Heavy smoke from my exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heavy smoke from my exhaust

So i was going on a spirited drive yesterday and as i shift into 3rd gear, i rev the car up planning to go all the way just before the red line before shifting into 4th, as the RPM hits 7,500RPMs i look into my rear view mirror only to c what i can describe as a huge cloud of smoke coming from my car as if the car is on fire. the white smoke was sooo heavy that i can barely c the cars behind me, it was similar to what we see wen an F1 car engine blows out.i pull over immediately and leave the car running. All Vitals r fine temp, oil temp idle etc. i got out of the car and looked at the exhaust and it was still giving white smoke. i thought i blew a piston ring but there was no heavy oil burning smell and the car was not giving any smoke before that at all!! there was also barely any smell just smoke. i rev the car, and its very normal, no hesitation, engine sounds fine but as i rev it the heavy white smoke blow out of the exhaust again. After making sure my vitals r still fine and no lights came on i started moving slowly again not revving the car at all. 5 mins into driving the smoke coming from the back was less and less until it completely stopped. i accelerated hard on 2nd gear and the car power is fine and no smoke at all. i park and rev and also no smoke at all!!!!
    i drive the car back home and everything was just normal....this was such a weird experience for me...only recent change i can think of that i have done to my car is the oil change i did last week.

any thoughts anyone?

Check your oil level first. If:

a) it's critically less than normal, my bet is on a blown piston ring/rings.

b) it's normal or slightly less than normal, then it's a classic S50 symptom where excess oil is spurted into the intake due to the lack of an oil separator later found in the M3 GT and M3 EVO.

Comment

I hope its "b)".
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Ayham, I'm gona check the oil level asap.

Question: Since i had a recent oil change, could the possibility of over flooding the car with too much oil lead to choice B? any possibility of permanent damage there?

car seems more than fine now.

Comment

With surplus oil the chances of the intake flooding are greater. Check around the intake for oil spots and you shall know for certain. No damage AFAIK results from this.

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9700/5.0.0.593 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/603)

IMO if it was a piston ring the smoke wont stop no matter wat,as u did an oil change lately it might be an overfill indeed that can be spotted if there's'oil traces around ur intake as ayham said.i hope thats the case.
            Keep us posted!GL
            sigpic

Comment

I checked the car again, engine bay is clean with no oil stains I could notice anywhere. The oil level is still close to full, maybe a bit less than the last time I checked it last week but nothin critical.
              I'm assuming this it all was excess oil into the intake.

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Perform a compression test for peace of mind

Comment

Originally posted by Ramzi View Post
                  I checked the car again, engine bay is clean with no oil stains I could notice anywhere. The oil level is still close to full, maybe a bit less than the last time I checked it last week but nothin critical.
                  I'm assuming this it all was excess oil into the intake.
                  Not the engine bay dude, take off your air filter, MAF and get to your intake boot. Take that clamp off that, remove it and with a powerful flashlight, inspect the main manifold chamber and as many of the runners that are visible from that angle. If there's oil there, then it's your breather. This is common on the S50's.
                  sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                  Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                  LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                  P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                  Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

^ that's what I meant by checking for oil spots. It'd be internal.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                      Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Perform a compression test for peace of mind
                      + 1
                      sigpic

Comment

check

ill do that today and update you.

thnx guys

Comment

Good luck!
                          sigpic

Comment

Passed by the mechanic yesterday, he checked the car and it was fine so it was actuallly the oil spill into the intake which caused the smoke. He insured to me that the oil level was exactly to the marker when he changed the oil so the issue was not caused by excess oil.

anyways glad my Avus blue baby is healthy :D

Comment

Good to know.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X