Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What BMW have to say on the subject of OIL!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What BMW have to say on the subject of OIL!

Found reading this very useful on another forum, thought id share this with you..

After countless oil threads, endless arguments, and much entertainment, I was still none the wiser about WHY, in March 2000, BMW changed their S62 oil recommendation from 10W60 TWS / Edge to the 5W30 that they recommend for all their other models.

Bored of this endless cycle, and being the curious sort, I decided to call BMW and get an answer straight from the horses mouth. I explained the endless debate on the m5board, and the guy I dealt with got quite interested himself, as he is a huge E39 M5 fan. Over the last couple of weeks, on our behalf, he has contacted Customer Services in Germany, the engineering dept at Bracknell (BMW UK HQ) and he even ended up talking to the design team in Munich. Quite a few calls went back and forth between us. In the end we pieced together what we could from all the emails and conversations he had, and came to a very simple conclusion.....

BMW engineers were adamant that the S62 was developed along side TWS and no other oil should be used. (year was not an issue as far as they were concerned - it is 10W60 or nothing, whether it is pre, or post March 2000.

However, as is far too often the case these days, the BMW marketing team had different ideas to their engineers. The problem was, that back in '98 & '99, there were a growing number of complaints from customers, who were finding they needed to top up the oil rather more often than they had expected. This in itself was not a huge issue - the problem was that they could not just grab a bottle of oil when they filled up with fuel. They had to keep making special trips to the dealer, and this may be many miles away. This was bothering people a lot.

BMW did 2 things in response to these complaints:

The engineers tried changing the piston rings. BMW will not provide any documentation regarding the ring change or why it was done - this is just from conversation. Assuming it was an attempt to reduce oil consumption, then from what I can gather from the board, they only had limited success.

The marketing team however, ignored the engineers and simply changed the oil recommendation to match the rest of their products. This meant you could now pick up a bottle of oil at the motorway service station and feel good that you were using the "recommended oil" and you hadn't had to stockpile it at home, or go out of your way to a dealer on your way to the in-laws for thew weekend.

We could not extract anything in writing from ANYONE at BMW in the UK or in Germany regarding the reasons why all this had happened. People at BMW were even quite reluctant to talk about it to the customer service guy, and were keen to know why he was digging all this up. All I did manage to get in writing was this -
    Dear Mr MacDonald

Thank you for contacting BMW Customer Information.

I have contacted BMW Munich on your behalf and they confirmed to me that Castrol developed this special oil with BMW "M" specifically for these engines. The running characteristics and performance are reliant on this oil being used.
    Normally engine changes (piston rings) denote new engine model numbers, however this has not happened in this case. Therefore the recommendation would be to continue to use the TWS oil only as instructed. BMW UK also confirmed to me that in March 2000, more oils were tested for the vehicle but they did not have any information on piston rings affecting the oil type required.

I am sorry that I have been unable to find any further information on the subject and thank you for your patience whilst I researched this matter on your behalf. Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
    Alex Amos
    Customer Information Advisor
    Ellesfield Avenue
    Bracknell RG12 8TA

Source: M5BOARD
    Last edited by SSense; 29-08-2009, 06:14 PM.

So, the war is over. TWS for good ?
    sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
    Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
    LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
    P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
    Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Everything thats mentioned is in the favour of TWS, this will be an end to all the threads that talk about TWS and Edge/Edge Sport !

Comment

But still, AGMC is using Castrol Edge Sport for M engines .. even *** !! I have notified *** to change get TWS for M engine & I believe they should have it by now !
        Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
        Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
        Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
        Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
        1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
        Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
        eMail:
        Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

out of my experience, i am using edge sport and my car has 150K and touch wood the engine is running smoothly even though i am a hard driver. the oil consumption is 1L every 5000km.

Comment

^ stop using it !
            Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
            Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
            Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
            Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
            1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
            Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
            eMail:
            Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Its very clear that TWS is the recommended over Edge/Edge Sport, I wouldnt ever use the Edge Sport when there is a wide availablity of TWS everywhere..

Comment

:iagree: a couple of extra DHS won't harm u but it MIGHT harm ur beast (engine)

Comment

TWS or Edge for me. Not Egde sport.

Or we can all stop being so anal and just use any synthetic oil with the right grade. It's oil after all, do you really think it will make a difference?
                  That said, I we still only use those two, :rofl:
                  Last edited by alquazi; 30-08-2009, 07:52 AM.
                  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
                  Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                  Schrick cams
                  Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
                  Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
                  KW Coilovers V3
                  WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

+100000000000000
                    an oil is an oil, there is no secret recipe, if u choose the right grade your car will perform properly, this is per SAE standards it is not rocket science or something like "my M uses only castrol oil" your M uses a certain grade and any oil with the same grade will do the job, but maybe the castrol is recommended by BMW because it was actually tested, this is IMHO
                    I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

The dealership in Saudi Arabia only sells Edge sport! I used to use TWS in the US and after switching to Edge Sport, I noticed that oil temperature is higher than what it used to be when driving aggressively and around the track!
                      '13 F10 ///M5 6MT Alpine White
                      '06 E63 ///M6 SMG Silverstone
                      '95 E36 2JZ Swap Gray - Drift
                      '92 E36 325i Black
                      History:
                      '08 E92 ///M3 6MT Silverstone
                      '06 E60 ///M5 SMG Alpine White
                      '02 E46 ///M3 6MT TiAg
                      '98 E36 ///M3 Estoril Blue

Comment

Originally posted by mahmoud_bedewi View Post
                        but maybe the castrol is recommended by BMW because it was actually tested, this is IMHO
                        If TWS was any normal synthetic oil then they wouldnt mention on their packing, 'Specially recommended for M Engines, M3, M5, M6 etc...' Im sure it was tested by experts and since it stands out than the other synthetic oils, IT IS the recommended one..

Comment

recomendation is there and people have tried it and experienced it and are advising us, as i said before couple of DHS won't make u rich, its ur choice at the end ;)

Comment

Originally posted by akanso View Post
                            recomendation is there and people have tried it and experienced it and are advising us, as i said before couple of DHS won't make u rich, its ur choice at the end ;)
                            +1 :iagree:
                            Last edited by SSense; 30-08-2009, 10:18 AM.

Comment

it looks like arguments started again lol :)

Comment

Working...
                              X