Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions on X5(E53) / Range Rover / X-Terra / Pajero (advice required)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xterra FTW.

The Infiniti maintenance costs aren't that high, at least not for the FX35 2008. It's excellent on-road, but rear legroom is lacking. And pants off-road, as it's a sports SUV on a car platform (G35).

Comment

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You have to decide what you want. The first step is to decide whether you want a car with or without off road capability. For off road I would suggest the land cruiser. Or the RR. But beware that the non supercharged RRs feel rather heavy.

If you are looking for one without off road capability you have loads of choices. Starting from the Cayenne right down to the RAV4 and the CRV.

Once you have made up your mind about what you want you will be better focused on what type of car to get and can make the choice that best suits your budget.
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Also don't forget the ammerican cars. They are cheap in every sense of the word and give you voices of with and without off road capability.

I have had a Cady Escallase for a couple of years and loved it. You cannot go up dunes with it but it will drift in the desert sand.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, he needs comfort too, and the RAV4 and CRV won't provide that. But I agree, decide on the on-road/off-road bit first (Are there any that can provide both with a reasonable price?), and then take it from there.

Comment

If you want off road capability you have to compromise on on road driving. Occlude this applies only to serious off roaders like LC RR NP.

So you have to decide what part you are willing to compromise.
            sigpic

Comment

BigLion; thanks for sharing your maintenance costs for the X5.. The numbers don't look that bad.. What about the regular maintenance(every 10,000KM or 15,000KM) costs?

SHkater; I'm already off the Pajero, thanks for the info though..

Ozimandius; well I haven't been able to find approximate maintenance costs for the FX35 still(2005-2006) but I've read tons of comments on Edmunds and the car seems extremely reliable (I value the reviews on Edmunds as I've gone through lots of cars in the past and people do complain if there really are problems)..

Hasan Shaikh; unfortunately LC is way out of my reach.. My maximum would be around 80K(by pushing myself hard).. I'm not really concerned about the off-road capabilities as I won't really be dune bashing a lot.. Maybe just once in couple of months and it'll be on basic level.. Then we come down to the options you've mentioned.. Not considering the CRV or RAV4 & similar.. Not considering the Chayenne or RR due to high maintenance/repair costs.. And Americans are also too expensive in general(at least the proper SUVs)

Basically I'm down to 3 options.. X-Terra, X5 and FX35..
              - X5 is quite scaring me about reliability as there are lots of comments about the car being glued together :) The maintenance doesn't seem extreme (according to BigLion)
              - X-Terra has a nice exterior look though I don't like the interior.. It's cheap to buy and maintain and is good for off-road too when I feel a bit adventurous. The problem is nearly all ads are with basic packages, they even lack leather seats..
              - FX35, seems like a good option.. No proof of low maintenance yet but lots of comments on high reliability.. No off-road abilities(something I can live with if it's going to be FX35). Quite expensive though, 2006 models for around 80K, any idea if these are real market values or just advertised values?

Options out of the picture..
              - Chayenne; too expensive to maintain.
              - RR; expensive to maintain and more importantly scared sh**less of the suspension failure.
              - LC; too expensive to buy
              - Pajero; high maintenance for a Japanese car, I don't see a point.
              - FJ; simply can't live with an interior like that..
              - CRV, RAV4 & similar; I don't like them..

Overall I can say that I'm just looking for a SUV which will please my eye most importantly, will not be too expensive to maintain and will be in my range.. (just as Mustafa K. noticed)

Comment

Hummer H1, H2, H3 FTW :D

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

long story short.

if you want to take the car to the desert that automatically takes out the likes of the FX, X5, and RR.

if you want to go then i'm afraid that you will need to get yourself a japanese car, be it. Xterra, FJ, Prado, patrol. it comes down to your personal taste.

on another hand i would like to recommend one particular car. a friend has a 2004 discovery, with extremely low miles. it's a manual transmission and just came had a major serivice before the warranty ended. yes it had a warranty up until this year.

that car is a lovely car on and off the road, i was very impressed and least expecting it.

Comment

Originally posted by qetadgzcb View Post

- X5 is quite scaring me about reliability as there are lots of comments about the car being glued together :) The maintenance doesn't seem extreme (according to BigLion)
                    - X-Terra has a nice exterior look though I don't like the interior.. It's cheap to buy and maintain and is good for off-road too when I feel a bit adventurous. The problem is nearly all ads are with basic packages, they even lack leather seats..
                    - FX35, seems like a good option.. No proof of low maintenance yet but lots of comments on high reliability.. No off-road abilities(something I can live with if it's going to be FX35). Quite expensive though, 2006 models for around 80K, any idea if these are real market values or just advertised values?
                    the FX35 almost got me killed everytime i drove it. sorry but whoever engineered the back end of the car needs to be shot right in the brains.

i'll take the X5 anyday. the Xterra is nice too, but i'll feel a bit more comfy with the X5 parked down stairs instead of a jap fart can which is also good

Comment

Hmm, problem with the FX35 is that you can't take it for the casual offroad weekend either, it does have AWD, when activated, but those low profile 20" rims aren't meant for the gravel or sand, and good tires cost anywhere around 1k EACH, as the members noted here.

I'd recommend Armada, but it has reliability issues, but is powerful, comfy, but MASSIVE. Despite the size, it's easy to drive around in and is extremely spacious. And it fits your budget easily.

I'm not sure if a Honda Pilot suits you, but it's over your budget.

Mitsu Pajero and Nativa suck.

Prado and Fortuner are too common and dated (referring to the previous generation).

You've already ruled out US SUVs, but do consider the new Grand Cherokee. I drove it offroad and on, and it's excellent, with loads of features, very comfy, and zippy thanks to the 290HP engine. Ask them for the price though.

How 'bout Euro ones, such as the Touareg? Crap resale, but brill interior, and not totally useless for the casual weekend offroad bash.

Finally, I believe you'll be able to squeeze in a Nissan Patrol in your budget :D. I disagree with some saying it sucks on-road. Rock solid reliability too, and loads of aftermarket parts and upgrades.

Comment

eoudeh; good one though I would agree for H1 only :D

Bruno; I'm already a huge fan of the post face-lift Discovery IIs.. But you know what they say, if it isn't leaking then it isn't a Land Rover. I'm scared of the maintenance(and moreover repair costs as it's a 2004 car there's a high risk of facing lots of unexpected failures).. But anyway, is your friend's car for sale? I would love to take a look :) and what's the problem with the FX35, can you please be little more specific??

Ozimandius; Armada is a massive car and I've to admit that I'm attracted to it just because of it's colossal dimensions :D I'd never thought it to be within my range(seriously why the hell is it so cheap??) thus I have never considered it.. Sadly, if it has reliability issues it's direct NO for me, I get pissed off too easily and I don't want to ruin my days :)

Don't like the Pilot anyway and Grand Cherokee is out of my range + the only Jeep I would buy would be a Wrangler which I would buy for off-road use only so I can heavily abuse it :D

Don't really envy the Touareg, I'll feel like my dad if I ever drove one of those :p

Patrol is a nice choice but again, really above my budget :(
                        Last edited by qetadgzcb; 20-12-2010, 10:22 AM. Reason: correcting stuff..

Comment

i can vouch for how bad he abused the warranty... he made them change the brakes, ABS, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, ignition coils, MAFs, sparkplugs, etc.... all under warranty lol.

he mentioned that he wants to sell it a while ago so not sure if he already did.

we had one last year and sold it for 80k it was a 2006 model. drive the car on any bridge or flyover, and as soon as you cross on those metal connectors on the ground you will realize how the tail loosens up a bit. while being on a highway any wrong turn and the car will go wild if you'r not in full control. you can't beat the looks though and the realibilty.

my advice is go with the xterra it's not bad and cheap and roomy. down the line get yourself a sports car.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpk0jcjC2SI
                            check out this link and it might help you a bit....
                            E39///M5 (Carbon Black)
                            E39///M kit 530i (Le Mans Blue)
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by qetadgzcb View Post
                              - X5 is quite scaring me about reliability as there are lots of comments about the car being glued together :)
                              It's a conversation we were having about the engine and tranny being made by BMW in Germany, but the rest of the car being made in California.. I'm seeing how it goes in the long run!

Eoudeh, a friend of mine has a Hummer H3 and it seems pretty comfy inside and rugged enough for off-roading which he does about once a month - definitely worth a look; the only thing I didn't like was that it has leaf-spring suspension which creaks every time you go over a bump or corner - just got on my nerves a bit, otherwise a great choice!

Bruno, you could add the Audi Q7 to the list of SAVs that are rubbish in the desert, apparently; also they are shockingly expensive!!

Anyone know if the LR2 is good off-road?

I could only find this picture of one with Maria Sharapova, I'm afraid ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X