Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freakingly weird central locking system problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freakingly weird central locking system problem!

Hi everyone..

Since I bought my E46 around 2 months back I've been facing constant problems, I've even started thinking my Arwen is in love with Ayham as she just can't live without visiting him every now and then..

My latest problem has even amazed Ayham so I'm just sharing in case anyone has ever had a similar problem before (which I bet is quite unlikely)..

My key I guess is out of battery and as I didn't have time to visit Sharjah I can't get it to work and I've to manually lock and unlock my doors. Here goes the details of my never ending adventure on this!

- When I insert my key and unlock all 4 doors unlock.
    - When I lock only the driver door locks.
    - So I get into the car, close my door, press the "lock" button behind the gear knob to lock all doors which works fine.
    - Then I open my door using the handle and get out. When I try to lock my only unlocked door, yes the driver door locks but all other 3 doors unlock.
    - This happens completely in random but it's just so annoying to walk around your car and open each door, push down the lock and close all 3 doors manually in a parking lot as a BMW owner. People are looking at me!! LOL

I know it would most probably be easier to get my battery fixed in Sharjah but I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard of something like this.

BTW, I want to share another experience regarding DAS. I'd also received a spare key from the owner when I bought the car and was told it just doesn't work. I tried and yes, it wasn't locking/unlocking the doors. So I'd left this key to Ayham so he could get the battery fixed sometime when he visited Sharjah and it's been laying on his desk for around a month now just waiting. Yesterday that key magically started working without anything being done!! Telling you something is weird about DAS, no idea what he has going on there but I'm quite happy with it hehe !! Anyway, yeah it locks/unlocks but it doesn't start the engine hahaa.. I've got two keys on my keyring now, one to lock/unlock my doors, second to start my engine!! What a BMW experience! :D

Originally posted by qetadgzcb View Post
    Hi everyone..

Since I bought my E46 around 2 months back I've been facing constant problems, I've even started thinking my Arwen is in love with Ayham as she just can't live without visiting him every now and then..

My latest problem has even amazed Ayham so I'm just sharing in case anyone has ever had a similar problem before (which I bet is quite unlikely)..

My key I guess is out of battery and as I didn't have time to visit Sharjah I can't get it to work and I've to manually lock and unlock my doors. Here goes the details of my never ending adventure on this!

- When I insert my key and unlock all 4 doors unlock.
    - When I lock only the driver door locks.
    - So I get into the car, close my door, press the "lock" button behind the gear knob to lock all doors which works fine.
    - Then I open my door using the handle and get out. When I try to lock my only unlocked door, yes the driver door locks but all other 3 doors unlock.
    - This happens completely in random but it's just so annoying to walk around your car and open each door, push down the lock and close all 3 doors manually in a parking lot as a BMW owner. People are looking at me!! LOL

I know it would most probably be easier to get my battery fixed in Sharjah but I'm just curious if anyone has ever heard of something like this.

BTW, I want to share another experience regarding DAS. I'd also received a spare key from the owner when I bought the car and was told it just doesn't work. I tried and yes, it wasn't locking/unlocking the doors. So I'd left this key to Ayham so he could get the battery fixed sometime when he visited Sharjah and it's been laying on his desk for around a month now just waiting. Yesterday that key magically started working without anything being done!! Telling you something is weird about DAS, no idea what he has going on there but I'm quite happy with it hehe !! Anyway, yeah it locks/unlocks but it doesn't start the engine hahaa.. I've got two keys on my keyring now, one to lock/unlock my doors, second to start my engine!! What a BMW experience! :D
    I think the car is having difficulties recognising the key because of the low battery. This would explain the locking problem.

As for the key that didn't work. It was probably the heat at the workshop that fixed it. Or somebody dropped the key on the floor. Sometimes giving the kay a good banging would bring it to its senses.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
      I think the car is having difficulties recognising the key because of the low battery. This would explain the locking problem.

As for the key that didn't work. It was probably the heat at the workshop that fixed it. Or somebody dropped the key on the floor. Sometimes giving the kay a good banging would bring it to its senses.
      Hmm in this case I've to make a couple of tries with the ex-nonworking key to see how the doors react to manual lock/unlock attempts and see.. Btw, as I mentioned it doesn't start the engine, any idea how much it would cost me to get it programmed to work fine?

Well the key laid around at the office which is pretty cold compared to my standards but I don't know how hot it gets at night.. Though I've no idea if anyone has been playing baseball with it :D

Comment

Hmm in this case I've to make a couple of tries with the ex-nonworking key to see how the doors react to manual lock/unlock attempts and see.. Btw, as I mentioned it doesn't start the engine, any idea how much it would cost me to get it programmed to work fine?

Well the key laid around at the office which is pretty cold compared to my standards but I don't know how hot it gets at night.. Though I've no idea if anyone has been playing baseball with it :D
        I suggest you take it to Shak at X Service.

You can call him at 050 2944 506.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, will see when I find the time hopefully.

I tried the key with working battery for the doors but unfortunately it's still the same.. Only the driver door is locked all others are left unlocked..

Any other ideas ?

Comment

When u lock it down take a closer look on the other lock pins. Do they move or do they in any way try to mechanically move. You can even feel or hear it if u stand next to it and if your hand on the lock itself.

Comment

Indeed! Try using a stethoscope.
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, will see when I find the time hopefully.

I tried the key with working battery for the doors but unfortunately it's still the same.. Only the driver door is locked all others are left unlocked..

Any other ideas ?
                Hey man, which year is the make of the car?

do u have the 3 buttons or the 2 buttons keys? looks like its the 2 buttons since you changed the battery...

sigpic

Jerez Black 2008 E92 M3 - The beast unleashed

History:
                Black 2005 E46 330ci Mtech2
                Silver 2003 E46 330i Mtech2
                Black 2002 E46 320i Mtech2
                Black 1986 E28 535i
                Burgundi 1986 E23 728i
                Blue 1985 E30 323i Mtech
                Hellrot 1981 E21 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
                  Sometimes giving the kay a good banging would bring it to its senses.
                  This also works well on women! hahahahaha

You defo need to get the battery changed in the key and then try it out - process of elimination.
                  1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
                  2012 Camaro SS
                  2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
                  2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Makaveli7; it's the 3 button key, year is 2003 and I haven't yet changed the battery.

yorky500; well the ex-nonworking key is working fine (at least the remote for the doors) so it shouldn't be a battery issue with that one?

Bruno; will check soon and update on this but from what I remember, they don't even twitch :) (except when the key half way locks the driver door and unlock all others)

Comment

Here's something that I recalled from that day...

Your girlfriend has also said this at the office: "My BB works here! Amazing!". So my simple, scientific explanation to the paranormal phenomenon is this;

You are living in a "dark spot" where radio signals are blocked. This is seen where people park near army bases for example, or airports, or wherever there's any source of radio jamming/interference. I've also mentioned this anecdote to our senior Autologic instructor on our last traning session yesterday, they confirmed my doubts as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X