E92 M3: My test drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E92 M3: My test drive

I know I have said "bad" things about the new E92 M3 before this, but want to set the record straight: they were all concerning the new looks. I've never doubted the numbers and performance figures as I profoundly believe in anything with an ///M badge...But nothing could've prepared me for my test of it today, and in none other but our member Abbood's GORGEOUS Alpine White E92 M3.

We were part of the Abu Dhabi Perfromance Cars Club, www.adpcc.com, Race Academy round 2 today held at the Jebel Ali Karting Circuit (it's very soothing to know that more educated diehards are organizing such courses), and both our M3s were part of the grid. Abbood's was nothing short of menacing, and with the sound to back it up. After being offered to drive my, up until then, biggest disappointment of last year by Abbood, I took it out for a spin outside the track to see how it goes and stops. My God, does it do both while leaving your eyes twitching in disbelief! I've driven all sorts of modified and stock performance cars over the years and hence raised the bar mentally before jumpipng in factoring all the reviews and figures I've come across until that moment. But, it's been my biggest surprize EVER. When you'd think that the E46 M3 was as good as it could possibly get and then be offered a limitless test of the new incarnation (Abbood did insist that we bring out the best in it however I deemed "appropriate" :D) then it just adds up to me awe factor.

This one is equipped with the optional DCT, and while not my ideal platform for practicing my vice (errrm, racing), it did shake my world as to how fast and at-your-command it was. No more "occasional" auto-blip when downshifting to start with; it does it throughout all the gears at any speed and any RPM! Fine by me :D Jumping from an SMGII/SMGIII and being impressed by how quick they are, it certainly showed me that M GMBH still has a lot more to offer...Would this ever end?!

Offcourse, it goes without mentioning how nuclear the engine is!!! Ferrari V8s have a serious competetion! And spare me the "they're still Italians" speech; engineering-to-passion ratio is equal between the two!! Period! I've never experienced such a power curve in an NA engine except in the Ferrari F430. Power seems to be coming straight from the sun core!

Brakes - now these are just :drool: :drool: :drool: All throughout the drive I was thinking whether or not it'd be justifiable to upgrade to some Carbotech goodness!! Yes, THAT good! (Sorry Abbood for not warning you I was going to hit the brakes!!)

Back to the track now, and all the masterpieces fell into one!! That thing GOES, STOPS, STEERS, and HANDLES in uncomprehendable ways given how "heavy" they've got. But I seriosuly dunno how to explain it. Yes probably quicker steering ratio, revised suspsension geometry, redesigned suspension values, etc etc...But just how much work was done there! It was the single car that got EVERYBODY to stop chatting and follow its lap to see what time it'd score. (I'd rather not give out its time for it's a relative matter, but trust me it was GOOD! ;))

The video below is NOT the hot lap I did in it, this was for video shooting purposes and hence at a moderate speed. But you can have a very good idea of how well this car drives from it.

[youtube]5e2k-BvcYgI[/youtube]

Thank you Abbood for the great opportunity :)

Ayham,, great post,, it was nice meeting you again,,, happy to make ur day :)

2008 BMW M3 / White
    2006 Range Rover Sport / Black (sold)
    2004 VW Touareg / Silver (sold)
    2001 Audi A8 / Silver (sold)
    1999 Opel Omega / Silver (sold)
    1998 Lumina LTZ / Maroon (sold)
    1994 Opel Vectra / white (sold)

Comment

Glad to hear that, and sorry I missed it. I totaly forgot about this session, too many thing on my mind. But what else did you expect from M division.
      Last edited by alquazi; 28-03-2009, 12:46 PM.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
      Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
      Schrick cams
      Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
      Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
      KW Coilovers V3
      WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

Comment

why didn't anyone mention that there was such a thing going on in jabel ali?

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
          Not this thread's scope, but: You were in Lebanon for the whole week and had a wedding last night! Who/where/when could've let you know? ;)

Drool over the new M3 and hail the new king!

Comment

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
            +1

And good review
            ...petrolhead

2007 E60 M5 Black Sapphire|Indianapolis Red

Comment

Great review Ayham :clap: After looking at the video Im speechless :drool: seriously Abbood that is one great machine with all the goodies an M car should have, love the exhaust sound as well.. be careful and take care of it, Masha Allah !

Comment

Great Review Ayham.

i think i know in what state u wrote this review, and most probably you have a lot of things to say but dont know how. (well at least i would feel that way if i ever drove an M3) :p

Lucky you!
                Satisfaction can also be spelled: B.M.W

E90 320i - soon to retire
                19" Black CSL replicas staggured F:8.5", R:9.5" // continental sport contact2 F:235/35/19, R:255/35/19 // Blacklines taillights// Black OEM rear spoiler // Matt Black grill // Y-connector // 30% V-kool tint // H&R sport springs // H&R TRAK+ Wheels Spacers // Black roof+mirrors // De-badged

F30 335i - Current
                M-performance kit // M-performance steering wheel with race displays.

Comment

Ohhh, you still have no idea :)

Comment

excellent review bro.... thanks for that...and the video.... the ///M3 will never fail and disappoint ;)....
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I actually got into Abbood's car a couple of months ago when it was still stock and I can tell u that that thing can GO!!!! unbelievable.... mashallah!!

Abbood... I"m hopefully coming down to AUH sometime next week and will call you if I do. Would love to ride in that beast you got there!!!
                      sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

That's a great write up President and a great car to match !

And a :drool: video ...
                        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
                        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
                        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
                        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
                        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Originally posted by ahmad.alkhalil View Post
                          I actually got into Abbood's car a couple of months ago when it was still stock and I can tell u that that thing can GO!!!! unbelievable.... mashallah!!

Abbood... I"m hopefully coming down to AUH sometime next week and will call you if I do. Would love to ride in that beast you got there!!!

Sure just tell me when so I can switch off my mobile :lol:

2008 BMW M3 / White
                          2006 Range Rover Sport / Black (sold)
                          2004 VW Touareg / Silver (sold)
                          2001 Audi A8 / Silver (sold)
                          1999 Opel Omega / Silver (sold)
                          1998 Lumina LTZ / Maroon (sold)
                          1994 Opel Vectra / white (sold)

Comment

hehe... haik ya3ni!?! :)
                            sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

nice review & very sweet looking/sounding M3 abbood

BMW history:
                              07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

Working...
                              X