My SMG is dead.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SMG is dead.....

Hi guys, just wanted to know, I just bought my car a week ago, its a 2003 E46 M3, LSB with LSB interior and 19" original rims. Sold my previous burgundy E36 328i w/ M3 Body kit and moved on to a real M3. However, I just got this one and my SMG was a little rough and one time the transmission light came one while driving and I shut the car off and after a couple of hours it was gone. Fast forward to a week of having this sexy beast and I start it this morning and it won't go into gear, I turn it off and then it won't start again. Is this a common problem with SMG, I've seen a few threads on here and I don't like what I've been reading, I see the costs could be very high if its a pump right..... Basically what do u think could be my worst and best scenario? I've given it to a local garage which specializes in BMWs only so I'm still waiting on the diagnos.
    sigpic
    2003 BMW E46 M3
    3.2 Litre Straight 6 Naturally Aspirated Engine

another one bites the dust! had the same issues buddy... prepare urself for a good 10k incase the few small options dont work.

1. take it to Dr. Shak at X-Service, if there is one person who knows a little too much about SMG transmissions it's Shak... he hates them but knows them better than any other person.

2. it might be as small as replacing the salmon relay but wait for the Drs diagnosis.

Shak is a great guy and he'll take care of u! did u check the SMG before u purchased the car?
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

your first step should be to change the relay....will cost you about dhs 50....
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Wirelessly posted (HTC_HD2_T8585 Opera/9.7 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

whats the milage on the car and do u know when was the pump changed (if)
        Meskovic
        this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Originally posted by syd9d View Post
          Hi guys, just wanted to know, I just bought my car a week ago, its a 2003 E46 M3, LSB with LSB interior and 19" original rims. Sold my previous burgundy E36 328i w/ M3 Body kit and moved on to a real M3. However, I just got this one and my SMG was a little rough and one time the transmission light came one while driving and I shut the car off and after a couple of hours it was gone. Fast forward to a week of having this sexy beast and I start it this morning and it won't go into gear, I turn it off and then it won't start again. Is this a common problem with SMG, I've seen a few threads on here and I don't like what I've been reading, I see the costs could be very high if its a pump right..... Basically what do u think could be my worst and best scenario? I've given it to a local garage which specializes in BMWs only so I'm still waiting on the diagnos.
          Hi mate!

There could be a number of reasons why your SMG has failed!

1.check your SMG fluid level first.
          2.check your SMG relay.
          3.check for any visable fluid leaks.
          4.If all of the above are ok then do a full SMG bleed and adaption.

The garage you gave your car to should have GT1 (diagnostic) this would tell you exactly what the problem is if they know how to use the GT1 to its full extent.

Comment

can you confirm if the car has a non-shinny feal to the paint job between driver's side door and the rear tire arc?? if that's the case then may the lord be with you.

on another note check what shak has stated in the above post. as he is da man

Comment

Bruno! u never cease to amaze/amuse me :D!!!!!
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.509 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/302)

Originally posted by Bruno
                can you confirm if the car has a non-shinny feal to the paint job between driver's side door and the rear tire arc?? if that's the case then may the lord be with you.

on another note check what shak has stated in the above post. as he is da man
                And a scratch on the bottom of the rear bumper right hand side :D
                This wa7shhho seems to know every damn bimmer around the country!
                sigpic

Comment

Congrats for your new car syd ! Finally you joined the M crew

BTW since you own an M3 now, I suggest you not to ever take it to any local cheap garage, as those guys dont know much about the new tech cars, always take your car to a well known workshop who deal with such cars as yours on a daily basis, to be on the safe side..

Please share some pics of the new ride :)

Comment

it might be a battery issue as well :S
                    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                    eMail:
                    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

chk all abov if all fail then ur SMG pump

i have one up for sle with ECU , wiring all :D

Comment

Okay guys, I got the car back from the shop, the guy said it just needed a reprogram and bleeding. It worked great yesterday, got in the car this morning, wouldn't start or go in gear, same problem. I'm really getting anxious with this SMG system now. By the way, there is a new battery in the car, installed a few days before I bought the car. The car has 158,000 KMs on it and I don't think this is the car u guys are talking about.....
                        The Repair shop guy said the pump was fine and that the relay was fine as well. He charged me 300 bucks to do the reprogramming and bleeding. Is that good? If its happening again I guess not, right?
                        sigpic
                        2003 BMW E46 M3

Comment

Hi Dr. Shak, I think I'll bring it to u if this guy can't fix it, I should've done it before but I live right by this garage so convenienvce was an issue.
                          sigpic
                          2003 BMW E46 M3

Comment

What does this salmon Relay look like anyway? Can I get it anywhere, like any BMW parts, maybe City Anchor perhaps?
                            Last edited by syd9d; 03-04-2010, 12:04 PM.
                            sigpic
                            2003 BMW E46 M3

Comment

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/kitaho2/bmw-m...unit-relay.pdf

search a bit

Comment

Working...
                              X