X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Equal Profile tyres on 4 corners: E36 M3

Gents,

Your opinions please.

What would the effect on the car and its handling if I was to have the same profile tyres on all 4 corners?

I currently have 225/17/45 profile on the fronts and 245/17/40 on the rears, but what would happen if I made all the tyres 40 profile?

and :thanks2:
    1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
    2012 Camaro SS
    2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
    2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Should not make any noticeable difference.

Your cruise control will not work.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
      Should not make any noticeable difference.

Your cruise control will not work.
      CRUISE CONTROL - WTF is that? hahahahahahahahahaha Not sure Cruise control was invented in 1997

Was more concerned with the stance/set up of the car i.e. handling.
      1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
      2012 Camaro SS
      2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Handling will get no noticeable advantage.
        sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

I dont think it will affect anythign to be honest... the guy I bought my M3 from has the same tire sizes on all 4 rims... never had any issues with anythign, although that was an e46... not sure if tehre will be a difference on an e36
          sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Rake will suck when looking at the car profile...

Comment

lower profile tyres will make the car drop from the front if u kept the same width 225 since you are removing part of the height of the tyre switching from 45 series to 40 series , also the steering response should be sharper with a lower profile tyre since less rubber = less flexibility other than that u need to carry out the practical test :) tbh honest i can't guess what change of handling characteristics could take place
              I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

The extra 5mm in the profile compensate for the engine weight...So when the car is rolling, the front tyres are effectively a 40-profile series.

Comment

the 40 series is 1.125 cm shorter than the 45 series not only 5 mm, so in any case the car will be lowered from the front
                  I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

do you want to have 4 wheels set to 245/17/40 or where you saying that you only wanted to lower the front profile from 45 to 40 keeping the 225 untouched?

i reckon it will look funny if you decide to go with 40 profile upfront and keep the rears set at 40.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                      do you want to have 4 wheels set to 245/17/40 or where you saying that you only wanted to lower the front profile from 45 to 40 keeping the 225 untouched?

i reckon it will look funny if you decide to go with 40 profile upfront and keep the rears set at 40.
                      Maintain the OE width, but have all four corners at 40 profile.

I am concerned how it will affect the stance and the handling.

I agree with Ayham in that it will minimise the "rake" of the car and also lower the front end.

I am soon going to be ordering some 18" rims and with OE springs and bilstein shocks, was somewhat concerned on rubbing issues as well.
                      2012 Camaro SS
                      2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Working...
                      X