Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Conditioning

:cursing:Hey guys, long time no speak!

I hope all is well with everyone, that you're all keeping safe on the roads and that your Bimmers continue to bring you as much enjoyment as mine does to me.

Anyway, i wonder if anyone can help with a question about air conditioning? Basically, mine is knackered, or so i think. I'm no expert on these things, so let me explain what's happening. Basically, my unit no longer delivers cold air...or even cool air, for that matter. On the coldest setting, it's now warm air. However, the AC does seem to still (to some extent) be taking the humidity out of the air because you don't get that damp smell...but you do get mighty sweaty if you drive for more than about 5 minutes!

So, i understand that the AC unit has consumable parts and that this is probably quite normal, so hwta i need to know is where i can get it fixed? I want it done cheaply, but properly, somewhere very near to Dubai Marina? Any thoughts...is there somewhere on Beach Road, or near Ibn Battuta mall...or do i need to head to Al Quoz?

Can this be done while i wait or will i need to leave it there? And how much might i have to pay (obviouls that's a difficult because we don't know what exactly what's wrong with it).

Cheers all, as always your help is much appreciated.

Phil

PS - my rear diff problem seems to have miraculously gone away...i took the car back off X Service, ran it for a week, then went away and left the car and when i got back the awful grinding noise was gone, even on full lock at low speeds.

Not had a problem with the car for months, excpet some jerk has made a 12 inch long, deep scratch in the door while i was parked in my car-park :cursing::cursing:
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

I'm no expert on this subject but have you checked the gas level of the AC?! that is a consumable and needs to be topped up every once in a while... I'll leave it to the experts here :)
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ahmad.alkhalil View Post
      I'm no expert on this subject but have you checked the gas level of the AC?! that is a consumable and needs to be topped up every once in a while... I'll leave it to the experts here :)
      Thanks man...is that something i can do by myself...or do i need to take it somewhere to get that looked at?
      theeldestboy

Comment

I'm pretty sure some stations have these canisters full of the gas... mmmmm, let me check and I'll get back to you
        sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Thinking it's your Freon (R-134) level. My guess you haven't topped it since you bought the car.

Comment

I had the same problem with my car, only warm air coming out of the vents, tried to check and filled the gas, it was good for two days and warm air again started coming.. In the end compressor was the culprit, had to pay Dhs 4000 at the dealer to get a new one installed.

My suggestion, check the gas first, your nearest friend is X Service in Al Quoz..

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
              Thinking it's your Freon (R-134) level. My guess you haven't topped it since you bought the car.
              As always, sir, you are correct! Unless i get a big, obvious warning light in the middle of my dashboard, i have no idea what's going on in my car!
              theeldestboy

Comment

Hey guys, pulled this up from the depths of the forum...
                Couldn't find any other thread dedicated to AC problems, so here's mine:

Had the AC fixed up from AMPEX, a while back where I had the compressor + all the 3 AC pipes under the hood changed. Now its hot air again. Took it down to a small AC shop and asked them to check for leaks, with their pressure gauge, and it did not decrease for all the time i left the car there, (4 hours).

What the guy told me was that, something in/around/outside/inside the car/engine over-heats, hence the rapid depletion of the gas.

Any ideas, coz' I'm clueless.....and so is he.. :)
                sigpic

Comment

A pull from another thread

Originally posted by shak "X" View Post
                  Air-conditioning Basics

An AC system is basically a refrigerator without the insulated box. It uses the evaporation of a refrigerant, like Freon, to provide cooling. The mechanics of the Freon evaporation cycle are the same in a refrigerator as in an air conditioner,the term Freon is generically "used for any of various nonflammable fluorocarbons used as refrigerants and as propellants for aerosols."

This is how the evaporation cycle in an AC system works!

The compressor compresses cool Freon gas, causing it to become hot, high-pressure Freon gas.
                  This hot gas runs through a set of coils so it can dissipate its heat, and it condenses into a liquid.
                  The Freon liquid runs through an expansion valve, and in the process it evaporates to become cold, low-pressure Freon gas.
                  This cold gas runs through a set of coils that allow the gas to absorb heat and cool down the air inside the car.
                  Mixed in with the Freon is a small amount of lightweight oil. This oil lubricates the compressor.

Air conditioners help clean your vehicles air as well. All AC units have filters that catch dust, pollen, mold spores and other allergens as well as smoke and everyday dirt found in the air. Most air conditioners also function as dehumidifiers. They take excess water from the air and use it to help cool the unit before getting rid of the water through a hose to the outside.Some systems use the condensed moisture to improve efficiency by routing the cooled water back into the system to be reused.

So this is the general concept involved in air conditioning.
                  sigpic

Comment

Send a pm to Shak or meet him at the X Service, he'll take care of you ;)

Comment

if the compressor is used...its better to change it...and as SSense said...PM member shak and good luck

E60 M5: LCI OEM Tail Light, CF Front/Side Grill, Bright White Angel eyes"
                      E46-Sold: OEM MtechII, Eisenmann exhaust (2x83mm), Bilstein sport shocks, H&R sprot springs, 18” OEM rims (F:225, R:255), M3 auto folding/heated mirrors, clear (LEDs tail lights/corners/sides), Orion V2 angel eyes, Xenoflo HID bulb (6000K) low beam, CF (interior/knob/steering wheel trim/doors handles/grille), Alcantara (gear boot/hand brake)

Comment

the compressor is relatively new, and the force of the air is quite strong...but hot.
                        Iv mailed shak! thanks guys! :)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lothario View Post
                          the compressor is relatively new, and the force of the air is quite strong...but hot.
                          Iv mailed shak! thanks guys! :)
                          Hi matey,
                          Drop me a call on **********
                          Shak

Comment

Working...
                          X