S54 rod bearing replacement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 rod bearing replacement...

Hi guys, my Mcoupe is getting up there in kms, and i couldn't find any maintenance on the rod bearings from Abubabi BMW where the car has been most of its life..

so, i am after some rough guesstimates as to the cost of replacing the bearings... of course an oil analysis will tell wonders about the condition of the bearings.

pm'ed Hasan just before (hopefully he will chime in here) but thought this is possibly a wider audience question since there are a few S54's in our club.

looking at this kit for parts..

http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...ine-p1336.aspx

kit wise, would you think OEM better?

and then to find a shop who wants to do it. id like a rough guestimate (on how much i need to save up to get this done) and while that is getting done and the car is apart at the front, what else should be done at the same time to save on costs/labour..

i know we had a discussion in one of the other threads about coated bearings and such, so pipe in guys, lets get some conversation going.

cheers

(slowly gathering parts for upgrades/improvements) just dont tell my wife ;D
    Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Hi Vanne!

I believe the bearings cost around USD 30 or 40. Labour should be around AED 2,000; but I am not sure about that. Better check with a few reliable workshops and compare prices.

Costed bearings are not a good idea. They will have less clearance and will restrict your oil flow, especially since you will be using a 10W-60 oil. I believe OEM should be fine. However, if you need bearings with lower friction and possibly longer life, I would suggest OEM bearings with WPC treatment. This is what I have got for my car.

You might want to change the high pressure pump and oil lines as well.

Good Luck!
    Hasan
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Working...
    X