Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I want a Race Car

Hello all,
    Sorry but I've been highjacking other peoples threads and asking questions to help me find a race car. I guess I should have started this thread in the begining.
    I need all the help I can get. I'm trying to find a race car (BMW) to race in the UAE Touring Car Championship. I need to go over what's out there and figure out which is best for me. I'm looking to spend about AED 25k-50k. I know it's a big gap but that depends on what the car has. So if anyone knows of any out there please let me know. Any info about race cars in general are welcome
    Thank you
    Alqassim
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '00 BMW :///M:5 Alpine White

Mods
    Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
    Schrick cams
    Hamann Headers (High temperature coated inside and out)
    Custom made exhaust (cat delet)
    KW Coilovers V3
    WP Pro BBK (360 mm rotors, 8 pot calipers front, 6 pot calipers rear)

sigpic

First of all, decide which class you want to compete in. I think your budget is on the conservative side and will get you "something", but it'll always be missing something. If your budget allows, you may want to raise it to 70K + shipping.

However, this is if you wanted to buy a ready one (which is advisable; buy somebody else's headache). Or, you can build one locally with this breakdown (tentative):

- Chassis: E36 (6K)
    - S50 engine + 3.64 LSD + manual 5-speed: 23K
    - GC coilovers (my fav's): 15K
    - XYZ BBK: AED6200 - 7500
    - FIA items; seat, harness, fire-fighting, kill switch, roll cage, HANS: Nabil can be more accurate on this one
    - Pirelli semi slicks (suggested): 5K
    - 18" LTW rims: Kosei if you're lucky enough and could find a set @ 3K
    - General maintenance: oils, wetter, tie rods, control arms, guibo, central bearing
    - Bushings program; I can't emphasis enough how important this is: 5000 (subframe, RTAB, FCAB, diff carriers, engine/tranny mounts, RSMs, & strut tower reinforcement plates)

TOTAL: AED75,000

This is tentative and can go north from these numbers. Don't forget that you still did not play with your engine yet. The above are the basics, but there exist different schools of thought that believe a set of shocks and a couple of bushings in strategic places would do the trick, which is correct. But our TCC involves long straights and power is key just as suspension is.

Hope this helps...

Comment

Originally posted by alquazi View Post
      Hello all,
      Sorry but I've been highjacking other peoples threads and asking questions to help me find a race car. I guess I should have started this thread in the begining.
      I need all the help I can get. I'm trying to find a race car (BMW) to race in the UAE Touring Car Championship. I need to go over what's out there and figure out which is best for me. I'm looking to spend about AED 25k-50k. I know it's a big gap but that depends on what the car has. So if anyone knows of any out there please let me know. Any info about race cars in general are welcome
      Thank you
      Alqassim
      AED 25K -50K is a small budget for UAETCC
      you know that you need a FIA seat harness fire extinguishers.. Roll cage.. FIA suit Fia Helmet underwear show,,,,, i dont want to go to all the details,, entry fees that is also alot...

What i suggest to start building a car and start with RLC and in a year time you can invest on the car and Participate in UAETCC
      PIRELLI Power Is Nothing Without Control

sigpic

Comment

It depends on what car are you interested to race......

Ur only two cars are the E36, and the E30.......

E30:

Light car and can reach the 900kgs easily, amazing chasis being stiff and nible (but really twitchy while cornering), cheap price for the car it self and for the body parts later on.......

But ull have to live with the old rear subframe design that only host minimum advantages while preparing a race car.... such as having only one side differential mount (causing the twitchness on corners).....

Price : 5-10k depending on the car's condition

E36:

Not as light as the E30 and will reach 1100-1150 kgs max, longer wheel base, and better track width, a revised rear subframe, a stiffer chasis, and better suspenssion reciever as u can have a variaty of aftermarker brands.....

Price: 7-12k depending on the car's condition

Engine for both:

I'd highly recommend getting the S50B30 engine (286hp euro engine) for many reasons:

Powerfull engine, nice torque figure, built to last and can hold up alot of beating, single intake vanos that results in a less headache and less maintanance, and a great engine for force induction having a better strock than the S50B32 :)

Nabil has the complete engine, ZF transmission, and a 3.64 LSD with 40% lock increase :)

After that the car will need a set of well sorted out suspenssion :)
        sigpic
        iDingPower SII

Sponsors:

Pirelli
        Falcons Garage
        Carbotech

Comment

Originally posted by Pirelli View Post
          you know that you need a FIA seat harness fire extinguishers.. Roll cage.. FIA suit Fia Helmet underwear show,,,,, i dont want to go to all the details,, entry fees that is also alot...

What i suggest to start building a car and start with RLC and in a year time you can invest on the car and Participate in UAETCC

^as this man said... FIA goodies will cost an arm and a leg, i say over 100k easy.

50-60k is RLC budget

buy a cheap *** e36 as ayham said and start building it gradually. the good thing is that it's fun to watch the project grow and you get to learn a lot from the overall experience.

Comment

Thank you all for this feedback. You guys are great:hi:
            When I said 25k-50k I based that on some E30 race cars that I saw in the internet. These cars already come with the FIA safty equipment. I know that I would need to upgrade engine and suspension at an additional cost.

If I get something like the E30 attached, Would I be able to race it in the UAETCC as is this year. In the summer I would upgrade the motor (S50) and suspension. I would also put an E30 M3 wide body fenders and quarter panels.

I know in the end this will end up being much more than 25k-50k, but it's easier to do it this way than pay out the a big amount at once.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by alquazi; 13-11-2008, 03:04 PM.
            -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mods
            Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
            Schrick cams
            KW Coilovers V3

sigpic

Comment

25-50k dirhams right?

Comment

that last plan looks good to me

BMW history:
                07 Z4MC | 01 330ci | 99 Z3R | 93 325ic

Comment

I believe that there's an expiry date on FIA items, so it'd turn out to be worhtless.

I suggest you start with checking the rules of the UAETCC and see which class would you want to race, it'll go a long way to help us help you :)

Comment

Originally posted by Ayham View Post
                    I believe that there's an expiry date on FIA items, so it'd turn out to be worhtless.

I suggest you start with checking the rules of the UAETCC and see which class would you want to race, it'll go a long way to help us help you :)
                    That's a very good point about the expiry date.

The diffrence between the classes is the engine size, right?
                    If so then if I get a 318 I would run in class4 this year. After upgrading to the S50 I would be in class3. Unless I slap a S62 on that baby and run in class1:yippy:

Originally posted by Bruno View Post
                    25-50k dirhams right?
                    Yes

Originally posted by Haissam View Post
                    that last plan looks good to me
                    I hope it works

Mods
                    Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                    Schrick cams
                    KW Coilovers V3

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pirelli View Post
                      Again that budget was just for getting a car to start building on, but one with all the safty installed. It had nothing to do with running expensis.
                      Can I find an E30 in Jordan that might fit my needs?
                      Last edited by alquazi; 13-11-2008, 03:38 PM.

Mods
                      Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                      Schrick cams
                      KW Coilovers V3

sigpic

Comment

There are great examples of competition BMWs in Jordan. Ashraf Al Bawab's ex E30 M3 for example won the overall honors in last year's speed test, not to mention its impressive timings in Rumman Hill Climb.

But time attack setup is different from track racing. You really need to focus and now which of which you want to commit to. Come tomorrow to the GRW and see the TCC one-on-one to know what it is you want ;) I'll give you the tour in the pitlanes and introduce you to the drivers.

Comment

What is the best time to be there?

Mods
                          Evolve stage 3 ECU tune
                          Schrick cams
                          KW Coilovers V3

sigpic

Comment

You can come anytime after 9 am..

Comment

Try this guy, nogotiate hard u can really drop the price if he believes u r serious

1988 E30 M3 Race Car
                              -Evo II 2.5 spec motor built by Korman, balanced and blueprinted (http://www.kormanfastbmw.com/e30m3eng.htm)
                              -48 mm throttle bodies with larger horns
                              -Custom made cold air accumulator box with K&N racing filter
                              -Group A 2 piece stainless steel header
                              -Custom ECU chip by Active Autowerks after extensive dyno runs
                              -Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
                              -Lightened Motorsport flywheel and racing clutch
                              -Short Shift Kit (great shifter)
                              -M5 oil cooler
                              -Group N Motorsport racing suspension with custom valved Bilsteins
                              -Ground Control adjustable camber plates
                              -Rear subframe with new Powerflex bushings
                              -Rear weld-in camber and toe adjustments (Bimmerworld kit)
                              -Brake bias adjuster
                              -Stainless steel brake lines
                              -Carbotech pads all around with Tuner original M spec rotors
                              -Custom dash with panel with oil pressure, water temp, & air/fuel gages
                              -Idoit lights above dash for low fuel and oil pressure
                              -Fuel safe fuel cell with twin external Holley pumps to accumulator
                              -Fire suppression system with 3 heads (engine, passenger compartment, fuel cell area)
                              -M vented differential cover
                              -4.45 LSD rear end
                              -Full custom welded cage with Nascar Bars
                              -Korman brake ducts
                              -Battery Kill Switch, wired for radio, hot lap timer
                              -Gel sealed battery
                              -Recent corner weight and race alignment
                              -Best part for last - Evo 3 steering wheel

Past history - Converted to race car in 2002. In early 2000, the car was completly overhauled by Korman with receipts of over $30k. In 2002, the part time track car was converted to a full race car and only raced sparing since. I purchased in early 2006 from original owner and have had nothing but good luck with it (no DNFs). The car is meticulously maintained by professional shop. Recent compression and leakdown test performed and found no issues. Fresh redline fluid in trans & diff. Mobil 1 synthetic after every 2 races. The diamond schwartz paint in very good condition. Front fenders are fiberglass so show some stress cracks. Evo spoiler needs to be repainted. Prior to purchase, the hood will be replaced with replacement hood painted diamond schwartz (existing painted graphics). For a race car, the paint looks very good. Have title in hand. Comes with (2) sets of wheels and used Hoosiers (15" x 8" - Kosei and Revolution). Looking for $22.5k for turn key race car (current BMW logbook, 2004 SCCA logbook, 2007 NASA logbook).

Hopefully picture link will work. Please give me a call at 336-340-1355 if there are any questions.

http://www.ritzpix.com/net/Albums/Li...1438C1A33B6D16
                              Meskovic
                              this is as far as i understand (correct me if i am wrong) a public forum, where people share ideas on how to make the bmw lifestyle better and more pleasurable and enjoyable..where we benefit from others mistakes and learn from our own ,share experiences..all in a common goal to make everything and everyone better, not the opposite.. do i need to remind everyone of all the laughs we had and how many times we shared food and shisha together..how many times we all stayed up late to fix anothers friend (brother) issues?? This is what makes a community, us, people..a common understanding and fellowship..respect

Comment

Working...
                              X