E36 M3 3.0 240 HP A/T US-spec vs E36 M3 3.2 321 HP M/T Evo II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 M3 3.0 240 HP A/T US-spec vs E36 M3 3.2 321 HP M/T Evo II

Hi All, I have a couple of Beamer related queries I was hoping you could answer:

In terms of:

1) Practicality
    2) Reliability
    3) Maintenance Costs
    4) Parts availability
    5) Resale value

Which car would be better, an E36 M3 3.0 US-spec A/T I have my eyes on, with 240 HP, and something the Missus can drive when I'm not around, or the E36 M3 3.2 Evo II M/T with 321 HP at twice the price of the US one above?

Please note I might go to AutoX events with it, but I'll definitely go to Yas and DA for Track Days, and will drive it on weekends or after work, and it won't be used as a DD at all. From what I've read online so far, the US spec seems to be the one that is easier to live with it as it uses a single VANOS as compared to the dual VANOS in the Evo II, which means the chances of failure are lower. Plus, as the engine is detuned, it is easier to chip-tune it, etc. as compared to the Evo II. Again, I'm not sure how far all this is true, as I've only read this online.

I'm inclined towards the 3.0 M3 even though it has less HP as it's an A/T, and can be driven by others at home, as no one at home has a manual license (even I don't), but I can at least drive a M/T car. Secondly, as its costing me half the price of the Evo II, I can use the savings towards fixing any minor issues it may have. I must add that I have a feeling the 3.0 does require repairs, and I will bring it to DAS Autoworks for a full check-up before buying it. On the other hand, the 3.2 Evo II has been maintained properly, and has a proper owner who knows his Beamers and has never been neglected, and comes with a short shifter and coilovers.

Depends on what you prefer under your circumstances.

Ignoring the circumstances, I would take the M3 EVO.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

You mean the Evo II yeah? Honestly, I would too.

Comment

if your looking for more power and handeling go for the M/T 3.2 evo
        and prepare yourself for some headecs !!

if your looking for more relaible car with go with the 3.0 A/T US as those cars parts can be found in coldstore :D

but if you wanna mix both and have good track car toy with less headecs
        get the 3.0 US and do it manual at Das Autowork

good luck

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Can you kindly elaborate on why the Evo II would give me headaches and how the 3.0 is more reliable? Cheers!

Comment

I would vote for the Evo. if the car is properly maintained and driven then its reliable and can bring so many sports car to shame. I dont c the point of getting a detuned Automatic ///M but thats just me! Goodluck.....btw what year is the Evo and how much is it selling for?

Comment

Hi , am happy to share my experience on both cars , and all what I will mention down
              Is based on what I experienced so far with both models, specially the engines

You've mention 5 solid points which your looking form both cars :-
              1) Practicality
              2) Reliability
              3) Maintenance Costs
              4) Parts availability
              5) Resale value

All above can 100% be applied to the US spec M3
              The M5X/S5X engines has forged internals , longer life bearings and perfect engine management compared to the S50 Euro , the S50 US is more stronger and more reliable and the best part of it shares most of the engine parts with M50,M52 engines which will save maintenance cost way above S50 EVOs ,

Few mechanics knows how to work on S50 EVOs but many mechanics will work on S50 US
              With very normal basic tools .

The Tune market is full of S50 US parts compared to S50 EVO , price is also away less and many options available .

S50 EVO is very powerful machine, very strong response engine but it won't live longer under loads , it has weak bearings , weak oil system design and need to be cooled all the time to keep it live longer and healthy, above all the dual vanos system is other story to mention ,

I used both cars with full throttle pedal and always worried if I've been in S50 Evo, thinking of how will I get parts and how much will I pay to repair if it brake , but never had any bad feeling wit the US M3 ,

Both cars share same chassis parts with slight few different in drivetrain and axle on the EVOs and maybe some brake kits .

The US space S50 proved to handel more boost compared to S50 EVOs with stock internals
              Note that I haven't mentioned power comprising but the free 100hp in Evo engines is more to maintain

Note that I had a 4 Door E36 with S52 3.2 US with slight modes (nice cams , headers + Tune ) and kick some nice Evos here in Bahrain

I do love the S50 Evo engines is in my blood but I can't compare the reliability with the S50 US

That's my opinion
              Last edited by MR.E36I; 25-01-2011, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozimandius View Post
                Thanks for the responses. Can you kindly elaborate on why the Evo II would give me headaches and how the 3.0 is more reliable? Cheers!
                I have owned an E36 M3 Evo SMG1 (321 bhp) Euro spec 1998/8 for the past 3.5 years.Very Reliable car never had any major probs.
                My car gave me plenty of pleasure and never any headaches,the only headache I got was the next day after a piss up.
                Personal opinion, Evo is the better toy!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ramzi View Post
                  I would vote for the Evo. if the car is properly maintained and driven then its reliable and can bring so many sports car to shame. I dont c the point of getting a detuned Automatic ///M but thats just me! Goodluck.....btw what year is the Evo and how much is it selling for?
                  I agree, as the Evo II was maintained well, and kept well. The person selling it knows his cars, especially Beamers, and I don't doubt him at all. Problem is it's a manual and twice the price.

The 3.0 US-spec is being offered for AED 12,300, and is the same one that was spotted for sale by some members months ago, the one which was neglected for 2 years. I've driven it, and it drives just fine, however, the owner is fishy, and I have a gut feeling it will definitely require repairs which is why I want to get it checked out at DAS Autoworks before I commit to him. The price may sound cheap, but the bonnet and roof paint is faded too, and it has a ****** sound system (amps, etc.) which I'll get rid of.

How much would a proper full body paint job cost anyway, and I believe the resale value of the car will drop when it's repainted, correct? I don't intend on selling it anytime soon, but I don't want to be ripped off either.

This is the one btw:

http://bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4848

The Evo II on the other hand is being offered for approx. 25k.

Originally posted by shak "X" View Post
                  I have owned an E36 M3 Evo SMG1 (321 bhp) Euro spec 1998/8 for the past 3.5 years.Very Reliable car never had any major probs.
                  My car gave me plenty of pleasure and never any headaches,the only headache I got was the next day after a piss up.
                  Personal opinion, Evo is the better toy!!!!!
                  Thanks Shak X, good to know the experience from a BMW pro's POV.

@ MR.E36I, I appreciate your exhaustive response with the details. Thing is, the US spec, as I mentioned before, has not been maintained the same way the Evo II has, and if I were to go for it, I'll be spending 12,300 + insurance + paint job + repairs/replacement of worn out parts which will bring the total cost to a figure close to the Evo II.

How much would performance upgrades for the 3.0 cost btw, and what sort of improvement figures am I looking at?

Comment

Go for the EvoII... that is a pretty good price. I'm not 100% sure here but a full repaint would cost you an upshot of 6k.. EvoII sounds like the wiser choice but that's just me
                    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

No comparo there. The E36 M3 US can NOT be compared in any way to the Euro E36 M3. Period.

From your inquiry, you are looking at two different life styles with both cars. You either have a me-only sports car, or a family sports car. You want a "proper" track car, which is fast everywhere on the track; straights and corners, buy into the EVO. You want a fun all-rounder, buy the US spec.

There's a reason we've sold two Euro motor conversions to Canada and the States in 6 months! There's no point in buying a detuned motor and taking it up there, right? Want a fast car, buy a fast car. Not to talk about manual VS. automatic ofcourse.

BTW, the double-VANOS issue is almost a myth. Drive her well, keep a check-up habit, and you won't have problems with the engine. Many examples around.

Comment

After reading all the posts, and as I expected, I'm inclined towards the Evo II, primarily due to the fact it's not everyday I'm going to be buying an M, so might as well go for the best of the two choices. Secondly, the US has a shady buyer who neglected his car, unlike the Evo II. Thirdly, the final cost of the US spec one is close to the Evo II, so there's no point in going for the US spec one, unless he really reduces his price.

Thanks all. Keep your responses coming though ;). By next week I hope to finalize the purchase.

Comment

look at it from the bright side...

-us m3 wife can drive it and it's low on costs
                          -evo m3 you are the only one who can drive it and it's relatively higher on costs

conclusion, both are good but obviously the evo is more of a real M3 if you ask. on the bad side all BMWs need attention. so it's your game your choice

Comment

one word, EVO...
                            i am driving an e36 evo 1998 manual since 2006 and never faced a problem. I am sure you will enjoy the car, just maintain it properly and it will last forever. use proper oil ( i always use castrol tws for example) and genuine parts as consumables (that are not really expensive btw) and you will be happy and excited to drive the car.

i totally agree with all what Ayham said, why to buy a 240hp car and tune it while you can buy a 321hp car with a very good price that you have been offered btw.

thanks,
                            sigpic

My signature photo says it all!!!

Comment

Ayham said it all

nothing to add

US spec is more reliable yes... but this should and can not mean that Euro spec is not reliable!

Come on, if you take any of the M engine, say F10, and demod it to its 60% power of course it will become reliable like a stone!!!!

While american guys are drooling on our Euro engine why should i look for a modded 325 engine????

i have seen a lot of american spec cars with Euro engine but do not remember any Euro spec one with american spec "demodded but reliable" engine...

Comment

Working...
                              X