Re-paint or Foil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

repaint.....
    IMHO..if u wana keep it as ur toy, strip it out completely with a proper paint job bumper to bumper, but if u will sell it in future...only painted from outside

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
    E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

IMHO your car only needs a polish. Get the 3 steps maguiars solution from ace and you will be more than happy.

Comment

Go for a full re spray job. Sanded down to the bare metal, metal work and denting, filler where needed, primer, color and clear! It'll freshen the car up again!

Leave the engine bay and interior as is. But, don't do the typical mistake of leaving the windows and seals in and have them taped over when painted. Remove all the glass and seals before hand so the paint reaches the water canals behind them and you wont end up with run ons.

Foil is completely pointless and expensive compared to a real paint job. All it does is cover, no more no less. And plus, it's got to be done to a mint condition car to get the perfect results.

Keep the OE color the car left the factory with. The color code sticker is on the fender, get the color from BMW. It'll cost you more than the usual paint shops. But it is OEM.

Diamond Schwarz I and II are gorgeous colors, but they look horrid if not taken care of.

You're knowledgeable when it comes to car care, so I have no doubt the car will as good as new in the next 10 years after the respray with the correct car care techniques and products.

Good luck and keep us posted!
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Thanks all - I am seriously thinking Estoril Blue! hahahahahaha
          1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
          2012 Camaro SS
          2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
          2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Don't you also have to get a Police notice for permission to change the colour?

Is this an easy process, for anyone who has done it?

Comment

Originally posted by BigLion View Post
              Don't you also have to get a Police notice for permission to change the colour?

Is this an easy process, for anyone who has done it?
              Most of the shops who paint/foil in different colours offer this service. From what I understand, you need to take the vehicle to CID, pay some AED to tell the nice man what it is you are doing and to change it to what colour - he will give you the "OK" slip, you get the car re-coloured and then go and re-register (or something like that) as your Registration Card needs to reflect the colour of the car
              1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
              2012 Camaro SS
              2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                IMHO your car only needs a polish. Get the 3 steps maguiars solution from ace and you will be more than happy.
                :police::police::police::police::police:

Steve, gimme a buzz... you may really just need a perfect detailing job... Would be worth spending a coupple of bucks first and see the result before doing the whole repainting story..

I still stick to white btw...
                sigpic

Simon Motorsport L.L.C
                Dubai Investment Park 2
                The Curve Building Complex
                Warehouse No.1
                P.O Box 28638
                Dubai, United Arab Emirates
                Office: +97148830851
                Web: www.simonmotorsport.com
                Email: Franz@simonmotorsport.com
                Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/simonmotorsportdxb
                Instagram: http://instagram.com/simon_motorsport_dubai#

Comment

No garages will paint any car unless you bring them the paint permit from the authorities..

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                    No garages will paint any car unless you bring them the paint permit from the authorities..
                    Unless you are painting it the original colour, then no need.
                    2012 Camaro SS
                    2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Originally posted by yorky500 View Post
                      Unless you are painting it the original colour, then no need.
                      You still need the permit.. No car gets painted in any garage without the permit..

Comment

Originally posted by SewerSideUp View Post
                        Go for a full re spray job. Sanded down to the bare metal, metal work and denting, filler where needed, primer, color and clear! It'll freshen the car up again!
                        you know a shop that really does that kind of perfection?
                        Meskovic
                        this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
                          you know a shop that really does that kind of perfection?
                          Judging by the shinyness of your head - the Barber! :lol::lol::lol:
                          2012 Camaro SS
                          2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

hahahahahahaha

look who is talking!!

Last edited by Nabil; 19-05-2011, 02:18 PM.
                            Meskovic
                            this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by Nabil View Post
                              hahahahahahaha

look who is talking!!

BUGGAR! hahahahahaha
                              2012 Camaro SS
                              2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Working...
                              X