X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Help: Things to consider when buying second hand BMW X5

Hi there, i got a good offer to get a 2008 X5 for AED 190,000

I saw the car and test drove it and the car is from AGMC, details I got:

Mileage 40,300KM - i asked if there is service book and i was told that he does not have

There is no warranty

Can i get your opinion on the following:

Given the price, am skeptical whether the car is accident free or not - how can i check it?

Mileage - i have read in other forums that there are ways to adjust it and make it lower - how can i check this

Tyres - rim 21 - require replacement, how much is the rough cost on this?

Please share your thoughts when buying second hand..I tried before and the experience was not good...

Thanks

best thing to do : Take it to AGMC , request for a bumper to bumper check up ( 1800 AED ) and you will get a full report about the car situation - History and the current status of the car .... its worth every single dirham .. if the owner refused to do that ..then for sure there is something wrong behind it ... most of the BMW cars doesn't have service book , but everything is recorded on their computers ...

they will even check the car on the BMW golbal system - so even if the guy took the car once to Abu Dhabi motors for repair or service , AGMC will be able to tell ...

good luck ..

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Isn't 190k very expensive? Ask the owner to show you the receipts and then we can judge. And btw is this the 4.8 or 3.0 model?

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8520/4.6.1.272 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/212)

^ +1 to the above...the car is fairly brand new still, so a clean one shouldn't pose a problem for the owner to thoroughly inspect.

Tires would set you back around 8,000dhs using the Club rates at Pirelli.

Comment

Thanks Ehssan - as the car is in AUH now, can the test be conducted in Abu Dhabi Motors and the same time get the status of the car through the BMW global system?

It's 4.8 V8..2008 with 3rd row seat..

Thanks for the idea on the tyres - 8K for the set, wow!

Thanks guys for the feedback, indeed useful...
          Last edited by Hunyango; 17-04-2010, 10:57 PM. Reason: add answers to replies

Comment

Yes, the car can be inspected even at Abu Dhabi motors.. I think the price is fair for a 2008 model, but try to squeeze the seller even more if possible..

Comment

anyone of the BMW dealers can get access to the BMW global system , they can tell if there is anything wrong with the history of the car ...

Comment

Thanks guys for the assistance...

I just found out after getting the copy of the registration that it is US made but serviced by AGMC..

I know there is a thread on this but do you think the price is competitive and what is the down side of US made vs. GCC specs?

Comment

it's a US spec? i would get a carfax check ASAP! and 190k is too much

Comment

Yes it is..country of origin as per the milkiya is USA...i might try carfax and might offer lower price..

Comment

OH NO NO .. wait .. this doesn't mean it's US specs .. the X5 made in USA ...

you can simply tell from the speedo meter ..if it has Mile and KM speed , then it's US specs ... if the radio can't catch every channel in the UAE ..means it's US specs ..

check the BMW factory label on the side of the driver door from inside ... if it's in arabic then its GCC ..if it's in english ..it will tell where is from ..

Comment

Originally posted by Ehssan View Post
                        OH NO NO .. wait .. this doesn't mean it's US specs .. the X5 made in USA ...

you can simply tell from the speedo meter ..if it has Mile and KM speed , then it's US specs ... if the radio can't catch every channel in the UAE ..means it's US specs ..

check the BMW factory label on the side of the driver door from inside ... if it's in arabic then its GCC ..if it's in english ..it will tell where is from ..
                        +1

BMW history:
                        07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Thanks guys for the feedback, finally checked the car. It is made in US but GCC specs..still a good car, tyres need to be replaced some damage on the rims, mileage is 40,500..

Downside though, manual and dvd navigation are not around...am just wondering, isnt that there is a free service for 5 years or 100,000 and warranty? The seller is not sure on this and he was saying that i need to pay for the next service of 45K. I know in AUH Motors it is a standard offer but not sure with AGMC.

Btw, the seller has agreed to sell the car at 185K however got an offer for similar car from AUH Motors (with warranty and free service though) but for AED 220K. I am doing my math and it seems that the cost will eventually be the same, am i right or am missing something here? Your thoughts please..

Comment

X5's are a lot, so do not rush yourself, just wait and take your time checking and nsha Allah you will get good catch.

By they way, why not to get brand new one? It will be better for you even if you pay little bit more.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bisho View Post
                              By they way, why not to get brand new one? It will be better for you even if you pay little bit more.
                              Bisho, new one costs around 300K, around a 100K difference between a used and a brand new, thats ALOT of money ! Here you say a bit more and there you say Dhs 5 is alot for fuel :banghead:

Comment

Working...
                              X