E39 M5 Oil in Plenum box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E39 M5 Oil in Plenum box

Original post on M5board.. with answers...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...nelum-box.html

Hello fellow BMW Lovers,

Yesterday while removing the top cover of my engine (as I want to get it painted) I found oil in the box.. This is the Plenelum (if thats how you spell it) box. There are 2 holes with some sort of breathers (ref pics 1124, 1125) on the front of the box and it seems like the oil has spat out from there.

Any ideas why, how, what needs to be done?
    Attached Files
    Current:
    2011 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade "Repsol Edition"..

Past ///M's:
    2002 E39 M5 M/6speed LeMans Blue|Reuters Catback|SS Brake lines|EBC pads|Dinan strut brace|B&G Springs|19" VMR VB3 CSL Style rims|IATS|Lower grill with brake ducts|aFe Stage 2 intakes|Evosport under drive pulleys "audiophile"|ZHP Shifter with Alcantara boot and Alcantara handbrake boot|+++
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe M/6speed Silver
    1991 E34 M5 3.6L M/5speed Red
    1993 E34 M5 3.8L M/5speed Black

As I saw the pics last night, my guess was some oil marks from a recent service job. This level of oil contamination isn't alarming. However, since I couldn't judge properly from the pics only, worst scenario would be damaged internals. BUT, this car is clean and the motor runs perfectly fine and hence such a test would be a waste of brain cells.

According to our PPC, the separators were in good shape a few months back. I'd be looking there first.

Comment

Working...
    X