SECRETS Behind The HPF 1000 RWHP Daily Driven BMW M3 RACE ENGINES - VIDEO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SECRETS Behind The HPF 1000 RWHP Daily Driven BMW M3 RACE ENGINES - VIDEO

For the past two years, we've kept our HPF Turbo M3 Stage 2.5, 3 and 4 engine builds somewhat under wraps. We've shown pictures of the components we've helped develop and used in these engines and lots of videos of what these engines can do both on the track and on the street. Until now we haven't released more specific details of how we build these engines and get them to survive the long term abuse we put them through.

I decided to present a series of videos that will walk an average car enthusiast through many of the steps we take to build these engines. I believe there is enough information in these videos to reach people at all levels of experience.

All videos are in high definition. To watch in high definition, click on the title at the top and in the new window click 720p in the lower right and the 4 arrows to make it full screen.

[YOUTUBE]XRAnBgQ_B7M[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]HRC8wrl7vdM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]3Hu9d03IElU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]1Doa-0M2flg[/YOUTUBE]

Secrets shared, are secrets lost!
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

i believe they are sharing knowledge and info... to which i say kudos
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I'm with Waz!
        sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

good & basically informative , so what about the head work
          ????? I think a lot & more engineering is involved in head
          preparation

Comment

Great initiative Chris....Says a lot about your business :)

Comment

What I love about this is you're not out to build engines with the highest HP numbers only. But you're building sustainable high HP ones instead.

Won't comment on every step, but that's high quality engine work with good engine builders!!

Cheers!!

PS: Anything about the rest of the build ? Drive line components ? Tuning ?
              sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
              Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
              LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
              P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
              Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Thanks guys. The tuning is all done with our HPF/AEM engine management system and these engines run our turbo kits. Because the S54 heads flow so incredibly well from the factory, we do zero head work to them to achieve 1022rwhp. The limitation at that power level is the turbo, not the head. :)

Chris.

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9500/5.0.0.841 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/124)

Come on guys. I was only trying to be funny. Turns out I failed rather miserably.
                  sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

I've read a few articles here and there on engine block building and I have to admit, the way those video's illustrate the processes makes those articles look like child play. Very informative video's thanks for sharing with us Chris.

Originally posted by HPF Chris View Post
                    Because the S54 heads flow so incredibly well from the factory, we do zero head work to them to achieve 1022rwhp.
                    But aren't the S54 heads designed for a naturally aspirated engine? I mean at 40 pounds of boost you're flowing more than 3 times more air into the engine, how can a factory head still flow that air in efficiently? I'm not saying they don't get the job done, but from what I've seen you guys pay a lot of attention to detail, don't you think the heads also deserve a little treat?
                    '08 G37S with bolt-ons, a drop and 20's

Comment

looks like AGMC ....! LOOOOOOOOL
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by G37Sam View Post
                        I've read a few articles here and there on engine block building and I have to admit, the way those video's illustrate the processes makes those articles look like child play. Very informative video's thanks for sharing with us Chris.

But aren't the S54 heads designed for a naturally aspirated engine? I mean at 40 pounds of boost you're flowing more than 3 times more air into the engine, how can a factory head still flow that air in efficiently? I'm not saying they don't get the job done, but from what I've seen you guys pay a lot of attention to detail, don't you think the heads also deserve a little treat?
                        The S54 head flows 30% more than a Supra 2JZ-GTE head without any modifications. The S54 engine has dual vanos which allows you to program the cams to be at any position at any RPM and level of boost. We made 1022rwhp at 32psi with the stock head and stock cams. And that's not with a massive turbo either. :)

Chris.

Comment

Interesting comparo to the king of FI engines, the 2J...

Comment

Originally posted by HPF Chris View Post
                            The S54 head flows 30% more than a Supra 2JZ-GTE head without any modifications.
                            Looks like the engineers at BMW had you guys in mind when they were designing their heads haha

The S54 engine has dual vanos which allows you to program the cams to be at any position at any RPM and level of boost. We made 1022rwhp at 32psi with the stock head and stock cams. And that's not with a massive turbo either. :)

Chris.
                            Nice, I know you've already shared enough secrets with us, but can you shed some light on how VANOS is tuned (how much valve overlap you aim for?) when you're boosted? Do you guys also go for higher lift cams? Or is the valvetrain also left untouched?
                            '08 G37S with bolt-ons, a drop and 20's

Comment

The final product :) Enjoy!

[youtube]oIgRjAVtN7A[/youtube]
                              Current
                              E92 M3 - Mineral White
                              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                              E36 318is
                              E39 540i ///M sport
                              VW CC
                              E46 M3 - Frozen White