Clear All

sharjah is a gold mine...

Comment

Unbelievebale
      sigpic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hashaikh11

Comment

I'll chime in on this briefly.

One, your car is not running near 50% more power and therefore 50% more heat and stress. Stress specifically on the crank shaft bearing journals.

Two, BMW engineers their crankshafts to last a lifetime of abuse north of 8,000RPMs, hours of heat soaked traffic and blizzard cold conditions.

Three, if you're that concerned about your bearing shells then just buy new OEM units.

Before you do though, check on the condition of your existing ones. And I do not suggest they be replaced if you're not hearing any noise or you've had an oil starvation issue before. Which brings me to the most vital point, check your oil pressure is within spec. If that's good and you have no bearing noise and therefore really need not do the above.

No street driven large displacement N/A V10 that produces this much power and rev as freely as the S85 can be found in something other than a super car. The smallest friction issues will show immediately on this engine.
        sigpic5/94' E36 318iS 5-spd
        Bilstein PSS|SWIFT 070's|26/18mm sways|FCABS|Sphericals|Prospec/ACS bars|M plates+shims
        LTW FW+228mm SACHS|UUC EVOII|ATS Metal LSD|Solid mounts throughout
        P&P TB|3" box|COP|FDM|De'heater plated
        Recaro|OMP|Borbet/MK Motorsports|M DSII's|Custom lip

Comment

Thanks Amer!

The problem is the clearance on the bearings. Its too tight to allow proper oil flow; especially if one is using a 10W-60.

This results in excessive wear on the bearings and eventually results in a catastrophic engine failure. There have been numerous cases of this in Europe and USA.
          sigpic

Comment

Quite interestingly as you no doubt know, bmw now recommends 5w30 in place of its 10w60 oils... Magically like...
            Just wondering what the thinner viscosity of the lower 5 weight oil would do for said bearings.. ?

I once more would ofcourse look at increasing oil flow/px if your that worried out the bearings, though Iam not sure unless you are tracking your car a LOT, it deserves this kind of exposure. Yes there have been a few catastrophic failures of the s54 ( no doubt the v8/10 too), but I would think thee are many, many more humming along without any dramas what so ever.

The first step, if you ARE concerned would be to get your oil checked.. The metal analysis will give you your answer. Obviously starting from a base line, you would need 2 oil checks..

As always your milage(or kays as we have here in the UAE) May vary. :)
            Last edited by Vanne; 17-11-2013, 06:22 PM.
            Bimmerian. Carma FF race exhaust. BMW DMK 6 Ultra Short Shift kit. CDV X. BMW Performance CSL 19" Rims. Apex. Stop-Tech. RPI. APR Aero. CSL intake. Epic Alpha-N. KW Clubsports. GC race sways. Tillett. Sabelt. 288/280. SuperSprint s1 - cats. Custom roll bar, rear STB, ME stb, Brembo 6x4 :w00t:

Comment

Thanks Vanne

I have also read the approved lubricant listing and the addition of the OE 5W-30 is not really surprising. Its a shame BMW took so long to acknowledge that there is a problem. The thinner oil is better as it will have better flow. The negative side is that it will not have the film strength at high RPMs. This is why I feel that the 5W-50 is an ideal oil for these engines. If its good enough for the LFA, its good enough for the S85.

The only way to increase the oil flow is to machine the journals and use bearings with more clearance. In my opinion, which might be completely wrong, the cars that are racked should have better bearing life. 1) The oil will shear and will become thinner and flow better. 2) The car will be driven at above normal operating temps and thinner oil. Unfortunately, the S65 and the S85 have had an abnormally high rate of engine failure due to spun bearings. And the numbers are increasing as the mileage is going up. So basically, most of the engines that have above 100k kms on them are time bombs. Its not a matter of if it will happen. Its just a matter of when it will happen.

I really wanted to get the oil analysis done. But I dont have the time to get it done.

Originally posted by Vanne View Post
              Quite interestingly as you no doubt know, bmw now recommends 5w30 in place of its 10w60 oils... Magically like...
              Just wondering what the thinner viscosity of the lower 5 weight oil would do for said bearings.. ?

I once more would ofcourse look at increasing oil flow/px if your that worried out the bearings, though Iam not sure unless you are tracking your car a LOT, it deserves this kind of exposure. Yes there have been a few catastrophic failures of the s54 ( no doubt the v8/10 too), but I would think thee are many, many more humming along without any dramas what so ever.

The first step, if you ARE concerned would be to get your oil checked.. The metal analysis will give you your answer. Obviously starting from a base line, you would need 2 oil checks..

As always your milage(or kays as we have here in the UAE) May vary. :)
              sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment