BMW long service interval reduced in new models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMW long service interval reduced in new models

BMW has reduced it's service interval from 30,000 KM to around 12,000 KMin 2014 cars. However one should be smart and if you have a 2012 or 2013 car, please read on.

I have heard of cases of oil sludge in BMW engines where the service interval was not respected and some people drove beyond 30,000 KM

But really, one needs to be aware of the different kinds of synthetic Oil

The long story cut short is the Synthetic oil sold in Germany, like GC - German Castrol, and European formula Mobil 1 is made of group 4 oils, which includes PAO, which is a man made chemical.

However in the USA, group 3 oils, which are really high refined mineral oils which have been hydrocracked and very high quality, are also called Synthetic oils.

It's now become very difficult to know how much of the Synthetic oil you buy has of group 4 vs group 3 base oil.

And because of this, I would reduce my service intervals, and it seems the BMW new oil change interval of 12,000 KM is about right.

Personally, because I love my car and want it to last, I might even change the oil earlier.

I think it would be useful to compile a list of oils, what they cost and where to change them, in this new light.

Thanks Ali

This is good knowledge.
    sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

How about age vs mileage? What if you havent done 12,000kms but the oil has been in the engine for a long time. When is the best time to change it in such cases where you have driven the stipulated amount of kms.
      Current
      E92 M3 - Mineral White
      F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
      E36 318is
      E39 540i ///M sport
      VW CC
      E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

I believe the manufacturer's recommendation is 1 year.

So, we know its 6 months to be safe. :)
        sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

Thanks Hasan

No longer than 1 year maximum.

always better to change oil sooner rather than later.

remember oil change is much less expensive than any kind of engine damage

Originally posted by Hasan Shaikh View Post
          I believe the manufacturer's recommendation is 1 year.

So, we know its 6 months to be safe. :)

Comment

Thanks guys...good basic info for all to keep in mind
            Current
            E92 M3 - Mineral White
            F80 M3 - SilverStone

Past
            E36 318is
            E39 540i ///M sport
            VW CC
            E46 M3 - Frozen White

Comment

Out of all the things to save money on, Oil change is the one expense you should not compromise on.

In fact even with the USA version of synthetic group 3 oils I personally think 10,000 KM is the maximum

if you're lucky enough to obtain group 4 synthetics which is sold in Germany only, then think of 15,000 KM.

Well in this kind of weather at least.

Originally posted by Wazif View Post
              Thanks guys...good basic info for all to keep in mind

Comment

Will there be any way of getting AGMC to reduce the intervals from 25,000 to 10,000 on pre-2014 cars? On my 335 its every 11,000 but in the X5M its every 25,000. Just wanted to know if theres a way of getting AGMC to do it or will I have to do it myself.

Comment

The 2014 service contracts will not be changeable, since the service contract is based on the purchase price at the time you bought the car.

To change it, you would need to pay more.

Instead of this, just pay AGMC for the extra oil change.

as I said earlier, oil is the very last thing to save money on. Eat less, but change your oil at 11,000 KM :thumbsup2:
                  Last edited by arashid; 18-06-2014, 08:32 AM.

Comment

http://www.lelubricants.com/document...thetic_lub.pdf

You can find lots more information about group 3 vs group 4 oils in this document

I think that understanding these differences are fundamental to how you will deal with oil change intervals.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

Working...
                      X