Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW Electrical Quiz! - Post your bid!

Gentlemen,

I told you several time that I’m impressed about how much knowledge is accessible in this forum, but I have a real challenge for you, let see if I’m wrong this time! ;)

Symptoms:
    Suddenly, my E46 M3 start doing the following (randomly):
    • The Screen (radio, cd, etc.) wakeup and shutdown alone (and sometimes blinks)
    • The DSC lights turns on and off (very quickly = blinks)
    • More lights turns on and off (very quickly = blinks)
    • Now the windows and are not going down when I pressed the button to open the top (it’s a convertible)
    • Sometimes the entire electrical system blinks (it means lights, dashboard, etc.)
    • Every time this happens the time and KM counter resets
    • Use to happen at low speed, at high revs never happened (yes, I know, a good argument to keep the M3 revving high! :D)

More contextual information:
    • I ran out of battery 2 months ago and my neighbor help me to charge it and start the car bridging his and my battery with the typical black and red cables
    • The steering well was disconnected 1 month ago to change its leather
    • The Rearview mirror was disconnected 15 days ago

I know that the only way to properly diagnose the problem is to connect it to the computer, but let use this as a quiz:

What do you think could be causing this??

I will reveal the winner after fixing the issue! :D

hehee your km reseted thats good right?
    335i (Dual Clutch Transmission)-BMW Performance Exhaust- JB 4 -Stage 2 aFe Dual Cone Intakes-aFe air scoops-M tech kit-19" M Rims Painted Gunmetal-Michelin PS2
    White Angel Eyes-Carbon Fiber Mirror caps-BMW Performance High Speed Fan (850watts)-BMW Performance Diffuser-BMW Performance Stripes

Comment

Only the tryp counter, not the important ones! ;)

Comment

Battery related

Comment

+1
          change the battery and everythings will be fine

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
          E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

I think the altenator is gone. Which is putting additional load on your battery and pretty soon your battery shall also die.
            sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Pass by to check your alternator...

Comment

The alternator didn't like the black and red cables :lol:
                07 E64 650i Silver

sigpic

Comment

the alternator will kill the car.. it's either a lower voltage battery or simply the battery is just dying (although it's still new)

Comment

:starwars:
                    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Originally posted by shak "X"
                      Hi mate,

Your alternator is over charging,its going over the safe cut of point (15.5 v)
                      The whole system will shut down! (safe mode)
                      You will only have the basic functions of the car just to get you home and not cause any further damage to your vehicles electronics.
                      If the alternator is fine then its a General module problem (GM).
                      Alternator main cable to the engine bulkhead lose connection.

eg.
                      AC,radio,vdu,warning lights and lack of power.This fault would occur when alternator is at its normal working temp and may be intermittent!
                      A gt1/autologic will tell you that all modules have had an over voltage at some point and to how high the voltage was eg 17 V.

There are many reasons that could cause your symptoms!
                      I have just listed a few that I have come across.
                      HOPE THIS HELPS

Comment

So Mr Pablopet what happened to your quiz? or have you not fixed the issue ?

Comment

Ok, and the winners are...... Bruno and eoudeh!!!!

Yes Srs! Was the battery, the alternator is fine!

New battery and my car is not a Christmas tree anymore! :D

Comment

:D cograts bro

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                            E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Originally posted by pablopet View Post
                              Ok, and the winners are...... Bruno and eoudeh!!!!

Yes Srs! Was the battery, the alternator is fine!

New battery and my car is not a Christmas tree anymore! :D
                              Wow! just a battery you are one lucky guy.
                              Anyways well done bro.

Comment

Working...
                              X