E46 M3 Aux fan always on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 Aux fan always on

Since the last few days, i've noticed that the Auxiliary Fan (the one in front of the radiator) is always on and is running on its highest rpm setting. Usually, it comes on when the ambient temperature is high and its operation is intermittent.

Did a bit of research and found out that the common cause of the problem is a faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor which sits on the lower radiator hose. I'm hoping replacing the sensor will solve the issue. I've ordered for one online (costing me about $25 including the O ring) and now waiting for it to arrive. Planning to replace it myself.

Wanted to check if anyone else has faced a similar issue?

Has anyone done a DIY Replacement of the sensor? It seems fairly straight forward. Any advice will greatly help :)

Cheers!

MWZ

- - - - - - - - - -

Here is what the part looks like:

Capture12.JPG\
    P/N:13621433077
    Current
    E92 M3 - Mineral White
    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
    E36 318is
    E39 540i ///M sport
    VW CC
    E46 M3 - Frozen White

usually bu some bmw tool you could tell the coolant temp reading then you will know if it's faulty or its just the weather is too nice :)

I will post the DIY for you once I'm back home , but if it sits at the lower side of the radiator , then draining the coolant water is must unless you are too fast while pulling old one and fitting new one depending how comfortable the work is ( looking at the sensor and I can tell it's some tricky way to pull it out ) .

Comment

Thanks Ehssan....yea, i read that you will loose some coolant in the process. Will keep a can next to me to top up once i plug it back in.

Dont have the tool to read the coolant temp :(
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Better to check it with diagnostic tool first , you are most welcome to pass by anytime in the evening and we check it together .

Comment

There are 2 sensors ( inlet - Outlet ) , and as I mentioned earlier that the diagnostic tool can tell if there is a faulty sensor . coolant sensor gives " 3EE0, 3EE1 " fault codes ,

the inlet sensor is easy to replace , but the outlet one is a bit hard ( require Removing the intake air manifold ) , attached is for reference

S54 Coolant sensor.zip
          Last edited by Ehssan; 07-08-2014, 01:25 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Thnx bro...will call you once im back, im travelling over the weekend for 2 weeks. Once Im back, i'll come over to run the diagnostics.

Cheers
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Since the car was in AGMC to check with fluid leak, i asked them to check on the Aux fan too...what they told me is that i need a new Aux fan which is going to cost me 3000-4000dhs....I dont buy that and still feel i should replace the coolant temp sensor. I've got the part with me and will be collecting the car today.
              [MENTION=1777]Ehssan[/MENTION], let me know when we catch up to run the diagnostics.
              Current
              E92 M3 - Mineral White
              F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
              E36 318is
              E39 540i ///M sport
              VW CC
              E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Hi [MENTION=1777]Ehssan[/MENTION],

I'm still running the car with the Aux fan on stage 2. Any chance we can meet up soon to run the diagnostics?

Thanks bud...
                Current
                E92 M3 - Mineral White
                F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                E36 318is
                E39 540i ///M sport
                VW CC
                E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
                  Hi [MENTION=1777]Ehssan[/MENTION],

I'm still running the car with the Aux fan on stage 2. Any chance we can meet up soon to run the diagnostics?

Thanks bud...
                  sorry dude , move to a new house and things are not as expected . a lot of mess which takes me ages to fix .

we will do that soon inshalla

Comment

in sha allah....hope all is well otherwise...will wait for you to settle down and get some free time :)
                    Current
                    E92 M3 - Mineral White
                    F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                    E36 318is
                    E39 540i ///M sport
                    VW CC
                    E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

in sha allah....hope all is well otherwise...will wait for you to settle down and get some free time :)
                      I have few cars to work on today evening under the house , you can pass by and we can work on the car at the same time .

my number is in the profile , whatsapp me if you want to pass by so I share location with you .

Comment

today is difficult bro...i could try on Saturday?
                        Current
                        E92 M3 - Mineral White
                        F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
                        E36 318is
                        E39 540i ///M sport
                        VW CC
                        E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Gitex bro . opens Saturday so noway i will be available till gitex finish :curse:

- - - - - - - - - -

Gitex bro . opens Saturday so noway i will be available till gitex finish :curse:

Comment

Working...
                          X