2002-2005 E46 mileage, steering wheel & lcd screen questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2002-2005 E46 mileage, steering wheel & lcd screen questions

Yet I'm back with some other questions :)

This time it's for a friend who is not really internet friendly(capable/ready) :D Being a responsible friend, I'm here to seek help for him

He's looking to get a 2003-2005 E46 (he's fine with any 318, 325 or 330).

First of all his confusion is on the mileage. Is there a way of understanding if the mileage has been tempered with? Some 2004-2005 makes are around 85K-90K and being paranoid guy he's having a hard time believing these mileages are real.

His second concern is the steering wheel.. Some models have the 4spoke(or arm, don't know how it's referred to) standard steering wheel.. Is it possible to replace this with the 3spoke steering wheel? Transition will be from 4spoke, with control buttons to 3spoke with control buttons.. I've checked the forum and found one thread about this but that's kind of different and there was not enough information available. If possible any ideas how much it could cost?

And finally, he has spotted some ads with an LCD screen on the dashboard.. Now I'm guessing some models are factory fitted with this and basically it's just navigation. Does this have other features as well(similar to on board computer)? If yes. is it possible to get this installed later on(I've seen threads about this as well with one DIY but it'll be way too complicated for him I'm sure) and will it be just navigation, or the whole stereo system will be paired with it as well and of course on board computer thingy? Again, any ideas about the costs?

Thanks in advance to all the extremely helpful members of the forum..

mileage: there is a way to change it, it has been done and will always be done.

steering wheel: when you say the 3 spoke steering wheel are you refering to the M steering wheel? if that's what you mean then yes there is a way to get it fully functional except that you won't find a used one anyways.

LCD screen: not all but most of them have a TV, and NAV if the big LCD screen is present. to do the conversion from the business unit to the LCD unit if my memory serves me right there was a big wiring job that had to be taken, including adding a couple gadgets in the trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
      mileage: there is a way to change it, it has been done and will always be done.
      I'm aware that it's possible to change it but the question is, is it possible to understand that it has been tempered with?

steering wheel: when you say the 3 spoke steering wheel are you refering to the M steering wheel? if that's what you mean then yes there is a way to get it fully functional except that you won't find a used one anyways.
      Yes that's what I'm talking about I guess.. I think if he's that much obsessed with the looks of the standard one he should directly seek a car which already has the M steering wheel then..

LCD screen: not all but most of them have a TV, and NAV if the big LCD screen is present. to do the conversion from the business unit to the LCD unit if my memory serves me right there was a big wiring job that had to be taken, including adding a couple gadgets in the trunk.
      If it's just TV and NAV then I guess it's pointless to go through all the hassle..

:thanks2:

Comment

there are 2 ways of figuring it out.

breifly, usually the mileague is stored in several places in the car, the LCM, EWS, key and dme being one of them. there will be a red dot next to the mileage figure on your cluster telling you that there is something wrong with the readings if it was tempered with. there are devices that could carry such a modification and whoever is doing needs to change the mileague reading on all these units in order not to get that red dot triggered.

now you can double check the mileague of the last service it got in the dealership, or you can get someone to actually figure out if someone managed to change something in the units mentioned above.

a third possible way, which im sure could work but haven't tried it yet. the car usually stores the total liters of fuel it consumed it could but indicate as to whether the mileague is within reason. if you know what i mean, or you can just compare it with some similar car.

Comment

Originally posted by qetadgzcb View Post
          Yet I'm back with some other questions :)

This time it's for a friend who is not really internet friendly(capable/ready) :D Being a responsible friend, I'm here to seek help for him

He's looking to get a 2003-2005 E46 (he's fine with any 318, 325 or 330).

First of all his confusion is on the mileage. Is there a way of understanding if the mileage has been tempered with? Some 2004-2005 makes are around 85K-90K and being paranoid guy he's having a hard time believing these mileages are real.

His second concern is the steering wheel.. Some models have the 4spoke(or arm, don't know how it's referred to) standard steering wheel.. Is it possible to replace this with the 3spoke steering wheel? Transition will be from 4spoke, with control buttons to 3spoke with control buttons.. I've checked the forum and found one thread about this but that's kind of different and there was not enough information available. If possible any ideas how much it could cost?

And finally, he has spotted some ads with an LCD screen on the dashboard.. Now I'm guessing some models are factory fitted with this and basically it's just navigation. Does this have other features as well(similar to on board computer)? If yes. is it possible to get this installed later on(I've seen threads about this as well with one DIY but it'll be way too complicated for him I'm sure) and will it be just navigation, or the whole stereo system will be paired with it as well and of course on board computer thingy? Again, any ideas about the costs?

Thanks in advance to all the extremely helpful members of the forum..
          i would like to share my background since im owner of E46 318i :D

Regarding the mileage you mentioned for some cases its correct, my ride now hitting 76K and as Bruno said its stored in the LCM and for sure the agency (stealer) can check it for u also if the car key the original one it can be checked also through them (original one not replaceable key).

For the steering wheel you mentioned (3 spoke) my car was already equipped with sport 3 spoke steering wheel with control buttons (called - multi function steering wheel) and some of the E46 can be equipped also with 3 spoke steering wheel without controlling buttons which is called non-multifunction steering wheel . I attached pics which let you know what is what :D

I was in one stage to do the DIY for retrofitting the business head unit to the DVD navi system with wide screen and all harness but believe me its not easy job to do! And it ll required the re-coding or activation by the agency (the price I had for the retrofit it was around 15K)

hope its clear now and helpful :) keep us updated

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
          E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

I'm looking for E46 as well and I don't care about what engine is it.

Been for 3 months now, and even went to the Japanese Imports in Al Aweer, most of them were under 100,000KMs, which made me a bit confused, after some researches, Japan have some law which prevent cars from going over 120,000kms or something like that. ( that's what I understood )

Which made since to me too, and plus most of them look like they were used for let's say 60,000kms, everything seems like it has been used for that mileage ( interior, exterior, engine bay...etc )

What always stops me is their ridiculous prices ! (ex: 318i for 45,000AED ??? )

Good luck !
            sigpic
            07' HFP Accord | Current
            HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Bruno; thanks a lot for the information.. Wondering if Juno Garage or X-Service or Das Autoworks can check for this?

eoudeh; nice answer there with supporting illustrations :) thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by M_Powerholic View Post
                I'm looking for E46 as well and I don't care about what engine is it.

Been for 3 months now, and even went to the Japanese Imports in Al Aweer, most of them were under 100,000KMs, which made me a bit confused, after some researches, Japan have some law which prevent cars from going over 120,000kms or something like that. ( that's what I understood )

Which made since to me too, and plus most of them look like they were used for let's say 60,000kms, everything seems like it has been used for that mileage ( interior, exterior, engine bay...etc )

What always stops me is their ridiculous prices ! (ex: 318i for 45,000AED ??? )

Good luck !
                Aren't you any satisfied with the ads on Dubizzle? Seems to be quite a bit of proper-looking E46s there??

Ridicilous prices over at the Japanese Imports? Such as??

Good luck to you as well!

Comment

I'm satisfied with Dubizzle, went to check many cars, most of them as you said before don't have their original mileage, mechanical issues, accidents and repaired exteriors, high prices...etc

Japanese imports, you can go check them by yourself, I already mentioned an example, and there are many more if you want ! :)
                  sigpic
                  07' HFP Accord | Current
                  HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

Comment

Bruno; thanks a lot for the information.. Wondering if Juno Garage or X-Service or Das Autoworks can check for this?

eoudeh; nice answer there with supporting illustrations :) thanks..
                    X service or das yes.... but Janu hell no.

be careful with janu

Comment

Japanese imports, you can go check them by yourself, I already mentioned an example, and there are many more if you want ! :)
                      Hmm, when I checked your reply the part in the parenthesis was not there :eyes2:

Well I'm totally unaware of the right prices but according to Dubizzle 2004-2005 325/330 models with around 120K are around 35,000 AED?? What should be the right price in your opinion?

Comment

X service or das yes.... but Janu hell no.

be careful with janu
                        Well I have a friend who has been taking his 05 318i to Janu for quite a long time and he has never had a single bad experience (and he looks after his car better than his girlfriend :D).. However on these forums I've read stuff about Janu that would leave best horror stories rather like bedtime stories!?

Btw, I've checked with both X-service and Das and they're asking for 700AED for a pre-purchase check up whereas Juno is asking for 300AED?? OK I get it, most probably X-service and Das is checking for lots more but come on, it sounds weird to pay 700AED check-up fee for a car that costs around 35,000AED.. Am I gravely mistaken here??

Comment

Hmm, when I checked your reply the part in the parenthesis was not there :eyes2:

Well I'm totally unaware of the right prices but according to Dubizzle 2004-2005 325/330 models with around 120K are around 35,000 AED?? What should be the right price in your opinion?
                          That's an average price for 2005 !

2001-2004 is for 30k or less...
                          sigpic
                          07' HFP Accord | Current

Comment

That's an average price for 2005 !
                            2001-2004 is for 30k or less...
                            30K or less!!!!??? Show me a proper one at those prices I'll buy one myself?? All these people on Dubizzle, are they really able to sell their cars at those prices.. According to you, their advertised prices are way too high and none should be able to sell them in this case??

Comment

Well I have a friend who has been taking his 05 318i to Janu for quite a long time and he has never had a single bad experience (and he looks after his car better than his girlfriend :D).. However on these forums I've read stuff about Janu that would leave best horror stories rather like bedtime stories!?

Btw, I've checked with both X-service and Das and they're asking for 700AED for a pre-purchase check up whereas Juno is asking for 300AED?? OK I get it, most probably X-service and Das is checking for lots more but come on, it sounds weird to pay 700AED check-up fee for a car that costs around 35,000AED.. Am I gravely mistaken here??
                              paying this amount on trust proper workshop ll save u alot in future, just try to ring both AGMC & ADM for pr-purchase check up and u ll hear how much ll cost :)
                              as the guys said...be aware to deal with Janu

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                              E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Working...
                              X