Go get yourself a Fire Extinguisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go get yourself a Fire Extinguisher

A year ago, one of my exhaust holders (the ones exactly behind the Cats) broke & left the exhaust to shake & drone in the cabinet. Shak offered me a cheap good solution not to bother searching for the whole part which needs to be ordered & bla bla bla. We put an unused hose pipe between the exhaust & the plate holding the exhaust, it worked perfectly.

Today, I went to this garage that I know to get my tires balanced & I remember hearing knocking sound from the exhaust few days ago, & even Moe told me that my exhaust was shaking on little bumps. I took a peak under my car to find that the old rubber (hose pipe) was burnt dead cuz of the heat, so I asked the mechanic to fit an unused rubber instead of that one. Few minutes later, he told me the car is done. So I took the car & was driving normally all the way. What I didn't know is that he put a weak type of rubber that doesn't resist heat. I started smelling this weird smell, as if something was being burnt. I thought it was only bcuz the rubber was new & the exhaust was so hot so it was only burning the outside surface.

What happened next is that, when we (Moe & I) were driving down Al-Khail road, he started flashing me & then came next to me to tell me that my car was on fire. I hurried & parked at the yellow lane switching off every single thing in the car. Now being smart & knowing what I have, I took my fire extinguisher so I can put off the little fire that was exactly at the place of the rubber BUT IT NEVER WORKED... I wasn't scared of the fire cuz it was local & I knew I had everything under control until I found out that my fire extinguisher wasn't working. I freaked out then, fearing that the fire will spread all around. I called 997 & explained the situation for them, they assured me that their unit will be in my place in no time. Honestly, I didn't want to risk it, 4 minutes passed already & I did nothing to put off the fire. I finally then, stopped a fuel tanker & asked them if they had an extinguisher, & thankfully they did. The two men, put off the fire & Dexy was safe.

I went to a near by gas station to remove what was left from the burnt rubber. Thankfully, nothing from the metal plates or exhaust panel got burnt, only the rubber it self got burnt.

Those few minutes that I spent between hurrying to stop my car & finding a way to put the fire off weren't really very nice. Knowing that there was a possibility of either hurting my self or losing the car was scary !

If only my fire extinguisher worked well, I wouldn't have reached this limit.

Therefore, my friends I advice you all to re-check your fire extinguisher if you got one & buy one if having got any.

I thank god for this day & thank Moe who helped stayed with me all the time & helped me later to remove the little pieces that were left from the burnt rubber.
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

wow man that must've been scary!

thank God nothing happened & "el7amdillah 3al salemeh"!

BMW history:
    07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

I'm going to be f*cking blunt here:

Who puts rubber around a scorching hot, 8000RPM-engine exhaust pipe??!! What you should be thankful for is that the fire did not reach the fuel lines right next to your exhaust. That, Rifo, was your risk buddy!

Man.....Glad you:

a) Had somebody behind you to spot it.
      b) Alive as a consequence.

No more shortcuts you ape!

Comment

"El 7amdela 3al Salama" If i Were u id Go Back to that Guy
        Who installed Those Rubbers And Rub his Face :duel:
        Cause you almost Lost your Car Thank god not Your life by his Stupidity ...

And Expected From Moe .. Allah ye7meek as well..
        sigpic

E92 335i 09 - Current
        E36 320i | Mods: Rieger kit, Matt Black Grills, BBS Rims, ACS Spoiler, Xenon HID, K&N Intake, Fox Exhaust system, MoMo Steering wheel , LED Angel Eyes - Current
        E30 M-Tech 325i - Sold
        E23 735i - Sold

Comment

holy crap that's a scary thought!!! wow... that was close!

Thank God nothing happened to you or Dexy!
          sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

thank god nothin happened other than this, watch out bro, no shortcuts :slap:

Comment

Damn !! Thank God the fire wasnt very big and situation was under your control, fire extinguishers are a must in all our cars, over here the authorities should issue a law of safety to use them in every car..

Thanks for the advise RiFo and thanks to Moe for always being there when we need him ! Be careful next time..

Comment

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.247 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/179)

There are 2 ways of thinking of this:

1) You are kanjoos and need to know that sometimes u shouldn't cheap out things like that. And make sure u get a workin fire est. next time..

2) U should've taken ur time and cleared all ur belongings from the car and let the flames do their magic and claim the insurance money.

But then thank god you're ok
                Last edited by Bruno; 17-01-2010, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Rifo, glad to know you are ok bro....alhumdulillah!

but as the guys said....better to be safe than sorry.... lets keep the use of "rubbers" in the bedroom :P
                  Current
                  E92 M3 - Mineral White
                  F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                  E36 318is
                  E39 540i ///M sport
                  VW CC
                  E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Thank God you are alright... never skimp out on your life, remember it is just a car... and always make sure your extinguisher is working and still valid (not expired)
                    ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

thank allah that you are fine and nothing happen to you, as all of guys said dont cheap things ya man! pay little more and spend more time for your own safety, and salamat bro.

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                      E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

See, money wasn't an issue. They don't manufacture the holder unless you order it, & this will take A LOT of time. I've been using the old Rubbers for a year now & nothing happened. but oh well, things go wrong sometimes.

I'm going to *** to see what we can do about the holder today.
                        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
                        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
                        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
                        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
                        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
                        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
                        eMail:
                        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

You can get the exhaust holder for as cheap as Dhs 20 at any exhaust shop, i got two holders for a friend's X5 while installing an aftermarket exhaust..

Comment

Originally posted by RiFo View Post
                            See, money wasn't an issue. They don't manufacture the holder unless you order it, & this will take A LOT of time. I've been using the old Rubbers for a year now & nothing happened. but oh well, things go wrong sometimes.

I'm going to *** to see what we can do about the holder today.
                            good luck man and take care

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                            E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

Damn my man! that was surely close!

Thank your stars rico that it turned out fine!

Moe couldve just been a ba$tard & driven off waving at you! :P

You're lucky!
                              2008 325i coupe
                              Stock

Comment

Working...
                              X