Rear Differential

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Differential

Hey guys, i wonder if someone can help me out...i got a load of problems with the car and i need some ideas urgently!

I have already paid 5,000aed for AGMC to service the car. I am about to pay 7,000aed to X Service for repairs they have carried out aginst the defects identified at the service. Though i am not thrilled about the 12,000aed price tag for this work, it's not the end of the world.

However, X service have been working to identify the source of a gringing noise coming from the rear of my car upon turning. After much investigation, they have said that the rear diff needs replacing, at a cost of 15,700aed.

I know X Service aren't ripping me off, but i need to investigate all avenues before i commit to that cost. So, does any know where i can source a new or used rear differential for my 2004 E46 M3? Are there any local or international suppliers, spare parts dealers or breakers yards that might have one going cheap?

There are some listed on ebay in the UK, but i'm not sure what i'm looking for. They are certainly cheaper than the prices here, but am i getting the right thing? Does it make a difference for left/righ hand drive cars or is the diff universal? Are the below parts suitable? Any help VERY much appreciated.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

Phil
    theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
    Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
    Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
    Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Phil... after reading your about your problem it reminds me exactly of the same problem i had with my E39 M5.. The grinding noise used to occur only on turns, therefore i took the car to the dealer and without asking them to diagnose what the fault is I asked them to change my differential oil.. Once that was done, the noise disappeared after around 2 days of driving.
    This grinding noise occurs when there is no differential oil and its dry..

Good Luck !

Comment

have you changed the diff oil?

Comment

it's 99% the diff oil, had the same problem with my Z4M the minute i drove out from the showroom, and then AGMC replaced it under warranty..

that's not the first time X-Service ask to replace the diff (happened with another member here) but go to them & tell them you want to change the oil first.. if it doesn't work then u got no other choice

BMW history:
        07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Same problem here too 3 months ago: I changed my differential bushings and filled up the diff housing with oil.

Do you have any shaking when applying the throttle suddenly? Do you hear any violent banging noise from the rear when shifting gears?

Comment

SAF-XJ + FM Booster, bmw part number - 83222282583

that the oil u r looking for. Available in AGMC.
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Ayham, the shaking when applying the throttle and the banging noise during shifting are all causes of the Diff bushings right?

I remember this had happend to the club car after HPDS ;)
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                SAF-XJ + FM Booster, bmw part number - 83222282583

that the oil u r looking for. Available in AGMC.
                They dont sell the oil in quarts, you have to get it changed with them..

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                  Ayham, the shaking when applying the throttle and the banging noise during shifting are all causes of the Diff bushings right?

I remember this had happend to the club car after HPDS ;)
                  Yup...The diff was broken after HPDS R1 along with its housing bushings.

Comment

Originally posted by SSense View Post
                    They dont sell the oil in quarts, you have to get it changed with them..
                    nope ...they do sell them in quarts...i bought them myself.... :)
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

There you go, it's just a matter of oils so far. Change them and check.
                      Keep this as a rule of thumb, make sure youve done ALL the servicing and consumable replacements BEFORE you jump into replacing major parts. It'll save you alot !
                      sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                      Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                      LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                      P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                      Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Thanks so much for your responses guys, i knew this was the place to come for great advice.

I know that X have done some checks and tests but as i am not technically minded i can't say whether or not they have tried the measure you suggest below. Maybe Shaq X could offer some advice if he reads this thread?

I have spoken to some parts suppliers in Sharjah an i have a potential lead on a used differntial, which if it's suitable and working i will investigate further. I'm guessing that a substantial part of the 16,000 cost is the part itself, which i assume is purchased from AGMC, so if i can get a used part the price should come down substantially. I need to confirm with X exactly what (if the other measures do not solve the problem) parts need replacing and take that information to suppliers to get prices.

X said that diff failure is common on M3's, but is it that simple? I know it's guess work, but what might have happened to cause such a massive failure to such an expensive part? Why are car companies not addressing what are considered to be "known weaknesses" or "design faults" on their vehicles?

Thanks again guys, you're the best :bow:
                        theeldestboy

Silver 2005 E46 M3 Convertible
                        Alpine White 2004 E46 M3 Coupe
                        Topaz Blue 2002 M-Spec 330ci Sport Convertible
                        Blue 1998 318ti M-Spec Compact Sport

Comment

BMW diffs are the closest thing to sheer rocks!!! I've tracked and raced my M3 and the previous owner did worse things to it and the diff is as good as new. BMW KNOWS LSD! Period.

In short, I have come across an example or two regarding damaged LSD units on BMWs. With stock power figures, they're way over designed!

If you want, I can take a spin in your car tonight and compare if it's displaying the typical syndromes or not....

Comment

I would check with central parts for the price of a new one. Know that will help you in case you need to buy/find a used one.
                            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
                            Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                            Schrick cams
                            Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
                            Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
                            KW Coilovers V3
                            WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

Most people know of engine and gearbox oil, some are lucky enough to know theres power steering fluid. The pro's know of such things as brake oil and differential oil !

Some cars come out of the factory and get used for years and years without having their differntial cover unbolted once! That is a fact.

BMW differentials, especially M LSD's are the best around. Some LSD have been around for 20 years and are still running strong !

Main point is, most owners do not replace the differential oil at all. Imagine your diff's been running on the same stuff since 2004 ? In this heat!!
                              That is most probably your case.

Preventative maintanence is better than repairs, you can bet on that !
                              sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                              Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                              LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                              P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                              Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Working...
                              X