Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My car's MPG...

HI guys

I was wondering if anyone can shed light on how much i should expect my car to average in terms of MPG. I mainly drive around in the city so i get to a lot of stops and use first 2 gears a lot. i don't always drive enthusiastically especially when there is traffic, so i would say my driving mode is half economy half sporty.

20L of gas here cost around $22 :bash: so i need to make sure my car is running right :hmm:

Thanks

we can't estimate it for you dude .. different country - different conditions ... you have mountains even inside your city

Comment

ramzi i don't know how to calculate MPG.... all what i know is the following.

The E46 M3 engine Full tank from zero is 90 AED for Super, was good for 400KMs
      The E64 M6 engine Full tank from zero is 90 AED for Super, was good for 330KM
      The E30 M20 engine FUll tank from zero is 120 AED for super, was good for 300 KMs

in lebanon the M20 requires a hefty 120,000 LL which is equivilant to $80, it was also good for a about 250 kms since i go to elevations as high as 1600 meters above sea level.

these figures are all average. so now what is the MPG :D

Comment

Bruno its easy to calculate MPG; first, how many liters does every tank of the above cars take?

I think my car takes around 65L.

the reason why I'm bringing this issue up is that i have a faulty O2 sensor and i heard it affects gas mileage but i wanted some sort of a benchmark to know where my car is. Anyways im gona change the sensors soon and will note the difference if any.

Comment

which O2 is faulty ???

Most cars have two oxygen sensors to measure the amount of oxygen contained in the exhaust gas. The first sensor is located on the manifold or header and measures O2 content of the exhaust as it escapes from the cylinders. This sensor is used by the PCM/ECM to calculate fuel trims and look for combustion problems. The second oxygen sensor is located after the catalytic converter and is used only to measure catalytic converter efficiency. The PCM/ECM does NOT use any data from the secondary O2 sensor for engine management. The PCM will set an CEL(check engine light)/SES (service engine soon) / MIL(Malfunction Indicator Lamp) light , if the catalytic converter is removed, the sensor is removed, or the sensor goes bad.

So basically if the First O2 which is before the catalytic are bad , offcourse it affects the fuel usage .. but if the second O2 are bad .. it wont affect your fuel usage ..

hope this info helps you ..

Comment

Thanks a lot Ehssan for the info.

My faulty O2 sensor is the one on the catalytic converter which i believe is either faulty or has been removed completely when the catalytic converter was removed with the previous owner. i checked with my mechanic last night and he confirmed to me what you said that it wont affect MPG.

On my way back, my brother behind me on his bike noticed that i had a weird whitish smoke coming out of my exhaust when i was flooring it on the highway. He said its not the sort of fume you would get when your engine is burning oil, its more of gas not being burnt properly...Then again my bro aint no mechanic so I'm not sure. He even told me it smells weird driving behind my car when i rev high.

I'm not sure the cause of this, and if it can be behind my very poor gas mileage.

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

Take ur car to mimo in mazraat yashou he knows me I guess you'll require some sort of engine check up

Comment

Originally posted by Ramzi View Post
                i checked with my mechanic last night and he confirmed to me what you said that it wont affect MPG.

You didn't beleive me :bash: ..

lool .. just joking dude .. :rofl2:

as Burno said , take it to an M specialest ..

Comment

Working...
                X