the car.
    I've spoken with SimonX and Ayham today, and naturally opinions differ here.

I've driven an M6C with a Supersprint. Nice resonance and slightly meaner sound at idle, but it soon becomes almost the same as stock.

What I really want is a Supersprint volume + say another 30-40% max.

I used to have an M6 with a FOX oval pipes, it was quite bassy and not particularly F1 (although it sure screamed over 5k RPM), but I did love it. I found that because it wasnt continuously screaming at me, it was liveable at the same time.

As I'm moving to a convertible, I would welcome your thoughts here. Actually, I would REALLY appreciate your input as I find myself a bit stuck!

Need something that isnt actually THAT loud (as being a convertible the usual 'suspects' i.e. Eisenmann etc are likely to just be too much to bear on a longer drive!)

One kind member has suggested either

- Manhart Racing Exhaust
    or
    - Manhart Racing FULL Exhaust system with 200 cells sport-catalysts
    or
    - Manhart Racing FULL Exhaust system with cat replacement pipes

Another has suggested perhaps an RPI exhaust for sale locally (that actually belongs to an M5 currently - will this even fit an M6???) may be a good option. After listening to M6 RPI clips on YouTube it sounds great, but am wondering perhaps a 'little' too loud/aggressive for a convertible.....

Some of previous threads say the Active Autowerke is more toned down?

I guess I want an imposing sound and ideally a little BHP gain here, one that really puts a smile on the face. But one that also can behave (whilst still being a little louder/meatier than stock) when you want it too at lower revs.

I'll stop waffling now. Just don't want to be one of those people who has to go through 3,4,5+ exhausts before they're happy...

Any and all input really appreciated here.

To those who help - hope to meet you locally in Dubai thereafter for an intro and perhaps even some drinks.

There - even resorted to bribary:)
    Last edited by rmatheson; 14-01-2012, 09:53 AM.

hey man, congrats to your M6 :neener: the most beautiful sound you can get out of the E63 is either Eisenmann or RPI. Id rather go for Rpi to be honest, because its sound is just beautiful and its gonna cost you less, and it would be the better option since you dont want it TOOO loud :P
    if you want something like F1 sound, i suggest you the 'meisterschaft gt2' exhaust for the m6, NOT sure though if you can get it in the Uae, a friend of mine has it in germany and OH MY GOD it sounds like angels are calling you from heaven :P np to fit the m5 exhaust on your car...
    gd luck, post pictures and videos as soon as you have the car and the job done !
    ''Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.''

''Fear is exciting for me.''

Ayrton Senna

Comment

I agree with nima, my eisennman race is loud at low revs, but so far no issues on long drive , infact its very comfortable, but then again mines not a convertible! Rpi sounds like a good deal and its like an eisennman race at higher revs.
      sigpic
      Current
      E92 M3 2011
      # White Angel Eyes # Carbon fibre Roof # Silverstone II Metallic with Full extended Red Interior
      # H&R sport springs #19' APEX ACR-8 rims with P-zero tyres # Bimmertech Tv system
      # Full IPE F1 Exhaust system all sections , with GINTANI burble tune

Previous
      E36 M3 Evo Convertible 'me Jane'
      # Manual 5 speed with Auto LSD 3.38 with Individual Magma Interior # BBS LMs 18 Rims with Chrome Lip
      # UUC shortshifter & UUC aluminium Flywheel and E39 M5 clutch Kit # Long Beach Blue Metallic

E60 M5 'me Julie'
      # Eisennmann Race Exhaust # Updated Rear Lights

Comment

thanks very much to you both for your good input here.

As the car will be my daily driver I just need the exhaust to be bearable. I test-drove an M3 recently (white one on Dubizzle at 180k - great deal by the way for anyone looking for one) with a Meistershaft titanium mufflers, and my god that sounded good. But, even as a coupe just tooo loud and shrill if you're using it daily I think.

All personal preference I guess, no right answer here!

Ayham has a buddy who is looking to replace the RPI Catback from his M5, so I'll be checking that out today/tomorrow.

Will keep all posted.

(off topic, but wife is so bored with my car search she won't input any opinion anymore!) -

what would you see as better bet (for potential resale in say 1 year, knowing how people in Dubai see 'high mileage' as anything over say 70,000KM):

1. '07 M6C, WHITE with black leather, full CF interior, german spec but maintained by Ayham who says it's in great knick - 64,000KM. 170k

2. '07 M6C, BLACK with red leather, full CF interior, GCC spec and will AGMC (not necessarily a good thing IMO!), 73,000KM. 170K.

Dilemma is basically red vs black leather in a convertible in this climate.
        Prefer to go with the lower mileage car, but black leather is putting me off...
        So is 9,000KM of mileage worth sacrificing (at the same price) for a better colour interior?
        Nice decision to have I know!

thanks again to all

Comment

RPI ftw

here is a little video we did the other day , sounds lovely

RPI muffler ( section 3 only )
          [youtube]IXGxKrYHi4M[/youtube]

Comment

here is another Video from youtube

[youtube]vS1pI7XfrbA[/youtube]

Comment

thanks Ehssan

Cannot see/open or access your vids though!?

Comment

if the meisterschaft gt2 on the m3 was too loud, he must have removed the cats. [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0iGxoMI4mI[/YOUTUBE]

and to your both options. OF COURSE red leather interior on a black car. buyers would always go for red leather and in my opinion its the better looking option
                gd luck
                (if u can't view the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0iGxoMI4mI )
                ''Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.''

''Fear is exciting for me.''

Ayrton Senna

Comment

thanks again to all who offered their advice here. As promised, here's my write-up: NB video uploads FAILED after many tries. Moderator - is there a problem here - I'm trying to upload 2 vids (.3GP, taken with Blackberry)? Email me on rmatheson@aconex.com if you you'd like me to send them on.

Choosing an aftermarket exhaust isn’t easy - as I’m sure any of you (that have one) will agree.
                  With so many to choose from in the market, it’s a tough choice – especially as you’re unlikely to actually hear many of them in person before you buy...
                  Probably why car enthusiasts and modders tend to go through so many until they’re finally happy..!

However after countless hours on YouTube, forums and websites, I decided to go down the RPI route (based out of California).
                  RPI attract nothing by praise (especially on the M5Board site) for their sound and (as a real bonus) for the real HP gains their kits provide.

I could have spoken to Fox locally in Dubai - but I hear they like to overcharge so stayed away on principle. I actually inherited a set of Fox quad ovals on my previous M6 Coupe and really liked it. Perhaps it was because this was my first experience of a louder, non-stock exhaust.

But in comparison to what I have just bought, the difference in sound and quality is like night and day - literally.

As a sports car lover (I’m by no means ‘rich’ but love my cars and have owned M3s, and M6, a 5.0 XKR convertible and most recently a lovely RS4) I’ve come full-circle back to the amazing S85 V10 of the M6. In my eyes/ears the best engine ever produced (short of Lambo/Ferrari territory – out of my league sadly).

So I recently bought my second M6 - this time a convertible. Whilst ‘verts are considered (also by myself) as slightly ‘cheating’ when it comes to true sports cars and performance/handling, I’m not a tracker. I bought it because I was desperate to hear the V10 sing its sonorous symphony in “super surround sound” i.e. no roof with a great exhaust – but was also conscious that anything ‘too’ loud would become a headache. I spend most of the year (7-8 months) with the roof down.

So I decided to opt for the RPI ‘GTS’ exhaust (not the more popular and slightly louder ‘GT’ model). Only difference is that the GTS adds a resonator to the front pipes/Section 1.
                  The trouble was that the GTS had never been made for the M6 before – only the M5. So I had my section 1 custom made by Eloy at RPI.

I dealt with RPI's distributor in Jeddah - Ahmed (nice guy and very helpful/enthusiastic) and also got a chance to see his M5 with the same exhaust.
                  I also had a few chats and various emails with Eloy Way, president of RPI (and seemingly a pretty revered figure in the BMW aftermarket performance kit field).
                  Overall my buying experience was good and the price fantastic – equivalent to around AED 15,000 for a complete custom made RPI exhaust (1-3), the ram air kit, BMC filters and block off plates.

My exhaust arrived in Dubai for me to find that it didn’t fit well onto my convertible model (due to a bracket being in the way).
                  However, Shak and his team at X Service centre came good again – as they’ve always done for me over the past 5 years. Thanks Shak. Wouldn’t take my BMW business to anyone else
                  After around 6 hours of customizing the bracket, I had my new exhaust fitted – the first M6 convertible RPI GTS in the world!

The verdict?
                  The sound is nothing short of amazing. The clarity of the note is so pure all the way up the rev range. Makes lovely burble sounds when you lift off. Screams like an Eisenmann at the top end.
                  1-3,000 RPM is quite bassy (I do like that, but now find myself starting off from standstill/speedbumps in 1st, whereas always used to settle for 2nd gear), but as you rise up from 3,500 RPM (to 4,500 where the real 'sweet spot' is) the pitch and clarity of the note simply makes you either grin or break out in hysterical appreciative laughter. And don’t even get me started on tunnelsJ
                  It’s a true musical instrument and a nice real assault on your ears and senses.

Is it loud? Yes? Too loud – no. My neighbours may disagree. Who cares. Life life and deal with adversity if/when it comes.
                  I'm likely to get the Evolve tune next (Hassan seems to have a perfect set up) which offers a cat-heat (or cold start) delete option, so that could help. Mind you, even the stock exhaust was pretty loud on cold start...

Combined with the ram air kit the car also feels a bit quicker – 400 BHP /non-M mode now pretty much feels like M mode used to.

Conclusion? I made the right choice and am delighted. The car is a totally new animal and I’ve already made every excuse possible to the wife for the need to ‘pop to the shops as I forgot the milk’ etc. I’m like a little kid when I got my first go-kart for Christmas.

If anyone is considering a new exhaust feel free to get in touch. Hopefully my months of research may be of some benefit to you.
                  Thanks RPI and X Service Centre. Also massive thanks to the forum members everywhere, expecially Simon X, Hasan S and those on this page. Your imput has been invaluable guys.
                  I'm one happy driver now:)
                  Last edited by rmatheson; 14-01-2012, 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling error

Comment

Working...
                  X