Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few issues

Just running into a couple of niggles.

Took the car to DAS Auto works to investigate a couple of leaks and an annoying whining noise (pulley/belt). All leaks were sorted, and some other bits and bobs sorted (suspension bushes, clutch bearing, fly wheel to name but a few) but also found out that one of the leaks was from the power steering which has in turn cause the whine. The leak, as said was repaired but I now need a power steering pump.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get one? There are a load on ebay, but haven't found one yet that will post to the UAE, so hoping to source one locally.

Second issue is more minor but annoying non the less. Cold running is poor for the first 10mins of driving and as a result I get a misfire under moderate load, and awful idle. It does get better once warmed up, but I still have a feeling it isn't as smooth as it could be. It shows a similar result when returning to car a couple of hours later.

When the car went into DAS, I pointed out a crack in the intake ducting (which I thought might have cause the problem), but they taped it up and the problem is still apparent.

I'll start with the easy things first (sensors, plugs, coils etc) but just wondered if anyone could offer further advice?
    Last edited by Ehssan; 11-03-2014, 01:31 PM.

Not wanting to hijack the thread by off topic-ing. But what service have you carried out earlier at that cost if you don't mind me asking?
    Drive To The Satisfaction... A Dreamer's Pursuit

2013 F10 M5 - M Drivers Package
    Alpine White / Sakhir Orange

Mods: ZCP Kidney Grilles

2009 E92 M3 - M Drivers Package
    Melbourne Red / Imola Red [Manual] (SOLD)

Mods: Full Catless AlphaMale Performance Valvetronic Exhaust | Macht Schnell Stage 2 Air Intake | H&R Lowering Springs | ECS Tuning Spacers | Carbon Fiber Front Splitters | Glossy Black Kidney Grilles | Plasti-Dipped Fender Grilles | LCI Tail Lights | Carbon Fiber H-Style Diffuser | Stage 2 Tune (Simon MotorSport) | Macht Schnell Pulleys | Carbon Fiber LowKick Trunk Spoiler

2003 E46 M3 - Carbon Black / Imola Red (BLOWN)
    Mods: Rear Smoked LEDs | Front Smoked Corner Lights | 4300K Phillips 85122+ Bulbs | BMC Drop-In Panel | Matt Black Kidney Grilles | 7500K CCFL | Matt Black Side Grilles | FOX SS Muffler | VIEZU Remap | CSL Carbon Fiber Splitters | EvoSport Under Drive Pulley Kit | K&N Cold Air Intake | K&N Scoops | Hawk Carbon-Ceramic Brake Pads | R1Concepts Zinc-Coated Cross-Drilled Rotors | Agency Power Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines | Hyper Black M3 Competition Rims | FXR Bi-Xenon Projectors w/ Clear Lenses | 70% 3M Tinting
    1997 E39 528i - Champagne Beige / Sand Beige (SOLD)
    Mods: Front & Rear OEM Facelift | K&N Cold Air Intake | Straight Pipes | MAF Delete | Custom Made Air Intake Elbow | 3.15 LSD Differential | SplitFire Spark Plugs | E36-7 Z3 OEM 17" Rims | 50% 3M Tinting

Need Assistance?
    eMail:
    Rafik@bmwclubuae.com

@Rafik_Jabbour (Link)

Comment

Originally posted by Rifo View Post
      Not wanting to hijack the thread by off topic-ing. But what service have you carried out earlier at that cost if you don't mind me asking?
      No its cool.

Attached was my invoice breakdown

Capture.JPG

Comment

Hi Matt,
        I have a e36 94 M3 too, and I can scan the car with my scanner for you. I live in Sports City and can do this most nights after 8:30pm. Rough idle during warmup, could be o2 sensors, MAF TPS off the top of my head, as I also have a rough idle and it was solved with vacuum leaks being removed, and a new TPS.

Sent you a PM with my mobile number.

cheers
        '94 Avus Blue e36 m3
        2007 LWB Prado. 2" IVD lift.GPS 276C.Bashplate.Rear Pintle Hook

Comment

Originally posted by vanhack View Post
          Hi Matt,
          I have a e36 94 M3 too, and I can scan the car with my scanner for you. I live in Sports City and can do this most nights after 8:30pm. Rough idle during warmup, could be o2 sensors, MAF TPS off the top of my head, as I also have a rough idle and it was solved with vacuum leaks being removed, and a new TPS.

Sent you a PM with my mobile number.

cheers
          Hey,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

To be honest, I've not even gone through the basics yet so could just be something or nothing. I just thought i'd ask the question as it might save me some time (and money).

Speak soon.

Cheers

Comment

yup scanner here too, welcome anytime bub.
            Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Originally posted by R6MTK View Post
              Hey,

Many thanks for that, much appreciated.

To be honest, I've not even gone through the basics yet so could just be something or nothing. I just thought i'd ask the question as it might save me some time (and money).

Speak soon.

Cheers
              The scan will take about 15 minutes for the full car, 1 minute just for the Engine ECU....probably may take you longer to get to my place than anything else. :) I would really like to see this rough idle, can you upload a good video?
              '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

I change my mind alot! haha

Yes, bought it to be a track car, then thought I didn't to ruin the poor thing on track. Then I decided I wanted to track it, but came across 2 leaks. Both fixed, but now have a noisy power steering pump.

Couple that with the fact its becoming more and more of a daily drive again (because the wife is using the other car), and that's the reason for the delay.

One day.....maybe one day!!

Anyone handy at fitting a new power steering pump? I was hoping to cut costs down after spending over 8k at DAS.

hey matt,

This is Umair also a newbie to this form and had gone through the same rejection issue to post anything but finally got through :) thank you bmwclubuae em owner of an e46 which is suffering from vanos seals wear out but that is some other issue i want to fix it for cheap (any bright ideas ?) anyways i know a friend who can solve your power steering pump issue for cheap and also know a place in sharjah. if you find this info interesting then add me on skype "umair-syed".

one more thing iam facing the same rough idle issues :( with my 328i e46 changed the coils (all 6 of them with plugs) changed the ccv and cleaned the icv :s

cheers
                Last edited by Mystic; 13-01-2014, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Hi all,

Many thanks for this, its much appreciated.

Apologies for the slow reply, I have been out of the country.

Cheers Vanhack & Vanne, for the offer of the scanners and also thanks Umair for the advice on the PS pump (i'll PM you)

I'll try and get a video tomorrow morning. I need to change the plugs anyway, and was considering doing the coils too. Will a faulty coil show on the scanner? No point in replacing all of them, if one is a bit dodgy.

I've also noticed the car pinking under heavy load (engine knocking). Used to get this back in the UK when running cheap fuel, but only ever use super here.

Cheers

Comment

Coils don't always show, I have read that they should have a certain resistance, need a multimeter to check..

e36 - How to test coil packs (w/ pics)

"Pinking", now that is an English term, anyhow this would show in the scanner if there was any pinking knocking...but what caused it may not. Best to get a scanner on there mate.
                    Last edited by RAFiK; 20-01-2014, 09:28 AM.
                    '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Coils don't always show, I have read that they should have a certain resistance, need a multimeter to check..

"Pinking", now that is an English term, anyhow this would show in the scanner if there was any pinking knocking...but what caused it may not. Best to get a scanner on there mate.
                      Thanks........I didn't know how best to explain the "pinking", but its what I grew up with! haha

I'll a tad ill at the moment, but might head over to see you later in the week if thats ok?

Again, thanks.

Matt
                      Last edited by RAFiK; 20-01-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

I know how to check a faulty coil but for this u need to open up the top plastic cover protecting the coil and spark plugs... after that u need to unscrew all the coils and then u need to start your engine. after that just by grabbing on to your coils one by one slide them out... by doing this you will feel the coils will produce a very strong knocking like sound this means its working perfectly fine... other wise it will produce a very minimal knocking like sound.. thats how ull get to know which coil is faulty btw if you are car has bremi (stock from bmw in most e46) coils then they usually get weak after 150,000 kms so probably its time to change the whole coil pack (and from bmw it is especially recommended to change the whole coil pack toghether if its bremi).
                        hope this helps u buddy if u find the above procedure hard than i know a guy (mechanic) who can do this for u with minimal charge.

cheers
                        Last edited by RAFiK; 20-01-2014, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Yes mate, no worries give me a call. Sent you PM with my mobile.
                          '94 Avus Blue e36 m3

Comment

Now for sale sadly - http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...t=1386588&nmt=

Any questions, please give me a shout.

Comment

Now for sale sadly - BMW M3 E36 - For Sale

Any questions, please give me a shout.
                              [mention] R6MTK[/mention]

[tip] please start new post under the marketplace section if the car still available for sell as the link mentioned above is dead [/tip]

Comment

Working...
                              X