Bad weekend for my car :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad weekend for my car :(

Well as the title says, there are some weekends that suck, big time and this was one of them
    On Thursday evening, the weather was nice so i pressed the electric roof button and nothing totally dead. I tried everything but the roof would not go down. Ok, I thought, something to fiddle with on Friday.
    On Friday I went to the shops just before trying to fix the roof, the driver’s side window was down, so I parked outside the shop and pressed the button to close the window, nothing, you could hear the motor wine but the window did not budge.
    So I went home and stripped the door down. The control arm had unwelded itself from the motor regulator. The stupid thing is held on by 3 small spot welds!
    By now all the work shops were closed, So I forced the window up and wedged a screwdriver in to stop it falling.
    At 7:00am on Saturday I went to the garages in Budiyah and asked them to weld it back up, the regulator is held in with 6mm pop rivets, so they said, come back in 2 hours we don't have a drill to drill them out. Ok, so I go home and drill the rivets out myself and go straight back.. What a job that was, the mechanic guy and I worked on the car until 1:00 pm and eventually got it braised back together and working..
    Went to start the car to go home, the battery had died. We checked the battery and it was the original 1995 battery, so 40 BD later I have a new one. I go home.
    I went to fit the trims and all the door cards etc. and closed the window, except instead of closing the window opened, press open and it closes... We never touched the motor and the wires cannot be crossed!
    The trouble is that the window goes down slightly when you open/close the door, and now it does that part when the window is fully open. If The window is closed you can't close the door..
    So I strip it all down again, its is exactly the same as the other side, no difference, all the other doors/windows work perfectly.. I tried plugging in the laptop and using the OBD interface, but still back to front.
    In the end I cut the two wires to the motor and reversed them, so it now goes the right way.. But what a waste of a weekend :(

On Monday I started to check out the electric roof, I pulled out all the panels to expose the motors and was just about to pull the electrics out when I decided to check the fuses… It was a 5 amp fuse gone, so now roof works..

Glad it worked out well in the end.

By the way, the fuse is the first thing I would check.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

hi, spoke too soon, the fuse #7 has blown again. Any ideas what would cause this?

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9500/5.0.0.841 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/124)

It is generally caused by electrical surges.
        sigpic

Comment

Agreed, is your battery or alternator working ok?

Comment

check if there are no naked wires... sometimes if the wires are not covered properly they will cause the fuse to blow. any electric circuit will cause a fuse to blow

Comment

Hi, I'll check to see if there is anything obvious. Does nayone know what fuse #7 does? on the E36 1995 convertible (apart from 1 of 3 for the roof)

Comment

Gnerally there is a diagram on the fuse compartment cover that tells what each fuse is for.

You might also find something in the owner's manual.
                sigpic

Comment

:iagree:

E36 1996 325 coupe MT + supercharged RIP
                  E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech + Bolt On's CURRENT
                  E30 1989 325 M50 Mtech coupe MT + RIP
                  E30 1990 325 M50 Mtech coupe AT SOLD
                  E30 1991 325 low 4door AT SOLD
                  E30 1988 320 ac schnitzer 4door AT RIP
                  E36 1992 325 M50nv MT DRIFT/RACE CAR CURRENT
                  E34 1991 525 ac schnitzer Daily CURRENT

Comment

all what you need is in this document i guess http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/19...g%20Manual.pdf

Comment

Nick, I know what you mean about time-munching small repairs! But let's hope you had all your problems happen and solved for the next year in a couple of days...

Bruno, awesome link there - do you have one for the E53??

Comment

Working...
                      X