Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMGII Best Practices!

Another newbie question:

There are some best practices on how to change gears in a SMGII Gearbox?

Let me explain myself: My car is for daily use, I start it every morning and I wait like 5 min before move in order to let the oil get warm. I drive it allwais In manual mode and I change gear using the paddles, I change gears like this:
    2 – at 2000 RPMs
    3 – at 3500 RPMs
    4 and onwards between 4000 and 5000 RPMs

I’m not sure if this is safe or I will break the gearbox soon, where is the “safe” limit? There is any best practice? What happened if change gears at 6, 7, 8K?

And the last question is about the clutch speed, when I brought the car I use it at 3, now I get used to use it at 5, this will bring any problem?
    Thanks,
    Pablo

BMW gearboxes will outlast your car. They are very, very strong. The RPM range and limit would be a matter of the engine internals really, IF anything would have to fail. But since the car is taken care of and serviced regularly, then just enjoy it.

The only thing you can and should do to preserve your clutch, flywheel, and SMG pump is to lift off the throttle when you change gear, just like you do when driving a 3-pedal car. :)

Comment

oh, that's music to my ears!
      And because I'm releasing the pedal when I change gears (thanks to your previous advice! ;)) I will feel confident with the gearbox!

What about the speed or the clutch? any problem using it at 5?

I had notice a diferent noise (a TOC!) is I use it at 5 but not when it's in 3.

And 2 new questions:

Launch Control?

Burnout Mode?
      Last edited by pablopet; 11-02-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

The levels button (5 with DSC ON, 6 with DSC OFF) are called "Gearshift Ferocity", the higher it is, the quicker the the slave cylinder engage-disengage cycle is. At level "1", it simulates a gentle clutch pedal release, almost resulting in a clutch slip if you apply the throttle too much too soon, and vice versa the higher you go up on the levels.

Launch Control: Now you will break the gearbox and burn your clutch. It's a pointless option put for people with "Large hats and no cattle" ;)

Burnout mode? Switch off your DSC and join our training sessions :)

Comment

jajjajaja... I Will, I Will!!! I'm just waiting to know when and where they are! ;)

BTW: I'm just asking this things as general culture! ;) (and for some testing! ;))
          BTW2: Whay I will break the gearbox with Launch Control? It's not an standard feature?

Comment

Too much torque dumped at once on the drivetrain components. BMW used to void the warranty if they found out the car registered 3 launch control attempts.

Comment

+ 1 to all that Mr. President has said.

In addition, I generally shift at around 3000 until the temp is at 50C. At 4000 RPM until the temp reaches 100C.

After that I get the best shofts above 5000 RPM. However, the sweet spot for me is around 6000 RPM.

Having said that, the SMG would adapt to your driving style and would try to make the shifts smoother if you drive consistently enough.

My normal drive is always in S3 or S4.

It is quite normal for the SMG to delay shifts when shifting at low RPMs or if the temp is low.

The ///M cars love to be driven hard. The harder you drive the smoother the SMG works.
              sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

the s54 loves high revs... shifting at 2k rpm will kill it and shifting way up will damage it. try to be fair to her, and treat her well and she will look after you. i used to drive on S3-manual. going up to s5 was useless IMHO unless you are tracking it or really need an extra split of a second to win an imagenary race on SZR :P

Comment

S3 P400 manual all the time, but i never lift off the throttel when im shifting the gear! yesterday i tried it but as Ayham said (lift off the throttle while im shifting) and it was another driving style which i like :) and also more rev. sound coming :drool: but u need to be accurate when u do it.

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                  E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

"TOC" noise is kind of normal when the engine&gearbox still cold . I just drive by lifting off the throttel during the warm up period to avoid the noise and smoothy ride. You also will feel the noise when you set at high drivelogic like S5 and high throttel (i guess) due to the high torgue.

Btw, you do not need to wait 5mins to warm up a BMW car. the engine is designed such a way that u need to start the car and drive straight with moderate speed. It is also mentioned in the car manual.
                    sigpic:evil:

Comment

Originally posted by HeLL-BoY View Post
                      "TOC" noise is kind of normal when the engine&gearbox still cold . I just drive by lifting off the throttel during the warm up period to avoid the noise and smoothy ride. You also will feel the noise when you set at high drivelogic like S5 and high throttel (i guess) due to the high torgue.

Btw, you do not need to wait 5mins to warm up a BMW car. the engine is designed such a way that u need to start the car and drive straight with moderate speed. It is also mentioned in the car manual.
                      Why risk it when u can wait 2 minutes ?
                      I always let her run 2-3 minutes in the morning, my shifts at low temperature are appalling, I never step on it unless I have above 70 degrees.
                      "Treat her nicely and she'll treat u even nicer "
                      07 E64 650i Silver

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X