Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 steering issue

Good afternoon all.

Recently I have noticed a "thump-thump" noise when turning right (and only right) - i.e on a highway on-ramp. It's not majorly loud, it's more something that I can "feel" through the steering wheel. Almost like driving over very small cats-eyes.

The only major work done on the car was back in December when the front right knuckle arm was replaced, as the existing one was bent. At the time, there was also a suspicion that the wheel bearing would also need to be replaced, but the knuckle arm replacement fixed the issue I had (severe pulling to the right).

This morning I jacked the car up to see if the tyre was hitting anything in the wheel arch - nothing obvious. I performed the "5 to 11" motion on the wheel to check it was static - it was. The nuts were all tightened. The only thing of note is that the tyres were a little below pressure, so pumped them up. (The air compressor packed up after finishing the last tyre - today is not my day) :hmm:

Anyway, when I started the car later this afternoon I heard a strange "pffffftt" sound - like an air brake being released! When I drove out of my parking space the steering wheel felt like it wouldn't turn - I had no power steering! Had no time to investigate (had to go to work in AD and was late) so reparked the car and took my second vehicle.

There were no warning lights reported.

Did not have the time to check the fluids - but last time I checked (last weekend) all was OK. Won't be back home until midnight..

Now sitting at work wondering

Car is booked in to "X" at 8am tomorrow - will let you know the verdict.

Happy to hear anyone else with similar issues.

Your car is in goo hands with Shak.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Mr Rocketman,
      It sounds like your shock top mount,tortion drop link,bottom ball joint or front control arm bushs are worn!
      Will know the exact cause tomorrow morning when the car is on the ramp or after a small road test?
      And your steering problem looks as if the main shaft in the pump which is driven by the pully has sheared of!
      Thats the case only if your power steering fluid is ok and the belt is has not come of and you have no warning lights on!
      See you in the morning !
      Last edited by Shak; 16-07-2011, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shak "X" View Post
        Mr Rocketman,
        It sounds like your shock top mount,tortion drop link,bottom ball joint or front control arm bushs are worn!
        Will know the exact cause tomorrow morning when the car is on the ramp or after a small road test?
        And your steering problem looks as if the main shaft in the pump which is driven by the pully has sheared of!
        Thats the case only if your power steering fluid is ok and the belt is has not come of and you have no warning lights on!
        See you in the morning !
        Thanks for the reply Shak!

Have been doing a bit of internet research - this issue with the shaft in the power steering pump looks quite common...

Will check fluids before coming in the morning. Looking forward to coming down tomorrow for some advice (although my Bank manager is probably fearing the worst...)

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
          Your car is in goo hands with Shak.
          Don't doubt you there Hasan - Shak has been very helpful to me on my previous visits.

Comment

Well, car has been dropped off at X. Looks like steering pump is Kaput (fluids OK, belt is OK). Shak took it for a little road test (and to work his biceps - lol) and suspects front control arm bushes.

Will know more later - happy it's in good hands.

Comment

Ok guy's my findings?
              1.Power steering pump as suspected!
              2.F/control arm bushes as suspected!

Comment

Working...
              X