X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering box

Hello,
    I have to change the Steering Box in my car Z4 2003 2.5i :cry:
    The guy in the garage said I can get a used steering box. Any suggestions.

btw what could damge the steering box
    Thanks

hey amr, can u please introduce urself in the new members area, adnd im sure u will get the help u need from the club members. good luck

Comment

done :)

Comment

What are the syndromes? Is it only a "play" in the steering?! And what's the mileage on your car?

Comment

its 130,000 km now I’ve done the majour service replacing the bushings ( powerflix) gear mounting, engine mounting, belts….

, syndromes are
          - hard sound on pumps.
          - noise while turning right or left in slow speed(while parking or driving in slow speed)
          - steering is a bit loose and shaky while driving.

I checked it in Jano and he told me the steering box should be changed to avoid the noise but rather than the noise there should be no danger while driving.. ( don't know if its true)

the option of replacing it with used part also exists but I’m not sure ( might it ruin again) and warranty for 3 months for the part...

don't know it’s confusing :S

Comment

Dude your power steering pump is DONE!! Replace that and you should be set...

Regarding the vibration, have you changed your brakes recently? Are your tires old? Have you aligned them? Did you change your tie rods?

Comment

i think it is tie rods
              because if we suppose u drive the car hard the tie rods r stressed but the steering box has nothing to stress it is just rack and pinion gears which r so robust
              I am the Japanese spy in the BMW club :joking: :D

Comment

It's probably ur steering column, I have the same issue in my car, noisy on rough or bouncy roads but has no leaks, i changed the tie rods cause there was a play in the wheel and i thought that would fix it, but it turned out to be the steering column,I wont change it until it's leaking, I'll end up putting the csl column. Get your ball joints and tie rods checked out, thats ur cheapest option for now...Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by samer110 View Post
                  It's probably ur steering column, I have the same issue in my car, noisy on rough or bouncy roads but has no leaks, i changed the tie rods cause there was a play in the wheel and i thought that would fix it, but it turned out to be the steering column,I wont change it until it's leaking, I'll end up putting the csl column. Get your ball joints and tie rods checked out, thats ur cheapest option for now...Good luck
                  Samer, steering column or rack ? Because a steering column is just a long shaft that is turned by hand via the wheel. No fluids there. And is what connects to the rack.
                  sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                  Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                  LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                  P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                  Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

I'm also assuming it's a typo....

Changing to the CSL rack on a non-CSL M3 will throw off your DSC and could put you in danger.

Comment

Ur steering pump is shot. Expect to pay 450 for a used one.

Prepare to buy a new set of lower arms and tower mounts as they will also blow after a while if they haven't already. Sorry I don't mean to be harsh but I've been down this road with my 330.

Or revert back to your stock wheels and sell these m3 wheels and lower your rear end which is putting stress on the car's front suspension. Trust me I know what I'm saying, I've said that to lotfi and I know that u love the rims. But sometimes u must let go.

Comment

I meant the hydro steering gear, that's what its called on realoem. I've read that many guys have changed the hydro steering gear from a normal M3 to csl without any issues, it is a mechanical part, its the part were the tie rods connect to.

Comment

The CSL rack has a different ratio than the normal M3 rack, and since the DSC takes one of its inputs from the steering position sensor, changing the rack ratio without changing the DSC programing is NOT a good thing.

BMW sells them with a very strong disclaimer in case they'd be installed on a non-CSL M3!

To the OP, dude, you can't fix something inherently wrong! Your setup will keep eating your car away....

Comment

guys really thanks for your replies ... really appreciating all of them..
                            i changed the brakes and done resurfacing for the pads.. and alignment also is done... but i didn't change the tie rods as its wasn't damaged...

the steering pump as the mechanic was saying should be 2500 Dhs (used)
                            steering column 1000 Dhs..

Bruno my friend :) u still remember the rims :)
                            yes i love it like this, maybe its the reason i still have the car till now...

but let me ask something here ..

I’ve checked the Z4 3.0 & M and it comes with 19 inch rims .. and also checked online about the possibility of installing the 19 inch in my car before doing it and it was ok... but do you say it’s the reason the steering is ruined !!!! or is it the heat cause i heard it might be the reason for that ?

sorry i didn't get u in that part of changing the hydro steering gear from M3 to CSL ... what is CSL!!

Thanks guys agian :)

Comment

Can you post a pic of your car?!

CSL is the special version of the E46 M3..

Comment

Working...
                              X