Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E90 330ci air conditioning evaporator...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E90 330ci air conditioning evaporator...

Hi gents,

My friend is having a problem with his car and has asked my advice. In turn, i am asking you, the UAE's BMW experts!

He owns a 2006 E90 330ci, which he bought privately around 4 months ago. He has been told that his air conditioning evaporator needs replacing, and has been quoted anywhere from 4000aed-7000aed for the job. As he has already had to pay other repair costs, he is looking to get the evaporator done as cheaply as possible. His question to me was whether it is possible for him to order the part from the US, where it is a lot cheaper. Are the specs the same? Will it fit and work? Where else might he be able to souce this part and get it fitted? Are there any breakers yards that might have one? Does it need to be a BMW specific part or can a generic one be bought and fitted?

Finally, he had a pre-purchase inspection carried out at Tony Edwards, which cost 750aed. As his evaporator has now failed, is this the sort of thing that they perhaps should have spotted (i.e. is it wear and tear?), or is it possible that it has broken "all of a sudden"?

As usual guys, your advice is very much appreciated.

Phil
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Originally posted by the eldest boy View Post
    Hi gents,

My friend is having a problem with his car and has asked my advice. In turn, i am asking you, the UAE's BMW experts!

He owns a 2006 E90 330ci, which he bought privately around 4 months ago. He has been told that his air conditioning evaporator needs replacing, and has been quoted anywhere from 4000aed-7000aed for the job. As he has already had to pay other repair costs, he is looking to get the evaporator done as cheaply as possible. His question to me was whether it is possible for him to order the part from the US, where it is a lot cheaper. Are the specs the same? Will it fit and work? Where else might he be able to souce this part and get it fitted? Are there any breakers yards that might have one? Does it need to be a BMW specific part or can a generic one be bought and fitted?

Finally, he had a pre-purchase inspection carried out at Tony Edwards, which cost 750aed. As his evaporator has now failed, is this the sort of thing that they perhaps should have spotted (i.e. is it wear and tear?), or is it possible that it has broken "all of a sudden"?

As usual guys, your advice is very much appreciated.

Phil
    Hi Phil,
    When doing a PPI on any car the AC system should be checked for leaks and the amount of gas in the system at the time of test.
    AC evaporator does not leak over night!
    Ask your mate to collect the AC drain water from underneath the car and see how milky it is?
    It sholud be clear water!
    Also how long does the gas last in the car and what are the symptoms that he is facing?
    Such as cold air only on drivers side and warm on passenger?
    Or does the AC come on after a long delay?
    I would not recommend a used evaporator as its a coslty job to replace interms of labour!
    If its a minor leak it would be worth adding "AC STOP LEAK" sometimes works a treat!

Comment

Hi Shak, and thanks for your reply! My friend is writing a reply to your questions which i will post later.

How much will X charge for the work? He says that he contacted you guys and was quoted something like 8000aed...is that about right?

And, unless i'm very much mistaken, that's a Veyron you're driving in your profile picture? Come into some money mate?!?! What an experience that must have been!
      theeldestboy

Comment

Shak, my friend says:

• They checked the A/C on two occasions (once in early April and also in mid May) and on both occasions they confirmed there are no problems with it. I noticed the problem with the A/C in mid July for the first time.

• I get cold air on driver side and warm air coming out all the other vents. The cold air on driver side is not as cold as it should be.

• The A/C starts almost immediately when switched on and not after a long delay.

• Just tried to reach the mechanic regarding the gas but he was unavailable. But I remember he said yesterday that after he refilled the gas, he could smell the gas around the car.

• the A/C doesn’t pump dry air into the car like it should, it pumps in humid air

Any thoughts?
        theeldestboy

Comment

specs are the same... 64119179802 this is the part number and it fits all 1-series and all E9X models

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....=on&showeur=on

it sells for $550 in online stores (or atleast in one online store that i just checked) but is listed at $391 on realoem.com

for your other questions it tends to fail randomly, and you can source it from a local breaker who will probably sell it for the price of a brand new item or anywhere in that region.

Comment

Originally posted by the eldest boy View Post
            Hi Shak, and thanks for your reply! My friend is writing a reply to your questions which i will post later.

How much will X charge for the work? He says that he contacted you guys and was quoted something like 8000aed...is that about right?

And, unless i'm very much mistaken, that's a Veyron you're driving in your profile picture? Come into some money mate?!?! What an experience that must have been!

Did we check the car? and if so who gave him the quote
            8000 aed is way to much!
            Get your freind to call me direct and I will see what I can do to help him!

Yes its a Veyron,my mates got 2,the other one is in the UK!
            The Veyron is the only car that can cream your pants in 2 seconds!

Comment

Originally posted by shak "X" View Post
              The Veyron is the only car that can cream your pants in 2 seconds!
              Its not the only car Shak. The Koenigsegg Agera would also have a simmilar effect. :lol:

I hope you washed your pants after that ride :rofl2:
              sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Working...
              X