E36 M3 Evo II - Good, bad, indifferent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 M3 Evo II - Good, bad, indifferent?

So, as I mentioned when I introduced myself, I "hinted" I was going to look at a BMW, well I did.

First hurdle was to seek permission from "the war office / her indoors / handbrake" on the possiblity of getting another car. Agreement was reached after hard and prolonged negotiations, :hug:, but with a limit on budget .

Now I had heard through a member on here that there was a particular BMW that may be up for sale, so after getting the details, I contacted the current owner and agreed to meet.

The car I went to see, as the title says, was the E36 M3 Evo II, a 1997 model (why I keep looking at "old ladies" I have no idea why :cursing:, but I just love old school). They are nostalgic, great to drive, but boy do they break down often.

So, my question is, just how good, bad or indifferent are these cars? How reliable are they (I know it depends on the previous owners driving standards and servicing regime), but generally?

The current owner was a great bloke, knew his stuff, obviously a Petrolhead and looks after his cars whilst enjoying driving them. In fact he is such a top bloke that he has allowed me to have the car for the day on Saturday before I drop it off with Ayham at DAS for him to do the full Condition Report on Sunday.

So, I will report back on Saturday evening with my thoughts, opinions and maybe some pics (if the owner will allow).

So again, what are your thoughts on this piece of motoring history?

ETA: I have spoken to the BMW guru's Ayhem and Bruno about the M3 - so my mind is resting a bit easier.
    Last edited by yorky500; 24-03-2011, 07:30 AM.
    1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
    2012 Camaro SS
    2007 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab: 6" lift,
    2008 Mercedes SLK 350

the evoII is a very reliable car. there was a big thread about this car a while ago. let me see if i can find it.

Comment

These will help :D

http://bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5411

To get you all worked up:

http://bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5430

Comment

It is an awesome car!

You will love it.
        sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Please buy it Yorky! I better get to ride it first though! :D

Comment

Originally posted by Ozimandius View Post
            Please buy it Yorky! I better get to ride it first though! :D
            Not buying anything until I have had her fully checked out by people who, besides being ugly, know all there is to know about BMW's and I am sure in my own mind its what I want.
            1997 E36 M3 Evo: OMP bucket seats, Bilstein shocks & Eibach springs, Eisemann race rear muffler, 18"ASA AR1's, polybushed, short shifter,
            2012 Camaro SS
            2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Ugly will save you one day!

Looking forward to the check up on Sunday (bringing me to work from my first time off in 9 months!!)...You owe me Steve!

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                Ugly will save you one day!

Looking forward to the check up on Sunday (bringing me to work from my first time off in 9 months!!)...You owe me Steve!
                Massive thanks to Ayham and the guys at Das for giving the car a very good and thorough look-over. List was long, but nothing that could be classed as major, but important enough to get it done ASAP.

Really, really enjoyed driving the M3, sadly, the weather was complete "bollocks" on Saturday and it was not pleasant out on the roads.

After "stalling" her a few times :fags: (Ok, so you need to rev the engine more than I have to in the CR8 to pull away) I was quickly into the groove and driving her as I would on any given day. She did not miss a beat for the 200 odd Km's that I drove her for. Engine and oil temps were all normal, a/c was fine blah blah blah

After seeing her in daylight she looks in very good shape for a 14 y/o car (Ayham can testify), so now I have to decide what to do and have a chat with the current owner.

watch this space
                2012 Camaro SS
                2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

That's good to know! I stalled her twice myself, but I thought that's because I was driving a manual for the first time in 5 years, Haha.

Comment

ayham was it strong for a 3.2?

Comment

Very...

The oil separator and separator hoses are all cracked though, so there's more power there once replaced.

Comment

Very Nice!
                        sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                          ayham was it strong for a 3.2?
                          Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                          Very...

The oil separator and separator hoses are all cracked though, so there's more power there once replaced.
                          Bruno,

:taser: hahahahahaha
                          2012 Camaro SS
                          2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

can I drive it now and compare it to the last time i drove it in 2008..

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                              can I drive it now and compare it to the last time i drove it in 2008..
                              Are you asking me if you can hire it? I need all the cash I can get to pay for what needs to be replaced. :laughhard:

Of course you can mate, if I get the car.
                              2012 Camaro SS
                              2008 Mercedes SLK 350

Comment

Working...
                              X