Front Differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Differential

So I got this 05 E53 from a dealership in Ajman 4 days ago...

yesterday, after I got my brakes replaced .. the X suddenly stopped like I did a hard brake !... good thing I was just 100m away from Nadir's ..

Upon check up, they found my front differential was locked-up/damaged !!

what do you think could be the reason? aside from the age...

They were saying I did misuse the X !! What could I have possibly done?

it took you less than 1 hour after you introduced yourself , to threw the first problem with a question :lol: , just joking dude

just remember , you are driving the most trouble maker BMW car ever made ...

and I think your garage should answer your question ..

Comment

no one is to be blamed here. these things fail.

whoever, if it was whining before and suddenly locked then my guess is that there wasn't any oil in it.

Comment

Low/No oil causes a differential to seize up like that. But, it either blew a seal all of a sudden and lost all it's oil (Almost unheard of to happen) OR it had low oil and possibly a leaking seal/fill-drain plug and lost the fluid over time, but if that were the case you would hear whining/grinding or feel vibration. And it's the front diff, your steering would react very badly.
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Originally posted by dhyrk3 View Post
          So I got this 05 E53 from a dealership in Ajman 4 days ago...

yesterday, after I got my brakes replaced .. the X suddenly stopped like I did a hard brake !... good thing I was just 100m away from Nadir's ..

Upon check up, they found my front differential was locked-up/damaged !!

what do you think could be the reason? aside from the age...

They were saying I did misuse the X !! What could I have possibly done?
          This I copy and paste of my friend.
          possible causes,incorrect wheel sizes,front left drive shaft CV seized,Stepper motor on transfere case failed or front brakes fitted incorrectly causing ABS to lock or brake pad sensor and abs sensors crossed(forced).These will all cause transmission windup ending up in damaging the Front diff!

Comment

wow! thank you all for the responses !
            it's really good to have a community like this!

the mechanic was just saying "it's just the age of the front diff to die" ..
            anyway, good thing now is it will be replaced and working again!..

Thanks again!
            til my next question ! :spank2:
            Cheers!

Comment

If its maintained properly and oil checked periodically, it ll not damage and ll last for long time servicing,
              so what did they do, changed with used one?

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
              E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Originally posted by eoudeh View Post
                If its maintained properly and oil checked periodically, it ll not damage and ll last for long time servicing,
                so what did they do, changed with used one?

i must agree..

well .. a used one will be my cheapest option, for the (long) time being .. :D

Comment

Working...
                X