My Smg/Transmission light come on....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Smg/Transmission light come on....

Hi all, I have a slight problem with my SMG Light, the little Transmission wheel in the corner. The car drives fine in the morning and evenings, no light but as it comes to mid day when its the hottest showing 47 degrees C + on my outside temp reader and if I've parked it out in the sun I have the light come on as I drive the car. One more thing is that as I'm driving in one of the automated modes, the gear suddenly disengages to 0 for a few seconds and then goes back to the gear number I was in. This happens if I've driven it a lot in traffic and such when the sun is scorching down on us. The Temp needle also moves towards the red mark so as I get home for lunch I stop the car and park it in my shaded garage, a couple of hours later I come back and the car is fine as it is cooler, I'm assuming.
    My question is what am I not checking or what could be the problem? I have changed the salmon relay a couple of months ago with a new one from AGMC. Could it just be the heat here in Dubai and these car were not made to withstand these tempeartures? By the way I have a 2003 E46 M3.
    sigpic
    2003 BMW E46 M3
    3.2 Litre Straight 6 Naturally Aspirated Engine

dont drive the car, its because of the eather, the smg pump overheats and cause the relay to fail, change the relay as soon as possible and try not to drive the car when it is above 40 degrees

Comment

Maybe its low on gear oil.
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

have it checked with ayham... he has an intresting device

Comment

This was what my problem faced for the better half of a year... we kept trying to find a solution but gave up and changed the SMG pump eventually and it went away. The symptoms you are talking about are exactly what had been happening to my car!

It started off by disengaging into "0" when I was slowing down to a halt at a traffic light but then progressed into the upshifts as well... by that time I was already fed up and had ordered the SMG pump.

I hope there is a simpler and cheaper option that Ayham can give you.. good luck buddy!
          sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

hmmm keep us posted.....this can get annoying!
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Call me tomorrow on 050-6527722....It could be a multitude of things. Let's chat about it in length tomorrow. :)

Comment

Ayham.... let me know what you guys come up with. I can give you the info on what it is that we did to try and fix the problem... temp sensors, relays, etc :D
                sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Okay Ayham, I'll call u later on today. And guys I will keep u posted on further developments, thanks for your inputs....
                  sigpic
                  2003 BMW E46 M3
                  3.2 Litre Straight 6 Naturally Aspirated Engine

Comment

Give me a call whenever...

Comment

check the hydraulic fluid level

and also it could be the clutch, if it does it after some time using it, the clutch could be getting hot hence the light coming on and the car going into N (or) 0 (neutral!)

:wiggle:

Comment

Any update on the root cause and the solution to this problem?
                        Current
                        E92 M3 - Mineral White
                        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                        E36 318is
                        E39 540i ///M sport
                        VW CC
                        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Working...
                        X