Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick question - or just some advice

Hi all.

Still loving my 330CI, have put a few Km's on it since I have had it... :bmwfan:

:-)

Anyway, just after I purchased the car (Oct 2010) I took it for an oil service at X-service centre. They had maintained the car from previous 2 owners, and could vouch for the history etc. They performed a mechanical once-over and confirmed it was in great condition.

Recently (about 3 weeks ago) I noticed a vibration above a certain speed (let's say 120 km/h) from the front of the vehicle. The steering wheel also appears a little bit offset to the right (have to hold it slightly left to keep the car straight).

I took it back to X service centre, who advised me to get a full balancing / alignment. This I did (can't remember the place, but it was round the corner) and their computer showed the front right wheel was out of spec (camber was 2.3 deg, spec is 1.1 deg). After the balancing / alignment, camber was down to 2.1, but still 1 deg out of spec. They queried if the car had been in an accident.

Off I go back to X service centre, who agree to investigate.

Fast forward a couple of days, they had done some initial investigation. They recommended I replace the following items:

Part number 31211096430 Knuckle arm
    Part number 31226757024 Wheel bearing

They informed me that these parts are not available in UAE, and would have to be ordered from Germany. Price quoted was 2500 AED +

Now, they also informed me that these parts may NOT fix the problem.

I asked them to wait until I consider my options.

So, does the course of action suggested by X service centre sound reasonable, and is it true these parts are not available in UAE? I can't understand that!!

I am in no way knocking them of course, have had excellent service so far, I am just a little cautious.

Appreciate your thoughts, if you have the time.

Cheers!

PS - The access road where I work is in the process of being finished, so we are using a temporary (a.k.a off road) access, pretty sure this is where the 'damage' occurred.
    Last edited by rOcKeTmAn_76; 19-12-2010, 09:03 PM. Reason: For being a spelling doofus.

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

Yes, I've ordered some wheel bearings myself. Took 3 weeks till I received them. Kudos BMW dealers....Not.

Anyway, with such difference in alignment figures;

- Control arms are bent (I have a set of brand new ones in stock)
    - Front arms bushings are worn out
    - Far fetch; your struts are bent
    - Strut hats are worn out

Wheel bearing has nothing to do with alignment.

Comment

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

My 330's suspension kept on failing you name it lower arms, front arm bushings etc... The road where I live now was under construction and kept on destroying it bit by bit. They tend to fail but also the road conditions speed up this process... You will eventually be needing other parts as Ayham said but the guys at x want to help you out and try to minimize the bill by going through the potential failures step by step. Priotizing things I guess. Never doubted their work though and you are in safe hands. I also had to change my shocks too but I don't think yours are as bad :)

Comment

Originally posted by rOcKeTmAn_76 View Post
        Hi all.

Still loving my 330CI, have put a few Km's on it since I have had it... :bmwfan:

:-)

Anyway, just after I purchased the car (Oct 2010) I took it for an oil service at X-service centre. They had maintained the car from previous 2 owners, and could vouch for the history etc. They performed a mechanical once-over and confirmed it was in great condition.

Recently (about 3 weeks ago) I noticed a vibration above a certain speed (let's say 120 km/h) from the front of the vehicle. The steering wheel also appears a little bit offset to the right (have to hold it slightly left to keep the car straight).

I took it back to X service centre, who advised me to get a full balancing / alignment. This I did (can't remember the place, but it was round the corner) and their computer showed the front right wheel was out of spec (camber was 2.3 deg, spec is 1.1 deg). After the balancing / alignment, camber was down to 2.1, but still 1 deg out of spec. They queried if the car had been in an accident.

Off I go back to X service centre, who agree to investigate.

Fast forward a couple of days, they had done some initial investigation. They recommended I replace the following items:

Part number 31211096430 Knuckle arm
        Part number 31226757024 Wheel bearing

They informed me that these parts are not available in UAE, and would have to be ordered from Germany. Price quoted was 2500 AED +

Now, they also informed me that these parts may NOT fix the problem.

I asked them to wait until I consider my options.

So, does the course of action suggested by X service centre sound reasonable, and is it true these parts are not available in UAE? I can't understand that!!

I am in no way knocking them of course, have had excellent service so far, I am just a little cautious.

Appreciate your thoughts, if you have the time.

Cheers!

PS - The access road where I work is in the process of being finished, so we are using a temporary (a.k.a off road) access, pretty sure this is where the 'damage' occurred.
        Hi mate,
        I run the X centre,I will have a look at your job card first thing in the morning and find out more about your car's problem.
        There must be reason why we quoted you a knuckle arm and bearing!!!
        If the knuckle arm is bent then its had in impact thus causing damage to the bearing!
        And yes this will throw you alignment out!!
        Who was your advisor at the X ?

Comment

Thanks all for the quick replies.

Of course i have no reason to doubt X service centre, just to be clear!

Ayham - they told me the wheel bearing would need replacing if the knuckle arm was changed, it may be damaged. Hopefully i wont need the control arms replacing, but good to know parts are in stock in needed. :)

Shak "x" - thanks, I have sent you a mail with the plate number. Suresh has been dealing with me so far.

Bruno - fingers crossed the shocks are OK!

Comment

Just want to say a big thanks to shak "X" who has provided a top notch level of service, in my opinion. :bow:

He was kind enough to perform another check of the vehicle free of charge to narrow down the issue for me (yes, bent knuckle arm :-( ). Not much of an option, but have now ordered the parts. Hopefully this will solve the issue.

I am still at a loss what caused the bent arm, pot hole with a flat tyre is really my only thought.

Comment

Working...
            X