Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will this hurt my SMG gearbox ?

Hi,

I'm my building they re-assigned all parking spots, and the spot i got happens to be on a slope upwards! When i park, i lift the hand brake however it seems that my hand brake does nothing! the car rolls back! the only way to park is to put the SMG gear on 1st (just like in manual)!

Will this hurt my gear at all? I will park here everyday lol! :)

Thanks!
    sigpic
    Audi R8 - White / Blk
    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

It wont hurt the gear, to my knowledge at least, cause the car was designed to operate like a normal manual gear... in fact that's what you're expected to do!

Thing is we were discussing that it's actually not a good idea as if there was any problem with the battery or something of the sort the car would be stuck in gear and you wont be able to move the car... little chance of that happening but it still could...
    sigpic

Something EVIL is brewing... :///M:

Cry havoc... and let slip the dogs of WAR!!!

Comment

Fix your handbrake and avoide anything that could missup your SMG.... Technically speaking the SMG would be fine holding the car on 1st while turned off, but if any problem (god forbid) happened you wont be able to get the car out of the 1st gear. So I would suggest getting you E-brake adjusted.

Actually you could do that your self, remove the boot covering your E-brake handle and ull notice two nuts on each side of the handle..... Tightining them would result in tightining the E-brake cable :)
      sigpic
      iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
      Falcons Garage
      Carbotech

Comment

Originally posted by Bashar M. View Post
        Fix your handbrake and avoide anything that could missup your SMG.... Technically speaking the SMG would be fine holding the car on 1st while turned off, but if any problem (god forbid) happened you wont be able to get the car out of the 1st gear. So I would suggest getting you E-brake adjusted.

Actually you could do that your self, remove the boot covering your E-brake handle and ull notice two nuts on each side of the handle..... Tightining them would result in tightining the E-brake cable :)
        Sounds good!!! I should do that! I will look online for a DIY, for pictures. just in case! i dont want to mess up something! :)
        sigpic
        Audi R8 - White / Blk
        Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Keep us updated !
          sigpic
          07' HFP Accord | Current
          HFP Front Lip | HFP Rear Trunk Spoiler | Intake Resonator Delete | MaxSpeed Lowering Springs | Rear Seat Delete | SSP Wheels - Gold 17"s | Pirelli Tires | Custom Intake Tubes | M/T Shifter Boot | Smoked Taillights/Reverse Lights | Black Housing Headlights | Yellow Lens Fog Lights | Carbon Fiber Front Grille | Shadow Black Window Trim | Custom Rear Diffuser-like Mod | PlastiDip on Rear Emblems

/ / / M .... The Most Powerful Letter In The World

Comment

Originally posted by LSB_M3 View Post
            Sounds good!!! I should do that! I will look online for a DIY, for pictures. just in case! i dont want to mess up something! :)
            Yup thats better, i wish i had some to share....but its quit easy to do :D
            sigpic
            iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
            Falcons Garage
            Carbotech

Comment

After every tension, go on a flat empty area. Gaint a rate of speed and pull the handbrake up click by click to see how much more adjustment/tightening it needs.
              Good luck ! Ow, and be careful removing the handbrake boot, it's got plastic clips that could break easily.
              sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
              Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
              LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
              P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
              Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Yeah i will! i hate those damn clips! They always break!
                sigpic
                Audi R8 - White / Blk
                Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

bro fixing the handbreak shoe is easy and cheap ... u should do it ASAP .. i do not love keeping gear at one without having a strong handbrake
                  2004 M3 SG/IR, SMGII, SatNav, HK, MoonRoof, Phone, PDC, OEM MP3 CD Box, BBS RGR 18s with (Conti 2) & 19s OEMs. CF Cluster, Matt black SMG paddles, EAS Matt black gills & Grills, CF Splitters, Depo Fogs. Depo Side Signals, H&R Springs, Powerflex Rtabs & Fcabs, TMS subframe Reinforcement Kit, Stream line filter & Elbow, CSL front brake kit, F+R SS Lines, F+R Pagid track 4-2-1, MOTUL RBF600 RACING BRAKE FLUID DOT 4, Turner Motor sports rear Adjustable Control arms & Full CSL Kit !!

Comment

Will do tomorrow! great! :)
                    sigpic
                    Audi R8 - White / Blk
                    Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

Originally posted by LSB_M3 View Post
                      Will do tomorrow! great! :)
                      guys I have the same problem, I dont know how to tighten it, did you have the chancew to get any photos???
                      it is not urgen for me as i usually park on a flat area and keep the gear on N, but still i have to pull the H/B up to the roof...
                      lol

Comment

Take the car to any Tasjeel station, the shops there can do it in 30 minutes. They tighten a lot of handbrakes there because it's a common item that fails cars in their registration test.

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                          Take the car to any Tasjeel station, the shops there can do it in 30 minutes. They tighten a lot of handbrakes there because it's a common item that fails cars in their registration test.
                          it takes 30 minutes to tighten them??? i thought it was a quick 5 min job!
                          lift hand brake boot, tighten screws, and ur done? No??? :)
                          sigpic
                          Audi R8 - White / Blk
                          Jeep SRT/8 - Blk / Blk

Comment

hi, my car, when i put it on nuetral and turn it off, it starts beeping for a while then the sound turns off, but if it on the 1st it does switch of without the sound, i guess that bmw designed the car so when u turn it off it should be on 1st. no beeping coming out so u r fine.

correct me if im wrong

Comment

Working...
                            X