Vanos sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vanos sound

Hey guys, I have this really annoying "krrrrrrr" sound coming from the engine when I start the car, and when i press the throttle. I was told that it's the Vanos. I looked at this thread http://www.bmwclubuae.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1687
    and they talked about Drvanos. I checked out the website and they also have the option of buying the kit. Do you guys think it would be better if I shipped the Vanos over to the states, or bought the kit and got it fixed here? Also, I'm not really sure if it IS even the Vanos. The sound doesnt really continue, after the initial sounding. But whenever i press the throttle i hear it and it's really annoying.

One more question, for you manual drivers, do you sometimes have a problem shifting into a specific gear, or have the gear pop out at times? It doesn't happen to me much but it does sometimes. Also sometimes I don't press the clutch hard enough and I hear this bone crunching grinding sound that absolutely makes me cringe as i feel that the gear teeth are breaking! It's happened to me a few times while I'm rushing during gear change. Does this damage the gear teeth over time?

Thanks guys.

Well regarding the sound you have when u first start ur car it is your Vanos unit (like marbles in a can right???) and that is cause by a faulty valve in the unit that should hold a certain amount of oil in the unit in order to insure maximum lubrication when start the car (since no enough oil in the head if the car was not started for 2+ hours). This is a very normal problem and I'd say that u shouldnt freak out since most of E39 M5s has that problem...

You could send your unit to Dr.Vanos but ur car wont be running for quite some time until ur unit arrives.... my advise to you if ur gonna fix it, buy a unit from them and then after installing it ship your vanos back to them as per their policy ull get ur worth of money back.

Gear shifts is also a very well known problem.... M5s had this problem for quite some time, but an oil change would sove that :)...but for the gear coming out that means that your sift GATES are worn out and needs to be replaced.

Yes that noise would indecate that with such shifting habit ull destroy ur gear in no time.....you might also need to check ur clutch/slave cylinder/master cylinder. As depressing the clutch all the way in is necessery for a smooth gear change, but that some times indecate a worn out slave/master cylinders....
    sigpic
    iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
    Falcons Garage
    Carbotech

Comment

i have a small opinion
      jumping OUT of gear can be due a simpler thing ........detent balls
      if u have worn detent balls your gearbox will jump out of gear
      I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

Originally posted by mahmoud_bedewi View Post
        i have a small opinion
        jumping OUT of gear can be due a simpler thing ........detent balls
        if u have worn detent balls your gearbox will jump out of gear
        yop those serve as gates that will prevent the gears from poping out of place :D
        sigpic
        iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
        Falcons Garage
        Carbotech

Comment

u mean detent balls = gates?
          if so then we are talking about the same thing
          i just didn't know the name "gates"
          I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

wat bout synchros? they cud be damaged too.... a reason why they would pop out of gear
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

syncros or shifter fork

Comment

The gear problems haven't happened for a while, but I'll just pay close attention and if it happens again i'll get it checked. Cool thanks alot for the info guys. :D

Comment

Try to avoid hard quick shifts when the car is cold. Because it takes alot longer for the gearbox to reach optimum temperature.
                  Both ways, you need to have something checked because it's not easy to find a clean E39M5 gearbox these days.
                  sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                  Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                  LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                  P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                  Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

^ i have

Comment

Yes, Bruno has a whole E39 M5 in his scrap, you can get anything you want from him..

Comment

Oh brilliant! I guess I'll be paying you a visit then! Is that the falcon garage, in Al-Rashidiya?

Comment

Originally posted by Ahmedg View Post
                          Oh brilliant! I guess I'll be paying you a visit then! Is that the falcon garage, in Al-Rashidiya?
                          Yes ! You can pm member 'Bruno' for more details..

Comment

Working...
                          X