Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Naj is buying ANOTHER car!!! M5 guys MUST read

Guys,

Whats up? When r we doing the next drive?

Anyways back to business.. I am planning to buy a BMW again. My love for the car is too great and the fact that my 91 and 93 M5's had more options then my 2008 Lumina SS still baffles me! Cant beat it!

1st So I have my eye on a 2001 M5 which is single owner (family friend) low mileage. Silver/blk. very nice clean car however he doesnt drive it much so it stays standing for long durations at a time for the past 10 years.

Anyway I wanted to know most common issues.. we have many E39 M5 members in this club.. so start sharing what has been replaced etc on your cars and if you can remember I would like the costs too.

2nd I also like the 6 series.. 645/650 however I have been told to beware of electrical issues that will start occuring after 75k kms and thus I have been told off to buy one. Any comments?

3rd What other BMW's would you guys recommend? I dont really want to go over 100k and if I come close to that figure then it should be a car between 2005-2008.

Awaiting your comments and feed back boys!

Im out..
    Current:
    2011 Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade "Repsol Edition"..

Past ///M's:
    2002 E39 M5 M/6speed LeMans Blue|Reuters Catback|SS Brake lines|EBC pads|Dinan strut brace|B&G Springs|19" VMR VB3 CSL Style rims|IATS|Lower grill with brake ducts|aFe Stage 2 intakes|Evosport under drive pulleys "audiophile"|ZHP Shifter with Alcantara boot and Alcantara handbrake boot|+++
    2001 E46 M3 Coupe M/6speed Silver
    1991 E34 M5 3.6L M/5speed Red
    1993 E34 M5 3.8L M/5speed Black

The good thing about E39 M5s is that you'll hardly face any electronic issues unlike any other cars, the mechanical part plays more than the electronic.. All you'll spend on is oil and fuel, from time to time service and change the mechanical parts that need to be changed.. The spare parts are a little expensive yes, but once you get the OEM stuff trust me they'll last forever..

Like recently I had changed my flywheel, costs AED 3500, yesterday changed four discs, costs AED 3200, but these parts have to be replaced like once in probably four years, I would call this maintenance stuff.. You want to drive a proper car with no squeeks or sounds, you got to replace everything when it needs to, dont delay your maintenance as it might affect other mechanical stuff to fail..

Make sure you get the car properly checked before buying it, Vanos, sensors, etc..

Ive owned my M5 since three years and I never fail to spend on my car, reason is I get pure satisfaction when driving.. Have thought of upgrading to the E60 M5 a million times, but I fail to find a reason to let go of the E39..

If you need any help Naj let us know, trust me you wont be disappointed owning an E39 M5 :) specially the heal and toe with stick shift..

Comment

i've had almost every part changed in my car so it will be pointless listing everything here.

2 things that i would like to convey to you is, look for vanos noise on start up. and make sure you don't have any sort of funny smoke.

Comment

Originally posted by Naj View Post
        2nd I also like the 6 series.. 645/650 however I have been told to beware of electrical issues that will start occuring after 75k kms and thus I have been told off to buy one. Any comments?
        Dont take me as an expert this is just my opinion.
        I have looked at many 6 series for the post 3 months. Most of them had problems with the power steering which I think its about 12 000 to replace. I actually think around 60% of the cars I saw had power steering issues ( and no it wasn't the battery that made the sensor and the warning pop up ).
        However with 100 000 you can get a clean 645 with around 100k mileage, 2005 or 2006 if your lucky.
        There are alot of american spec under 100k if you wanna go the american spec way , I didnt.
        I Dont trust these people sellin american spec AT ALL !

Good luck,
        Hope this helps
        07 E64 650i Silver

sigpic

Comment

Get a mechanic to get underneath the car and check all the control arms and bushings, diff mounts and joints. Check for oil leaks, very important.

If all seems well, go for it! I regret selling my E39 M5 every day of my life! Never found another one like mine.

Comment

In short get a Pre Purchase Check done at Das Autoworks or X Service.
            sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Working...
            X