Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Wheels / Column makes clicking sound

Hi,

When I turn the steering wheel of my E60 towards left, it makes a faint clicking sound. What could be problem here? :help:

Thanks.

Originally posted by mkay80 View Post
    Hi,

When I turn the steering wheel of my E60 towards left, it makes a faint clicking sound. What could be problem here? :help:

Thanks.
    Check your indicators if they switch off automatically when steering goes back to the centre position if not check your steering slip ring under the air bag.

Common issue with E60 that the slip ring tends to brake,your air bag light will come on and you will not beable to use your horn or audio functions or any functions of your steering wheel.

Simple check is to remove your airbag and check for physical damage around the slip ring or by the indicator stalk ?

Hope this helps or drop me a call 0502944596 shak

Comment

Thanks Shak, but there is no other problem apart from the clicking sound. I'll be visiting you on Sunday for this and the CD Changer.

I also found some info on the web for this steering wheel click:

Complaint
      An intermittent cracking or clunking noise can be heard when the steering
      is turned at low speed or when manoeuvring
      Production period concerned: E65/E66: Start of series production up to week
      29/04.
      E60/E61/E63/E64, all right-hand-drive vehicles.
      The only left-hand-drive vehicles (LHD) affected are vehicles with an N62 engine:
      Start of series production up to week 26/04.

Important:The E60,E61, E63 and E64 are only affected by cause 2. Thus only measure 2 provides a solution. Carry out measures 1 and 3 only on the E65/E66.

Causes:
      1. The tightening torque of the bolt securing the bottom of the steering spindle to the universal joint with corrugated tube has changed.
      2. A gentle cracking noise from the telescopic toothing at the bottom of the steering spindle may be produced when the steering wheel is turned or when the steering column height is adjusted. This noise is caused by a slip-stick effect.
      3. Burring can be detected on plastic bearing rings manufactured between 12/03 and 04/04. This burring can result in a cracking or grinding noise in individual cases.

Service measures:
      Concerning cause 1: Replace the Torx bolt securing the bottom of the steering spindle to the universal joint with corrugated tube and tighten it to a torque of 28 Nm (refer to current EPC for Torx bolt). The torques in TIS are being updated accordingly.
      Concerning cause 2: Treat the telescopic toothing on the steering spindle with a lubricant spray. BMW part number: 83 22 0 397
      Concerning cause 3: Fit a new plastic bearing ring, BMW part
      number 32 30 6 756 512 (see Repair Instructions 32 31
      102).

Souce: bmw-sg.com

Comment

Working...
      X