Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World's most expensive car key

World's most expensive car key

Is this watch the world's most lavish and expensive car key? Buyers of the new Aston Martin Rapide can specify the Jaeger LeCoultre Rapide Transponder as a £22,000 option.

Owners can use the amazing timepiece to lock and unlock the five-door supercar by simply touching its face.

If it seems expensive, that's because an incredible amount of work went into squeezing the 'plipper' into the watch.

Firstly, Jaeger's engineers had to reduce the size of the transponder that sends the locking signal to the car so it would fit. Then, they spent 18 months working out how to install the watch's mechanical internals while ensuring its timekeeping isn't affected by the transponder's electrical field.

As if owning a Rapide isn't impressive enough, the James Bond-like ability to lock it by pressing your watch face is quite a trick. There are two 'zones' on the sapphire crystal face, one to open the car between 8 and 9 o'clock, and the 'close' section between three and four. There are no buttons required, as the face is a touch-sensitive.

The watch is the latest item on an increasingly lavish Aston options list. The Aston Cygnet (a thoroughly re-upholstered and modified Toyota iQ) will offer wealthy owners the chance to leave their 'proper' Aston behind and take a super-exclusive city car to work instead.

Link: http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/19022010/36...car-key-0.html

Lollll thats ridiculas! hahaha! I know it should be fun, but the price for such an option! damn! also i dont like such touch screen ability, cause i can imagine having the car parked in front of a restaurant, u are having lunch, and u accidently touch the watch! There u go, ur car is unlocked!
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Originally posted by LSB_M3 View Post
      Lollll thats ridiculas! hahaha! I know it should be fun, but the price for such an option! damn! also i dont like such touch screen ability, cause i can imagine having the car parked in front of a restaurant, u are having lunch, and u accidently touch the watch! There u go, ur car is unlocked!
      Yes you are right but the doors will automatically look within 5 seconds if you dont press the door handle!

Comment

Nice gadget, but since they spent all this time and effort on having the idea working, I wish they added the keyless feature similar to "comfort access" in BMWs, just touch the door handle and the car unlocks. Why should i touch my watch every time I get in, I'm on the phone for example, holding a briefcase, etc etc.

just my opinion :dunno:

'07 650i Stratus Grey/Cream beige

Comment

^ True!

And one more note, I'm assuming people who buy this car and add this option own more than one watch! lollll that will force them to wear one watch only! :) u get my point! i'm a watch collector myself, and I cant imagine wearing one watch all the time! lolll just thinking out loud! :)
          sigpic
          Audi R8 - White / Blk
          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

The 7 series has a better and smarter option than this ridiculously over priced watch.. Once the key is in YOUR pocket, you dont have to touch anything to get in, simply open the door and there you go.. Its smart cuz if theres anyone standing right beside you, he/she cant open the door, only YOU can cuz you got they key with you.. Whereas locking, one touch on the door handle and it gets locked.. Smart !

Comment

Yeah i saw that! similar to the merc, to get in u pull the door handle and it detects the key within a short range, closing is a small button on the door handle....So convenient!
              I wish there was a way to custom do that to the M3! :) :) :)
              sigpic
              Audi R8 - White / Blk
              Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Originally posted by LSB_M3 View Post
                ^ True!

And one more note, I'm assuming people who buy this car and add this option own more than one watch! lollll that will force them to wear one watch only! :) u get my point! i'm a watch collector myself, and I cant imagine wearing one watch all the time! lolll just thinking out loud! :)
                agree to more than one watch, but they should also have more than one car :P so different watch for each car :rofl2:

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                The 7 series has a better and smarter option than this ridiculously over priced watch.. Once the key is in YOUR pocket, you dont have to touch anything to get in, simply open the door and there you go.. Its smart cuz if theres anyone standing right beside you, he/she cant open the door, only YOU can cuz you got they key with you.. Whereas locking, one touch on the door handle and it gets locked.. Smart !
                i think jaguar got this option before the F01 7-series.. my bro had it on his XF since over a year, very convenient

BMW history:
                07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

i c it as another way to throw money into garbage
                  A CA type o key would have been much better than a james bond style watch
                  sigpic

Comment

guys... no matter what we personally think about this particular item, I guarantee u people will be lining up at Aston just to get these... I like th idea, just think the 22k can be better spent elsewhere...

Shak as always thank you for the info!
                    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X